Are many people here still using their HD-1/10s? - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:39 AM   #151
Major Player

Enjoy the FX7 Damon. Good luck to you.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:14 PM   #152
Major Player

Tiffen Filters Demo

Probably over doing this thread and it's not JVC GR-HD1 specific, but thought I'd post this YouTube link that shows some of the Tiffen filter effects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssx40e6Jrts&

Searching YouTube for other things (steadycam, steadicam, steadystick, etc.) brings up some interesting results that I never thought of looking there for before. Nice resource.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #153
Major Player

Wild. I missed this post! Seems we were both posting at about the same time. I saw my new post and scrolled down and not up. I was looking for something I'd read here and just saw your reply and was very surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Moore View Post
Hi Dave, thanks for being on the lookout, it's always nice to be wanted:)
Well, you're brilliant and real world, a feeling shared by at least two people.

Quote:
What we've used for 98% of the project is just two semi heavy standard filters--1 is a 1/4 Black mist tiffen filter and the other is a Tiffen Soft FX 3 filter
That's an interesting combination. I'll pass this on to my much more experienced associate and I'm certain he'll nod and say "Yep, she's brilliant." I know he has a set of the black diffusion filters and a slew of others.

Quote:
give one of the female characters even more of a glow (it's still not obnoxious, like when they smear vaseline and nylons over Cybil Shepperd's close-ups).
Reminds me of the old Star Treks where they'd WAY overdo the filtering on the female love interests of Captain Kirk. A few times they'd cut to him (crisp) and back to the woman (super-soft and glowing like a light bulb) as they hypnotically gazed at each other and it was a severe change. Later, they started using some diffusion on him to mellow the difference out. Struck me as funny.

I remember seeing a parody where a fan didn't recognize one of his favorite stars and didn't even believe her when she told him who she was. She opens her purse and pulls out some diffusion glasses and says, "Here, try these." He puts them on and now sees her in her usual overly diffused glow and starts swooning. :-)

Quote:
But my favorite lens trick is something that because it eats up so much light and is so pronounced we use sparingly is in deed taking out the lenses of holiday specs,
I'm assuming they're like diffraction gratings but they don't look big enough to be in front of a lens. Hmm.

Quote:
also because of the holographic process, it gives the whole area a subtle, romantic lavender-grey glow, and really mellows the image in a beautiful, dreamlike way.
Cool! Thanks, Bets, again you've come through with useful information. I really appreciate it and know my associate will be running around testing and making filter sandwiches mumbling, "She's brilliant!" :-)
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #154
Major Player

David: Thanks, and we to be honest are finally enjoying the life out of the FX7. I am back in school, so I am trying to get used to the editing with the camera and the processing power it takes to work with the video. It seems it takes even more "oomph" than the HD1 to work with. But I am pretty much able to downconvert to SD in a pretty decent timeframe.

But July 22 is coming pretty fast and I will definately upgrading to a quad so I think that will help out...

D
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #155
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gaskin View Post
But July 22 is coming pretty fast and I will definately upgrading to a quad so I think that will help out...
What happens on the 22nd? It's closer now. :-)

I recently changed my mind and will be getting an 20" iMac and will be adding my 20" Viewsonic to it for two 20" monitors -- I want a 30" but... Since it will run Windows and Mac OS I decided it will work nicely for me. Waiting for the rumored Aug. 7th announcement.

Making a poor man's steaycam from a monopod I just bought, just need the 2-1/2 pound weight and maybe a handle. Added a quick release to the monopod (on top of the QR it came with but I want them all the same) and the aluminum shoulder rest I just purchased. Also, added a couple more fluorescent lights to my video lighting kit. Just need a hand mike (I have a lavaliere, mix mike and shotgun) and I'm set.

Last edited by Dave Eaton; July 19th, 2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #156
Major Player

Hi Dave! The 22nd is when they are supposed to drop the price of the quad chip. I actually already purchased it and will simply be going back for the difference in price. Its a great processor for working with video though to be honest. I also upgraded and have 4gigs of memory now. So everything is working pretty well.

And I am in love with the FX7! It is alot of camera for the price. Has alot of features and the video quality is great, even when downconverted to SD.. So I am happy at the moment.. LOL

D

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U