Are many people here still using their HD-1/10s? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gaskin View Post
my SD card wasn't in the camera or box so we had to report that to B&H also.
Look in the card slot, that's where mine was.

Quote:
I installed my wireless on the handle already, and for the life of me cannot figure out how to attach the varizoom to the editing cable!
Varizoom?

Quote:
pick up some JVC cassettes, but I am getting antsy with the excellence and other tapes sitting here.
I'm from the "use what ya got" school -- amazed there wasn't a JVC tape included with the camera to get us started. I think (remember, I'm no expert) that a lot of the discussion on tapes is from the old days. Haven't heard of anyone having a problem with switching brands of tapes, etc. Tape technology has improved.

Quote:
As for the bag with the combo, its really nice. Very sturdy looking, so I believe I am going to order one.
Cool. I have a bunch of bags and a spare hard case or two for mine.

Have FUN playing!
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #62
Major Player

Dave: That was the first place I checked. There wasn't one in the card slot at all. Also, I then checked both the box of the camera and there wasn't one there either.

Varizoom: Its a Lanc zoom controller that you can find at www.varizoom.com. The one I have allows for remote zoom, focus, data display, and also to review what I just recorded while still in videoing mode. The thing that is wierd is that the edit cable has a male cable but the varizoom also has male. So I think I may need a male to female converter or something to link the two together. But I am going to try and contact B&H.

Actually, I have discovered how to connect the two, but now I need a converter as the lanc jack is smaller than the extension cable that was given with the camera. Adapters, adapters, adapters.... Never ends... LOL
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Dave: That was the first place I checked. There wasn't one in the card slot at all. Also, I then checked both the box of the camera and there wasn't one there either.
Hmm. I didn't think mine came with one until my friend said to look in the camera. Wouldn't have thought it would come installed. Surprised me. Being an 8mb card makes it pretty much useless. Luckily, SD cards are cheap now. Just saw a 2GB one with reader for $20, shipped free: http://www.supermediastore.com/sandi...dealnews070504

I check here for Windows/general deals http://www.dealnews.com and here for Mac deals http://www.dealmac.com daily.

Quote:
Varizoom: Its a Lanc zoom controller that you can find at www.varizoom.com. The one I have allows for remote zoom, focus, data display, and also to review what I just recorded while still in videoing mode. The thing that is wierd is that the edit cable has a male cable but the varizoom also has male. So I think I may need a male to female converter or something to link the two together. But I am going to try and contact B&H.
Okay, I know what those are, just didn't think you could get one to work with the GR-HD1. Let me know.
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #64
Major Player

Hi Dave. Well, it is looking like you can't get it to work. Supposedly from the b&h site, with the editing cable you are supposed to, but the lanc jack is smaller than the cable/editing cord that came with the camcorder. I am not sure now if I simply require an adapter or this is pretty much a washout on the varizoom. I find the zoom control to be pretty nice actually. I will just have to get used to using it, but I could get by with it. So we will certainly see!! But I do want to use the varizoom for sure if possible.....

I am playing with it a bit now. I also had a tape in mine for some reason from the factory. It would have been nice for them to not include the tape and give me my SD card.. LOL I am however using the sony tape for my tests and all has gone well... I have the autogain off, recording to hd and messing with both zoom and focus. I like the focus alot and am getting used to it already... It is working well. I am shooting stationary shots though... Anyhew, I am off for more play...

Damon
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #65
Regular Crew

im so jealous. My order still says its processing. Its driving me nuts!!
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
But I do want to use the varizoom for sure if possible.....
Well, if you get it to work, holler.

Quote:
I am playing with it a bit now. I also had a tape in mine for some reason from the factory.
Hmm. Interesting. Tape was blank, right? Just curious if it was a returned unit. I, for about a minute, had considered returning mine and getting the HD10 but decided not to. Kind of wanted the XLR grip but decided I'd be better off getting a Beachtek XLR adapter, when XLR is needed, so I can have level controls.

For now, my mike needs will be covered by a shotgun and lavaliere I have. Internal mike works well, too, I talked during a lot of my testing and it picked up my voice quite well. Ambient sounds at the manufacturing company were quite clear, too.

