The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 13th, 2003, 09:58 PM   #226
Wrangler

You don't get much for $1500 in DV these days.

Are you sure you can live with a 1 hour tape load?

For recording purposes, the decks don't need genlock. If you need to play one back to your switcher for B-roll, why don't you dig out an old TBC and run it through that? That's what I do in the local college control room. Works very nicely. Since I had the TBC, it was a lot cheaper than purchasing a big deck.

These small transports don't have the kind of control you experienced with the BetaSP decks. So you might want to try some hands-on before you buy. BetaSP-quality deck control (fast response to operator input) means an expensive deck from what I've seen.
Old October 14th, 2003, 02:41 AM   #227
Regular Crew

DV type Decks with pro controls

The only decks that I know of that use the DV transports are the DVC Pro line from Panasonic. But get ready to spend some money. They do have the jog/shuttle wheels though.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 12:50 AM   #228
New Boot

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rob: DV is considered broadcast quality if you have broadcast sources. You're right about the camera; if the camera is a "cheap" Canon ZR20, then the footage captured on there isn't going to be very high quality (due to the single small CCD and the small, medium quality optics). However, if we take a Panasonic AG-DVC200 or even the AG-DVX100, then the quality could be considered broadcast quality, due to the higher quality lenses (Leica or Fujion) and the larger, triple CCD.

Mike: 1 hour is fine (we only broadcast for 5 minutes in the morning for the school news), but if we needed to we could go to "large-format" DV, which has running times of up to 276 minutes. I need to double-check on the Genlock, because our Betacam SP units complain like crazy if we try to record to them without Genlock. One option we're considering is using a TBC with a few JVC BR-DV3000U units. They don't have the jog-dial or genlock, but the TBC would be able to compensate for the lack of genlock.

James: We aren't ready or willing to spend the money on a DVCProLine VTR, but it would definitely satisfy our needs (except for low-cost ;) ).

I'd just like to thank you all for looking at this thread and contributing. Thanks!
Old October 16th, 2003, 06:13 AM   #229
Warden

You don't need genlock on the decks per se if the signal isn't going to be mixed with other video signals. Genlock allows the use of black burst or some other version of House Sync to be used to sync all the other decks together and devices (DVE, Special Effects Gen, Chyron etc.). If the signal is run through a TBC, as Mike suggests, it can be synced to other signals via the Genlock on the TBC.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 07:03 AM   #230
Regular Crew

Switching without TBCs

I switch 4 XLs with a Panasonic MX-50 switcher with internal sync. Decks can be substituted for the sources as well. Simply plug either a composite or Y/C connector into the switcher and that's it! I mix to a Panasonic AG-DV2000 deck that uses mini and full size DV cassettes. This is all plug and play, affordable and space friendly for what you can do with it compared to using seperate TBCs for each source.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #231
Regular Crew

JVC GR-D30 DVcam as deck?

I found a really good price for this dvcam online (299) and decided to grab it. I'll be using it primarily to transfer footage from my DVX100. Now I know most of you are going to say that this camera isnt built to do this type of work, but is there anyone who actually tried using this camera (or any other similar JVC product for that matter) for this type of work? How did it do? Thanks.
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:58 AM   #232
Obstreperous Rex

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a cheap camcorder as a feeder deck. In fact, we have a number of threads on this topic. A lot of folks like using the Canon ZR40 or ZR60. I don't see why your JVC wouldn't fill the bill -- go for it!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 06:04 AM   #233
Regular Crew

The JVC will work great as a deck...as far as DV qualities, chroma keying doesn't seem to work right with video taken with the JVC. Video shot with my GL2 and fed to NLE via JVC works fine....
Old December 30th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #234
Tourist

deck recording to an XL1

I currently shoot with an XL1 and when I complete my editing I create a master on a SVHS deck. I would like to record directly to my XL1 so as to make a better quality master. I have read the XL1 manual and can't seem to find out how to do it and would appreciate some advice and help.

I am able to make a master on my Sony digital 8, simply by setting it on VCR and recording off of the editing bay and would like to do the same with the XL1.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:31 AM   #235
RED Code Chef

Do you want to record from an analog source or from your
computer over firewire? The first is only possible on the XL1S
(the later model!) if you put it in VCR mode (you can't do this
if a firewire cable is connected!!).

The second is possible if you play from the timeline or do a
print-to-tape from your NLE application (you might need to
hit record on your XL1 which again must be in VCR mode).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #236
Major Player

Final Cut deck

I've been watching and reading the threads for quite some time now regarding Final Cut Pro 4 and Express (now version 2) compatibility with the JVC SR-VS30U dual deck vcr (mini-dv and s-vhs). Many people were having tedious issues with this deck, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it works for a minute then quits, etc. After a while it was basically accepted that they weren't compatible and the subject was dropped.
Today, I was told by a professor that the bugs had been worked out and Final Cut now controlled the deck flawlessly. I didn't get to actually see it in action, so I don't know what to think. Has anyone had any positive experience with this deck and current versions of Final Cut Pro and/or Express?
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #237
Regular Crew

Dv deck comparsion

Hey everyone,

Things are starting to pick up here, so its time to purchase a DV deck for capturing, playback, etc instead of killing my XL1s

I'm currently torn between panasonic's AG-DV2500 and JVC's BR-DV3000U.

Which one is a better bang for the buck considering they are roughly the same price? Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with either deck?

Please let me know
~Mike

P.S. does any one know of any places that offers student discounts on these products? (i'm gonna try to milk the student thing while i still have it considering what i have paid to be a college student!!!!!)
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:40 PM   #238
Inner Circle

$1999.95 list price for the AG-DV2500 for capture and playback?
If you don't need the additional tape formats, get a used or even new cheepie miniDV camcorder. You'll love the portability,
LCD screen and audio monitoring.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #239
Regular Crew

True, i could get a small camera for that purpose, i'd rather invest in a true VTR. At the moment, i can find these models in a 1300-1500 price range

I know in the future i want to offer to work in DV in addition to Mini-DV which those models can handle (even DV-CAM playback & Capture)

Also what is the lifespan for the heads on elcheapo cameras? ie would i end up using 2-3 cameras over the same time as the dedicated deck?

~Mike
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #240
New Boot

JVC GR-D30u as a transfer cam/deck?

I have seen these on ebay for less than $200. I am looking for a cheap cam in order to save the heads on my VX2100. I did a search on the JVC and only came up with three threads that did not fully address my question. So... Have any of you used this cam as a transfer deck and if so how do you like it? If not, then what cam do you use for transfer only?
Jason Brooks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line