How are the detais in the Shadows on GH5s Low-Light? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 6th, 2018, 12:26 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: How are the detais in the Shadows on GH5s Low-Light?

interested in this camera or the A7III. But the sony doesn't has 4k 50p (60p)

I like to slow down my 50p footage in post.

the A7iii is "much" better in low light because it's fullframe but the GH5S does a very good job with it's m4/3 sensor. I saw it on a video on youtube.

I have a sony FS100 and A6000. is the low light of the GH5S as good of these 2?

Because I don't have lenses for a panasonic it looked and the price for fast primes is not too expensive.
probably due it's m4/3 mount and cheaper than aps-c and full frame?

I also have don't have full frame lenses from sony :)

So what our your experiences so far with the GH5S? There is less to find about it on this forum.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 03:40 PM   #17
Inner Circle

The gh5s is more sensitive in low light then you ever would need and it can see more in the dark then you can with your own eyes.

I have shot a few weddings with it now of which some where candle light venues only, I also shot outside in the dark when people where sitting at tables that only had tealights and anyone claiming that this camera is not sensitive enough is doing something wrong.

There are several differences between the gh5s and the a7III (just compare specs and it's easy enough to see) but one thing you need to consider is the cost of good lenses, top end sony lenses are at least twice as expensive as the best native m4/3 glass so depending on your budget and expectations that is something to consider.
Just to give an example, I have a 40-150mm f2.8 lens from Olympus which was 1250euro, in fullframe this would be a 80-300mm f2.8 lens which doesn't even exist and if it would you can be sure it would cost over 3000euro.

The biggest difference on the a7III is the sensor size and it will be much easier to achieve a shallow dof but that doesn't mean you can't get shallow dof shots on a gh5s, there are several f1.2 lenses, either native or by using a speedbooster which easily can blur our backgrounds.

The gh5s achillesheel is autofocus, if that matters to you then for sure get the a7III, the gh5s lacks ibis, if that matters to you then also get the a7III or if you need even better stabilisation get the gh5, no dslr type camera out there can match the gh5 stabilisation, especially not when they added "is lock" in the latest firmware.

If you always shoot in moonlight then the a7III will be cleaner at very high iso.

If you shoot long events that last over 30 min get the gh5s, same if you need 4K 50p.

If you have enough money get both. :)

The list goes on but there are enough comparison videos on YouTube.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 10:02 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I never timed my gh5 battery use but it feels like it goes twice as fast through it's batteries compared to my gh4, I found this test which comfirmed my feeling: GH5 GH5 Battery Run-Down Tests...
that only applies to the GH5 with IBIS, the GH5s is much closer to the gh4 in battery use
Old September 7th, 2018, 12:09 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Yes, that’s right, batteryusage is very different between the 2 camera’s, I have not timed it either but I think I could record 2 one hour ceremonies on the gh5s and still have batterypower left.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 09:59 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van den Berghe View Post

the A7iii is "much" better in low light because it's fullframe but the GH5S does a very good job with it's m4/3 sensor.

A7iii is not better than GH5S at equivalent DOF, and then there is the option to use speedbooster, so you really approach FF on all levels, DOF nearly as shallow and low light equivalence at all apertures and DOF.

Like Noa I shoot weddings with GH5S and the low light is amazing, and the envy of the other videographers who can't resist peeking at the image on the articulated screen.

Receptions are always dark, and the other videographers have sometimes just given up shooting, throw in the towel in some instances, pack it up and leave, or use lights. Lights make things better no matter what you're shooting with, so I'll set up LCD panels with a remote control I can switch them on for the toasts and first dances, but if you leave them on you offend the DJ or band who run their own colored lights, or you won't get people on the dance floor with key lighting unless used selectively.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 10:18 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
The gh5s is more sensitive in low light then you ever would need and it can see more in the dark then you can with your own eyes.

I have shot a few weddings with it now of which some where candle light venues only, I also shot outside in the dark when people where sitting at tables that only had tealights and anyone claiming that this camera is not sensitive enough is doing something wrong.

There are several differences between the gh5s and the a7III (just compare specs and it's easy enough to see) but one thing you need to consider is the cost of good lenses, top end sony lenses are at least twice as expensive as the best native m4/3 glass so depending on your budget and expectations that is something to consider.
Just to give an example, I have a 40-150mm f2.8 lens from Olympus which was 1250euro, in fullframe this would be a 80-300mm f2.8 lens which doesn't even exist and if it would you can be sure it would cost over 3000euro.

The biggest difference on the a7III is the sensor size and it will be much easier to achieve a shallow dof but that doesn't mean you can't get shallow dof shots on a gh5s, there are several f1.2 lenses, either native or by using a speedbooster which easily can blur our backgrounds.

The gh5s achillesheel is autofocus, if that matters to you then for sure get the a7III, the gh5s lacks ibis, if that matters to you then also get the a7III or if you need even better stabilisation get the gh5, no dslr type camera out there can match the gh5 stabilisation, especially not when they added "is lock" in the latest firmware.

If you always shoot in moonlight then the a7III will be cleaner at very high iso.

If you shoot long events that last over 30 min get the gh5s, same if you need 4K 50p.

I normally selectively quote posts but this is all very true and relevant from Noa and covers about everything.

There is one other special lens worth mentioning in addition to the great 40-150 Olympus that Noa mentions, the PanLeica 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron which is fairly unique in that it is a fast MFT prime that includes OIS, making it especially useful on the GH5s which otherwise has no IBIS, so you can shoot it handheld with lovely portrait framing, shallow DOP and excellent low light ability, and also good for static safety shots from a tripod while I'm on the move with the standard GH5.

Anyway, with all the new cameras released or on the horizon, I think interest in the GH5/GH5S takes a back seat but they certainly earned their keep during the past year while the others were on the drawing board.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 05:00 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:

thx Noa for your answer! I will first wait what sony will announce these days. but you are right about the more expensive lenses for apsc-/fullframe.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 06:20 AM   #23
Inner Circle

You do have some decent priced lenses for sony like the sony 85mm f1.8 or the samyang 35mm f1.4, both can be used to autofocus, are optically good and are around 600euro, tamron also makes full frame lenses half the price of a premium sony lenses, the expensive sony lenses are better optically but not twice as good, with tamron there is a lot of plastic used and it feels cheaper but if you are on a budget these are also good options.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series