I may get something like a low-end Azden wireless setup later, maybe not since wired mikes are less hassles.

Quote:
It would have been nice for them to not include the tape and give me my SD card.
An 8MB SD card vs. a tape...hmm, that's a toss up. Personally, I'd find the tape more useful than the small card so.

Quote:
I have the autogain off, recording to hd and messing with both zoom and focus. I like the focus alot and am getting used to it already... It is working well. I am shooting stationary shots though...
Found all the controls already? You're faster than I was.

Quote:
Anyhew, I am off for more play...
About time! :-)
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #67
Major Player

Gregg: Sorry dude! I think you will find its well worth the wait. It is a pleasant suprise for me and my friend. Its definately not a palmcorder and one that is deserving of a tripod. We found this out while shooting at the local skate park. I will post some piss poor clips in a bit or maybe tomorrow.

And on the varizoom, to be honest, I don't even know if it's worth the hassle after the last test outside at the skate park. You simply can tilt the tape mechanism forward and have access to the zoom mechanism which is actually pretty smooth. The tripod is what is going to be the test on whether or not I require the varizoom. For handheld, definately not required and probably would not only be in the way, but a bit of a hassle.

The tape is an interesting one. It basically is a test tape with I believe they are called "color plumes" that they measure resolution with. I and my friend believe it was a test tape and my unit was one of the randomly selected to test for quality and resolution. Which to be honest makes me feel more comfortable. I do know because of this that my unit was manufactured or at least tested in August of 2006. LOL But I also believe this is why there wasn't a SD card in the unit. I simply think they forgot to put it back in. But best buy has a 1GB SD for 19 bucks, so it's not a biggie. But I did pay for it, so I would like it..

And the controls are pretty easy to get to, so it is not quite like second nature yet, but I will say if I play with it for the next week for at least an hour a day, I will have it completely down I think.

And the wireless I have is one of the Azden inexpensive units and they work well enough. And it's easy to be honest. Basically just like a shotgun with a single plug and thats about it. There are two channels which are indicated by the color of the light on the reciever, and this will tell you what channel your on. I also have an Azden shotgun which to me is a bit noisy, so I will be looking at another shotgun. Possibly a Rhode unit.

I did think that the dvd was a bit informative as there were things like the ND filters that they recommended that I was wondering after reading some posts on the necessity for them on this unit.

Well, I am off to eat and try to get the video into Premiere(another issue that I found annoying and disturbing with the age of this unit, but this may be an issue with my machine and setup).

But if I can get the Varizoom to work, I will let you know for sure and how I get it to work. I am thinking and just need to investigate and that I simply need an adapter for the sizes. I will call Varizoom next week to find out though, or I may call B&H.

Ok, I am out dudes! I will post links to view tomorrow... Have a great evening..

D
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Toope View Post
im so jealous. My order still says its processing. Its driving me nuts!!
Sorry about that. Their short work week, Paypal validation process (mine took a day or two) and shipping to you will slow things a bit. In the interim you can read the manual (again), surf, and think of all sorts of things you're going to shoot with it when it does arrive.

The time will soon pass...
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #69
Regular Crew

well im sure that when it all gets here ill be having a blast. Im looking forward to seeing some of your sample clips so that I can see what this cam is caplible of. I watched lots already, but always interested in seeing more.
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #70
Regular Crew

thought you guys might want to see this, as some of you were talking about some cool accesories for this camera. Here is a site that sells a nice universal matte box.

http://www.imagewest.tv/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=27

Looks like a great deal.
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
Its definately not a palmcorder and one that is deserving of a tripod. We found this out while shooting at the local skate park. I will post some piss poor clips in a bit or maybe tomorrow.
My friend told me that now I should work on on my holding and panning techniques, and learn to do a "steadycam walk" for smoother hand held work. He made one of the steadycams from the link I posted a few days ago and said it needs a few tweaks but it works pretty well -- he has some commercial ones as well but loves to tinker.

Quote:
I do know because of this that my unit was manufactured or at least tested in August of 2006.
Is the tape dated or something? You compare serials with your friend?

