The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 17th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #271
Regular Crew

Sony DV deck dubbing XL1S tapes.. that work?

anyone have any experience with dubbing 44.1khz canon stuff on a sony deck (which the specs seem to say 32khz and 48khz are all it supports). I am not super smart when it comes to sound stuff, so i dont know if the quality can be "upsampled" without the sound being out of synch as well (much like how downsampling 25fps to 24fps slows the footage).

Anyone know?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=242757&is=REG
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 07:46 PM   #272
Wrangler

Last I knew, the Canon (at least NTSC version) does not capture at 44.1 kHz audio sample rate. It is 48 kHz 16-bit or 32 kHz 12-bit.

You should not have a problem copying to the GV-D1000. Any GOOD audio editing software should be able to upsample accuraely if necessary.
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #273
Regular Crew

hmm.. maybe i'm crazy.. i dont know why my brain wants to say it was 44.1 haha. if it's 48, then cool. Thanks don.
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #274
Wrangler

YOur brain is not totally bonkers. 44.1 kHz sample rate is the standard for CD and MiniDisc. I believe that it is a little used/supported option for digital video. For example the Sony DHR-1000 DV VCR can play 44.1 kHz 16-bit audio (and 32 kHz 16-bit audio for that matter), but cannot record in that mode.
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:04 AM   #275
Major Player

I am not a fan of using camcorders as video decks, however, if one uses a camera to shoot, and then uploads from camera b, this does insure that the tape path alignment of both cameras must be correct otherwise the signal won't play back in the b camera. This method is superior to using one camera to do everything.

If one is going to get a video deck afford a deck that plays the bigger DV-CAM tapes that could be a nice addition, but then again I can't stand
the decks that have no led meters on them.

So suddenly you are up to a couple of thousand dollars!
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:32 AM   #276
Regular Crew

adam

you arnet crazy, im not sure of the rates but have had problems in the past with audio in the past dubbing dv to beta. for some reason the high end sony decks would get major audio dropouts...as luck would have it my old net also had several older less high end sony decks and the dub from those worked fine.... seems the less expensive the sony dvcam deck the better the dub from canon source dont know why but hope this helps.

m
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:30 AM   #277
Major Player

I've been keeping my eye out for a consumer camera to use as a deck... and would love to hear some specific suggestions of models that might work best.

Would love to find one with a damaged CCD since I wouldn't use that anyway.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:38 AM   #278
Major Player

I've spent the past 2 years using an el cheapo JVC camera as a deck and would still do that in portable situations but it doesn't look real professional, clients are starting to edit with me and I needed a deck that would also allow me capture from analog. I got a JVC pro deck from the classifieds here and it hass component video outs! I worked at a company using the svhs/DV dual and had problems with the 2 machines we had. Get a separate SVHS deck if you need it... less to go wrong.

Josh
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:00 PM   #279
Major Player

Which JVC mini-deck has the component out?

When you say component are you referring to the three cable component signal?
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:23 PM   #280
Wrangler

Sony GR-D300 tape deck problems

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anybody could help me?

I have just aquired free of charge a GRD300 sony MiniDV tape Deck, I got it free because it has 1 problem, which is:

When you play a miniDV tape it will load and except it, play for about 6 seconds then flash caution and turn its self off. I can turn it back on again and eject the tape to do it all again.

3 questions:

1) Has anybody come across this problem, if so how did you overcome it?

2) Is it worth getting it repaired?

3) How much is the deck worth if it was fully functional?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:47 PM   #281
Major Player

Bought it right here!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23508

"This versatile unit is also the only DV machine to feature both component inputs/outputs and an RS-422 interface. Additional systems flexibility is assured by Y/C component connectors, JVC 12-pin control connectors, and an optionally available RS-232C interface, allowing you to use the BR-DV600U with just about any existing linear editing system - whether it's analog or digital. "

-http://www.dvecompany.com/brdv600.htm
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:29 PM   #282
Major Player

I use the TRV-19 as a deck and it works just fine.

(it has a surprising amount of little holes in it to stick cables..)

Firewire doesn't necessarly go both ways. The big sony cams only go out for example. (not that too many people want to use them as decks anyway..)
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:07 PM   #283
Major Player

I bought two JVC mini-dv/SVHS decks and both of them had major sound problems within 30 days. I bought them refurbished, so I probably got what I deserved.

I now use a JVC GR500U (cam) for a deck and it works great. I can also export from the computer, through the cam to my SVHS VCR with no problem (or to a monitor).

I paid about $300 for the cam new and have used it on a couple of trips when I didn't want to take the "good camera"!
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:15 PM   #284
Regular Crew

These negative expieriences with the JVC MiniDV/SVHS have got me spooked. I was planning on buying one very soon, and at $800+ for a new one (plus decent respect for the JVC brand) I was thinking it would be a solid performer. Can anyone with this deck offer up some positive support?
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:00 PM   #285
Major Player

camera as a deck has another advantage... portability. no plug in needed... can edit in the car if I have the juice for the pbook...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line