The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 7th, 2003, 08:10 AM   #151
Major Player

That's interesting. I like the compact PalmCorders a lot and I do use Panasonic tapes. I realize the compact models are more expensive. One of the great benefits of the PalmCorders is that the tapes eject from the side or top, not the bottom.

I'll take another look at the regular PalmCorders. Thanks.

Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 10:54 AM   #152
Wrangler

I use the ZR40 as a deck, and as a "fun" camera. (who wants to lug out an XL1 for birthday parties?)
It works great as a deck. I've used the Sony clamshell style (can't remember the model) portable deck, and don't think it was that much better (except for the LCD).
Plus you can't beat the price.
Old March 8th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #153
Tourist

I opted for a JVC dual deck SR-VS30U. Not cheap, but does a great job. Also allows 1-touch dubbing between MiniDV tapes & VHS or S-VHS tapes -- either direction!! Additionally, I mounted a 19 in. Panasonic from WalMart's on top as monitor for both my editing-in-process work (using Pinnacle Edition) and for reviewing the tapes and cataloging them, which is a pain using a camera deck.
L. Frank Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #154
New Boot

Effects of using an old camera as a deck?

Greetings,

As some of you know, I am a student and cannot afford a real mini DV deck to go along with my GL2 although I have my eyes on the Panasonic AG-DV1000 or the AG-DV1DC. I want to use my Optura Pi as a deck. The Optura Pi has gone through much stress and wear. I mixed many many tapes with Sony, TDK, and Panasonic tapes. With some of those tapes reused like 10 times or more. It was my first camcorder as I was introduced to digital video and NLE. The question is, after years of stress on the video heads of the Optura Pi, wouldn't it effect quality of the footage shot in my GL2 when playing back or importing into my NLE computer? I come to ask because to me, it sounds like debris (i.e. from lubricants of the tapes) on the heads from all that mixing can possibly makes its way onto the tape shot with my GL2. This also leaves a fear if I want to playback or record over the tape with my GL2. My Optura Pi has gone through much abuse, the dents in the body proves it.
Colossians 3:23-24
---
www.phonghuynh.com

Phong Huynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 04:12 AM   #155
Major Player

???camera as a deck

Good Day, Phong.

Chances are, that the heads on your old unit need to be re-aligned, after long use.

Over all, I would guess that the GL2 has far superior electronics, to any prosumer equipment more than 3 years old.

Frankly, I would opinion, that you are the only one in position to determine the quality of any transfers between units.

The rest of us would be just guessing.

Good Luck.
Old June 20th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #156
Wrangler

I dunno I tried using my GL-1 as a deck for my DVX100 and for some reason I was getting a crackling noise in my audio. At first I thought it was distortion from the original recording but I tried capturing the tape right through the DVX100 and the audio crackle went away. Apparently that proves that some DV cameras aren't apt for capturing DV shot on another camera- why, I don't know.
So using and old worn out deck might not end up being your bottleneck. Just a heads up.
As far as the quality being any less I doubt it. It's digital it's either on or off....in other words if it's going to be glitched in some way it'll be in such a way it's easily noticeable.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 03:13 AM   #157
Major Player

Using an old camera as a deck

Glen,

Off hand I would suggest that your auto gain control of the audio on the receiving instrument, may have been engaged. It would therefore bring up an awful lot of crap.

If it can be switched off, give it a try.

I would also reiterate, any electronics over 3 years old, unless it is commercial, just can't handle the new equipment. Improvements have been that quick; and, that good.
Old June 25th, 2003, 02:34 AM   #158
Regular Crew

Record deck choice

I've been using my XL1s as my record deck from the computer. I was recently told it might be better if I got another, cheaper deck for this task (so as not to grind the gears and whatnot). The person suggested a Canon ZR-60. Does anyone else have an opinion on this or any other possible (cheaper) deck solutions?

Thanks
Annie Cheatham
Annie Cheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 02:50 AM   #159

You could even use an older ZR45 (or ZR50, ZR55), which you may still be able to find available in certain stores with a warranty and which should cost noticeably less than a ZR60.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 12:43 AM   #160
Regular Crew

You can buy a Canon ZR40 for around 350.00 dollars. I have one I use to mount to helicopter skids for exterior shots and other remote uses, and as recording deck for remote external lipstick-cams.

The picture quality is good, but noticeably inferior to the XL-1 in a side by side comparison. Then again what "isn't" inferior to the XL-1?

I used to use my XL-1 as a deck. That will eventually cost you $280.00 in tune-up costs at the Canon factory - which, by the way, I highly recommend.

My suggestion would be to save up for a real deck. I bought a brand new JVC HR-DVS2 on eBay for 800.00. Before you choke on the price - this is a dual deck system that consists of a DV deck and a Super VHS deck. Not only can I import clips from the DV deck and VHS deck, but I can also copy dv--->VHS, and dv<---VHS. And it saves my XL-1 wear and tear.

My philosophy is, if you can't afford it now, wait and save until you can. The short term, quick fix solution will always cost more in the long run, than it would have to buy the quality product.

Get the right product the first time.
(and trust me, I am not a rich person, but I have learned the joys of selling my no-longer-used toys on eBay to fund new equipment.)
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #161
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

If you stick with that philosophy, Eric, you may well become a "rich man". I really agree wholeheartedly. While the inexpensive-camcorder-as-deck may seem like a good, cost-conscious choice I've never endorsed it. Camera tape transports are just not designed for the back-and-forth cueing motions that capture often requires. Ultimately, if your capture needs are frequent and demanding, the camera-deck will crap-out prematurely. If, at that point, you decide to buy a true deck you've essentially paid the price of the camera-deck as a substantial penalty tax.

I've used a Panasonic AG-DV1000 deck for over two years with no problems whatsoever. I believe it's been discontinued in favor of the AG-DV2000.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #162
Wrangler

Hi Eric,

Maybe you can help me figure out a problem I'm having with the JVC HR-DVS3U I just bought. When I plug it in with 'firewire' my PC tells me it can't find the software needed to install the thing (XP). If I work around the error messages I can capture, but there are artifacts and glitches when I get it on the timeline (VV4). I took the deck to a recording shop, they hooked it up to two different PC's using XP, and it captures "beautifully." They're telling me it must be my firewire card, which happens to be a VIA VT6306. Interestingly enough, we've tried it on two PC's and had the problem on both. I've researched until I'm ready to give up: Both JVC and VIA say their card doesn't need drivers; XP doesn't list any drivers for either the deck or the card.

Any thoughts?
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:29 PM   #163
Regular Crew

...responded to Lorinda via e-mail.
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #164
New Boot

Recommended DV DECK for XL1s ????

Would anyone know a good DV VCR deck that will play the Canon XL1s tapes? I tried the Sony GVD-1000 Mini DV VCR but it didn't work. The picture was decent, but the sound was very choppy and sometimes didn't play at all. Very jumpy.

I've heard that some decks don't play the XL1s tapes very well, because of the recording speed? Do you know anything about this?

Is there a reliable deck out there that doesn't have any problems with the XL1s?

Thank you.
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #165
Sponsor: JET DV

I've had good luck with the Panasonic AG-DV2000.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line