Quote:
But best buy has a 1GB SD for 19 bucks, so it's not a biggie. But I did pay for it, so I would like it.
Understood, I have this strange desire to get what I paid for, too. You saw my note with the link for the 2GB card with the reader and free shipping for $20, right?

Quote:
And the controls are pretty easy to get to, so it is not quite like second nature yet, but I will say if I play with it for the next week for at least an hour a day, I will have it completely down I think.
I'm at the point that I can pretty much do what I want without too much thought now. I juggling regular work, learning the camera, relearning the NLE apps, etc., but I'm getting there. Playing with the camera is the most fun though. Nice that you have a local friend to learn with.

Quote:
And the wireless I have is one of the Azden inexpensive units and they work well enough.

I also have an Azden shotgun which to me is a bit noisy, so I will be looking at another shotgun. Possibly a Rhode unit.
My mikes are Audio-Technica's that I bought a few years ago and were still new-in-box a month ago. They worked well in my tests on the other camera, I'll run some tests on the HD1 soon. For my needs wired mikes should work well, won't be very far from the people I'll be filming so the long run benefits of XLR's won't be needed (yet). Probably won't be using the shotgun much either, like the looks of it on the camera though. Dog and pony show appeal.

Here's my wireless mike story for you. A few years ago, just days after I got the Optura a friend asked me if I'd shoot his last teaching session before he moved to another state. I told him I couldn't as I was totally clueless at that point. He insisted and said he'd set up his Sony DV for me so all I'd have to do is watch it and change tapes. I could shoot long with his, experiment with mine, and edit in anything I liked from mine. Silly me, I agreed to do it.

It was a comedy of errors:

1. He was running late and there was zero setup time. As opposed to the half hour he promised me I got a darn fast 1-2 minute rundown and he took off for the front of the room which was 80-100'+ away from me.

2. The place was dim, VERY dim. Worse, seems he knew less than I did and adjusted the brightness on the LCD (not the gain on the camera) to make it look like it was capturing nicely in the dim light. I was thinking my camera sucked as his LCD was looking nice and mine was barely showing an image.

3. He had a nice expensive wireless setup that was around the corner from where I was in a very hard to get to place (had to move my camera to get to it). We quickly did a sound test while he was in the back with me. I took the headphones off to play with my camera as he ran to the front to start the class. When I stuck the headphones back on and they were dead silent, I could head him faintly in the background.

It took me ten minutes of climbing over people and staring blankly at equipment I'd never seen before with a borrowed a cigarette lighter for light to discover the antenna on the receiver was fully down. I extended it and the meters. Whew, that was the only thing I knew to check.

4. Back at the camera, feeling a bit better, I heard him announce to the SRO audience that thanks to the efforts of his talented buddy, me, there would be tapes of the class available in a week or so. WHAT?!?

It was a two-hour class and the tapes from both cameras were as close to blank as you could get -- can you say "black cat in a coal mine?" That's when I learned to never buy a bottom feed camera again, too. What a pain.

Quote:
Well, I am off to eat and try to get the video into Premiere(another issue that I found annoying and disturbing with the age of this unit, but this may be an issue with my machine and setup).
What issue about Premiere is annoying? I was rather pleased that the issues those first adopters had with the NLE's I have and the HD1 were in the past and solved. Being on the bleeding edge isn't always fun.

Quote:
But if I can get the Varizoom to work, I will let you know for sure and how I get it to work. I am thinking and just need to investigate and that I simply need an adapter for the sizes. I will call Varizoom next week to find out though, or I may call B&H.
I must not know how a Varizoom works or where you plug it in on the HD1. I don't see a Lanc connection. Then, I didn't see the Menu or Backlit buttons either. :-)
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #72
Major Player

Dave, wow, that was alot. I am going to try and remember everything. And yes, that is another thing myself and my friend were talking about: That we need to improve on our handheld techniques. But I feel like an old man with unsteady hands... LOL But definately needs work. I got some footage and made a dvd just for my friend to show her husband, but I will do a short capture of my tank(saltwater) for you guys, that stuff was just too shaky. But it certainly looks good.

