The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 13th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #436
Regular Crew

Why exactly would you need to monitor the audio coming from the deck? Wouldn't you just capture the audio and video and worry about it after you had it in FCP?

And Justin, I am not sure what you are asking as I am not well versed yet in audio tech. All I am wanting to do is find a deck that can allow me to capture the shot footage from my mini DV tapes so I don't have to wear out my camera quicker by shooting and capturing on it.
Joseph Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #437
Regular Crew

About the audio interface... I have a workstation keyboard, it can sample (record) audio and save to compact-flash card or internal memory. So what I do presently is sample each track that I 'compose' individually, then transfer to my Powerbook. It's kind of a lengthy process. If I had an audio interface, each track could simply record straight-to-hard-drive and it would be a time saver.

I was wondering if this is what a video deck does.
Thoughts & Philosophies: http://jkohli.blogspot.com

"The most important thing is to enjoy life, to be happy, that's all that matters." --Audrey Hepburn
Justin Kohli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #438
Regular Crew

Ok I see what you are saying. The type of deck I am looking for simply allows (FCP for me) the computer to capture the shot footage as it plays off of the deck as opposed to hooking your camera up to the computer via firewire. It is a simpler process because you are not taking up time using your camera and it is less wear on it as well.
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #439
Inner Circle

DSR-11 is a solid workhorse for the money. Biggest weak point is the tiny little hinges on the door... so be careful with the door. Other than that, its solid with FCP or Avid. (I use one and cut on Avid, my partner uses one with his FCP system)

I use it to capture, and convert and as my 'monitor out' from firewire to the monitor for color correction. I run my DVD player and old Analogue VHS player through it for capture as well.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #440
Regular Crew

That is a good idea. I never thought to run a vcr and DVD player through there for capture.
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #441
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Ivey
Why exactly would you need to monitor the audio coming from the deck? Wouldn't you just capture the audio and video and worry about it after you had it in FCP?
I use it when logging and capturing. I shoot commercials so I only capture the good takes (I never just capture the whole tape) so I need to hear it to know if it's a good take. For some reason (is it this way w/ everyone?) FCP doesn't let me monitor the audio through the computer when I'm logging. I know FCP doesn't give you audio when capturing, but does it usually when logging?
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #442
Regular Crew

I hate to do this but any of you guys that have and XL2 and wouldn't mind checking out another post of mine, I would appreciate it. It is in the Canon XL-2 watchdog forum. So far I am having a lot of lookers but no one offering any response.
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #443
Regular Crew

I just use a cheap mini dv camera that I keep at my computer to transfer video to my computer. I still go thru firewire but its always there and my main camera doesn't get the wear and tear.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #444
Trustee

i agree, a cheap minidv camera with a firewire port is the way to go, you can get 'em for less than $300 these days.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #445
Major Player

Another user here who uses a cheap camera as a deck...
But I'm looking for a large format tape player too.

What do you all think about the new JVC deck - BR-HD50

Large format, downconverts and HDV all in one?
Multi format HDMI and RS422.

Cost: Only 50% more than a DSR-11.

Anyone have any opinions on it?
Does it handle HDV 1080i in and out?
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #446
Regular Crew

Using a cheap dv camera is definitely a cheaper option, but might not last as long, depensing on how much you use it. Also, be sure you get a camera that outputs the same audio rate that you record on (if you record 16 bit 48k, some cheaper models won't have that audio rate as an option).
Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:34 AM   #447
DVCreators.Net

Good advice from everyone here.

The DSR-11 is my recommendation as it is rock solid with FCP and has a robust transport.

I would not recommend a deck for anyone who is not capturing more than a few hours per week. Go with an inexpensive camera. You can always use that second camera to record B-roll or audio in a pinch.

One of the biggest benefits of a deck is how fast it rewinds and fast forwards. You can get around on a tape much, much quicker with a deck.

Now if you're doing more that a few hours of capture/playback per week, also look at the DSR-25. It offers a few things overs the DSR-11. Timecode display on the front readout. VU Meters and a tiny LCD preview monitor.

If you're doing a lot of analog, I love the fact that you can use the 184minute DVcam tapes to copy to. This is huge for archiving your old tapes. Since you can record in either DV or DVcam mode, you can actually get 4.5 hours out of a 3 hour(184minute) tape.

The JVC models starting with "B" in the name are professional and work great with FCP. I would not recommend any of the consumer models as too many people have had "issues." The Panasonics seem to work great too. But, in my opinion, I would always go with the Sony based on owning and using them as well as hearing others comments.

Hope this helps,
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:03 PM   #448
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Byrne
For some reason (is it this way w/ everyone?) FCP doesn't let me monitor the audio through the computer when I'm logging. I know FCP doesn't give you audio when capturing, but does it usually when logging?
It is a preference. I am currently in FCP 5, but I know it is in HD, too. On FCP 5, in the clip settings tab there is a checkbox to monitor the audio. In HD, I think it is in one of the preference panes. I'll try to get on a copy of HD to check which one, but it is definitely possible to monitor the audio while logging. In fact, when I was still using HD, I had a custom capture preset that I called "NTSC Audio off" that would mute the audio on capture (since I wanted it on for logging).
Otto Bartsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:24 AM   #449
Major Player

To monitor audio through the computer while logging in 4.5, open your capture preset, click the "Advanced" button under QuickTime Audio Settings and turn the speaker on. I learned this in 3, so I'm sure it works there as well.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:24 AM   #450
Regular Crew

What are the thoughts on getting a Firestore instead of a deck and use tapes as an archive? I know there is a forum for firestore but I figured I could ask you guys who have decks as opposed to those who will surely say Firestore is the way to go.
Joseph Ivey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line