The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #556
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
The dsr-11's I've used were freakin workhorses and we couldn't break them if we tried. Just use some common sense. If your brain is telling you to run a cleaning tape, then just do it, it'll take a whole minute of your life but if it makes you feel better then go ahead.
As a side note, was that the golden age of Sony prosumer electronics? The pd150's and dsr-11's just worked dang it. They were well built and lasted forever. At least the ones I worked with anyway. Now stuff just seems cheaper. Sorry to get sidetracked.

Ethan,

You are SPOT ON. I have a PD-150 and a DSR-11 deck. Bought them both 5 years ago....both still work like they are brand new. They are both absolute WORKHORSES and I still use them both all the time. Shot a 2 hour meeting last night for the PBS station with my PD-150 and am working on capturing it now with my DSR-11. They still get a ton of use and I haven't had a SINGLE problem with either one of them. I sure do wish all the new gear was made like this.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #557
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Professional videographers never use their expensive camera to play back or capture the footage. If money is not an issue but reliability is, then a deck is used. If money is an issue, than a cheap camcorder can be used to capture tapes.

As long as this camcorder works as expected (no dropped frames, no tape messed up mechanically), then there is no difference - capturing video from a miniDV tape is nothing more than file transfer. But of course, if you have to transfer a tape filmed in HDV, you will need an HDV deck or camcorder.

We have a Canon XH A1 that we use primarily. If we wanted to shoot HDV could we buy a Canon HV 30 and use that to dump the video to computer?

Last edited by Vaughan Greer; December 11th, 2008 at 02:20 PM.
Vaughan Greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #558
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Greer View Post
If we wanted to shoot HDV could we buy a Canon HV 30 and use that to dump the video to computer?
I've even heard that some folks use one to take video with when its not being used as a deck - fancy that!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #559
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Greer View Post
We have a Canon XH A1 that we use primarily. If we wanted to shoot HDV could we buy a Canon HV 30 and use that to dump the video to computer?
Yes, for sure, if you are shooting 1080i.
I don't know if the HV20/30 understands Canons other 24p footage format.
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #560
Regular Crew

yes you can use it to capture progressive formats, I just captured some footage on my hv30 that was recorded on an A1 as 24p, it is captured as the hdv1080 24p format.
Nevin Styre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #561
Major Player

Panasonic DV2000 Question

After seven years of almost 24/7 brutal use my steadfast DV200 is acting up. Every time I do capturing now the results are that the audio sounds tinny and the video stutters and breaks. When using a camcorder, with the same cable, the problem disappears so I'm sure it's the DV2000. I tried cleaning its heads but it doesn't improve matters. What could be ailing it, and is it terminal?
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #562
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rivadue View Post
After seven years of almost 24/7 brutal use my steadfast DV200 is acting up. Every time I do capturing now the results are that the audio sounds tinny and the video stutters and breaks. When using a camcorder, with the same cable, the problem disappears so I'm sure it's the DV2000. I tried cleaning its heads but it doesn't improve matters. What could be ailing it, and is it terminal?
After 7 years of steady, brutal use, as you describe it, this VCR should be bronzed and placed on a pedestal of honor. It's amazing it would last so long. The heads and also the tape-transport mechanism are probably worn down. It might be just a matter of having the tape alignment system re-adjusted by a qualified repair shop or it could require a new head assembly or more.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #563
Major Player

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I really gave this "industrial strength" VCR a good run over the years, and it was superb in every way. I'll see what I'll do next.
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #564
Obstreperous Rex

The money put into a service call will most likely pay for itself over the course of this deck's remaining natural life.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #565
Major Player

Thanks--until I go completely tapeless this has been a jewel of a deck.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #566
Regular Crew

Which Make and Model Tape for XL2???

What is the best quality tape to get for the XL2?

Does the brand have to be Canon, or can I use Sony, JVC or some other brand?

Thanks,

CJ
Caleb Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #567
Inner Circle

Run from Panasonic!

I always used Sony or TDK in my camcorders; two weeks ago all I got in stock was Panasonic... sure enough, yesterday when I tried to rewind for capturing, it gave me an error while the mechanism made a funny noise.

I gave it a second try and it all worked fine in the end but I"ll never ever buy Pana again.

Yes, you can use any brand; make sure you buy from a reputable seller to avoid counterfait stuff. I always buy my tapes at Costco, they carry the two brands mentioned at the beginning - over 100 tapes and not one defective yet.
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #568
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
I always used Sony or TDK in my camcorders; two weeks ago all I got in stock was Panasonic... sure enough, yesterday when I tried to rewind for capturing, it gave me an error while the mechanism made a funny noise.

I gave it a second try and it all worked fine in the end but I"ll never ever buy Pana again.

Yes, you can use any brand; make sure you buy from a reputable seller to avoid counterfait stuff. I always buy my tapes at Costco, they carry the two brands mentioned at the beginning - over 100 tapes and not one defective yet.
I second that, Costco has the Sony tapes for dirt cheap in a 10 pack, I've used over 30 and never had any problems.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line