And yes, the tape is dated August 6, 2006. It is sort of funny to be honest. And nope, I didn't compare serials with my friend. I figured I have the warranty, the camera works well, and I will as you suggested purchase the extended JVC warranty, so I think I am good on that.

And yes, the strange desire to get what you paid for, seems to be one that is on the decline or something as when companies don't do that, or people don't give you that, they think "you" are strange and try to poke holes in what your attempting to do. I haven't heard from B&H yet, but they are usually from my experience excellent with these sort of things. So from them, I to be honest am not too worried. The thought did cross my paranoid mind that they may say, send the whole camera back, which to be honest wouldn't make any sense just for the little SD card, but these days, you never know. And no, I must have missed the link. But I have a reader already, and simply need a card at this point. I checked the Best Buy ad this week, but forgot about the card.. So I will have to do that once again.

And yes, pretty much the same here with the guggling act. It is a neverending task I think we are all faced with..

And on your friends story, all I can say is "I am sorry dude".. LOL But you know, I think we have all faced that sort of scenerio in one way or another to be honest. Mine was a step show I did when I first began editing and videoing. It was a nightmare to say the least! Low light, people constantly in the way, walking past the camera making goofy faces(drunk people are simply retarded so I found out that night... Moreso than I thought) and more. The only saving grace is that one guy brought in a video light, so we could actually video with some light. So I feel your pain. I would also like to get some more wireless mics also maybe for her setup, like from what I saw diversity mics or something of tht nature. And yes, bottom loading tapes suck for sure! That is how my previous camera is/was, and it was a major pain.

And Premiere.. Urrgghhh.. I had to have a drink on this one. I had capture issues and that is all I can say. I am bound by NDA, so I can't really go into it. But I did and it was a major downer. What setting or preset do you use and which revision of Premiere are you using?

And the funny thing with the Varizoom is that there isn't a lanc jack. Supposedly from the instructions and on the B$H site, using the Svid/AV/editing cable, you should be able to connect the Varizoom. B&H sells them as an accessory for it. On the end of that cable, you will notice there is a hole in the plug next to the black, male editing cable. In that hole, I shined a light, and it is from what I saw actually a connector. I plugged in the edit cable extension and it snapped in without a problem, but the issue is that the actual Lanc jack cable from the varizoom is smaller than this editing cable connection. So I am not sure if this is compatable or not. But I guess I will find out one way or another if it is. But I am hoping it is, especially with the rods system and acessories I indicated above. The only reason I am even pressing it is that they do indicate it as an acessory and also with the editing cable, in the description they say it does have the function. I just need to find out how and if it's really possible. But I will let you know for sure the findings.

Greg: Thank you for the link on the Matte box but I will probably go with the two links below to build the system for this cam:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ad_System.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Matte_Box.html

I am not sure as of yet about the rails system for sure, as they have a few available. So I will fully have to see on that one.

Well, I am off to do a water change in the tank, a little algea maintenence and then to video the tank!!!
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
What setting or preset do you use and which revision of Premiere are you using?
I'm not using Premier. I'm on a Mac using Final Cut Pro. Thinking of trying Vegas on Windows in the not too distant future. I'm interested in DV Rack/On Location for direct to disk and some of the other features though so I may have a look at Premier CS3 eventually.

Quote:
And the funny thing with the Varizoom is that there isn't a lanc jack. Supposedly from the instructions and on the B$H site, using the Svid/AV/editing cable, you should be able to connect the Varizoom.
This is out of my area, so let us know how it works out.
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #74
Regular Crew

i too would sure like to know if you get the verizoom working as That would be a great accesory to have. I do a lot of tripod shooting so that would sure help with nice steady zooms.

Keep us informed.
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #75
Major Player

Hi guys. Well, the Varizoom is definately a no go according to B&H and they are going to remove it from their site as an accessory. So that is the skinny on that one.

I got a clip of my tank, but it is too large, and the encoding I am not satisfied with, so I am going to try to reincode. I will try to post a link later though. I am in love with the look for sure!

I will be back later!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U