Show Your Work 2004 - Page 47 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old November 10th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #691
Wrangler

Corey, did you have another site before this one?
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:07 AM   #692
Regular Crew

The Before twelve trailer was going along really well, but the ending is a little mixed. When the girl sat up in bed, I thought it was more a chance for something major to happen, for a suddenly flurry of heart stopping action or something. I would also say that using "previously scary" music takes away a little from the originality of the project.

All The Women I Loved trailer is MUCH better, the first part up to the yellow screen is very entertaining and would make me want to see the movie. The second half really wasn't as entertaining to me personally, but I understand the use of this sort of clip, so no issues really.

Overall, the look of both projects seems to be in keeping with the material, and the quality of the images is very nice indeed. Nice selection of shots, angles, and framing :-)

Alex
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:04 AM   #693
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i do find it a bit odd that these trailers give copy right notice about cannot be used / copied they are protected under copy right etc and YET this company is using copyrighted music which they give no credit = i would guess they have no rights ..

i find it hard that they would charge somebody $6-10K to make these trailers ( based on the persons booK ) and then use music they have no rights !!!
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:32 AM   #694
Regular Crew

Music videos I wish I made...

One looks like it was made by Bunuel, another by Leger, another by Michael Snow...the fact they were made by the same guy blew my mind.

http://www.softcitizen.com/videos/Dieselnew_ab2.mov
http://www.softcitizen.com/videos/Solvent_ab2.mov
http://www.softcitizen.com/videos/7_minutes_ab2.mov

http://www.softcitizen.com/directors...ron%20Albertin
Old November 11th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #695
RED Code Chef

I'm a bit confused: you have three clips and three names on who
made them. Then you start talking about two of them being made
by the same guy? Huh?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #696
Major Player

Thanks, Alex for taking a look and your comments. My soul purpose was to give the director quality of choices. I story-boarded all the work and worked from that as a blueprint. Of course after scouting the location and taking lots of still photographs, marking light locations, and power supply, etc.

Don, right. The company is a part of the music industry and some of the people on the film are the recording artists themselves. They signed wavers. I'm currently working on a few videos for the groups that allowed their music to be in the films. Bottom line, the notice should be contained in text in the film.

Legal ramifications are very real and I like to eliminate them. My work as a director of photography is meant to be seen, not locked away in the legal world. I will bring this to their attention the next time I speak with them.

Thanks for the look and comments. I hope you enjoyed them.

Cheers!
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #697
Regular Crew

Sorry, Rob.

Meant to say:

1st video with the horse is shot in the STYLE of Luis Bunuel's early surrealist work un chien andalu.
2nd one with the black figures is reminiscent of Ferdinand Leger's simple montages Ballet Mechanique.
3rd one with the single take reminded me of Micheal Snow's wavelength and <--->.

In these videos, he (Jaron Albertin, dir.) so silkily emulated these filmmakers that it's as though they were shot by 3 different chaps not one.

That impressed me.
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #698
Wrangler

Very interesting. Thanks for posting those!
Old November 11th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #699
Regular Crew

What struck me is not that Albertin emulated the above-named film-makers, but that there seemed to be such a powerfully consistent style among all of his videos.

But perhaps that's because most music videos I see today have abandoned the playful, absurdist, and surreal aesthetic of the 80's. So along comes this guy who may (as you say) have captured the looks of Buñuel, Léger, and Snow, but because the current fashion in music video looks nothing like them--in fact, seems antithetical to them--they all look the same. Does that make any sense? I mean, all the currently fashionable stuff, be it tweaked, CGI-enhanced, representational, gloss; or gritty, bleach-bypassed narrative; or even soft-lit filmic stuff with floating pianos; none of it looks like Albertin's stuff. At all. He's got a big field to play in because as clever as most music videos are, they really don't challenge the viewer like Albertin does.

Michael

(who would love to be challenged with counterexamples--this stuff is cool!)
Old November 12th, 2004, 03:35 AM   #700
Regular Crew

Watching them over and over again, they're so mesmerizing.

He lives here in Toronto, I wonder if I should email him to say hello and that I want to be just like him when I grow up....hold it, I'm older than him...ok I hate him now.
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:42 PM   #701
Tourist

First Web Video - Feedback Please!

Please let me know your opinion on the video quality, and more importantly the functionality of the player.

This is designed for Windows Media Player 9.

http://www.ehomeparade.com

Thanks in advance!
Old November 16th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #702
Major Player

It played perfectly for me, Tim, and given the data rate (I got it at about 226 kbps) the quality was good. Audio was also balanced and clear.

David Hurdon
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #703
Regular Crew

Highlight reel the H2O Odyssey Awards show

I have 3.5 hours of footage from the H2O film festival Odyssey Awards from 6 different cameras. 4 of them were sony PD 150s and one was a cannon XL-1 that was on stage and a one chip cannon that was floating around.

Please take a look at the 5 minute clip that I edited from the raw footage and please provide any comments.

You'll need the latest version of Windows Media Player and a Broadband connection to properly see the clip.

Thanks a lot,

http://www.roaddoggz.com/examples/h2...light_reel.php
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #704
Regular Crew

"One" updated

"one" has been updated.

This project is going to be a short. Its called "one" because no matter how many people you know, love or meet, you must feel everything on your own. I want each viewer to feel something different. So many different emotions throughout life, but only as "one" we feel them.
Looking through something else's eyes but seeing yourself as well.

I dont own a crane. I use my tripod like a crane to get the overhead shoots. Using my body as the base, then making my moves. It works very well.

If you would like to see more of this project, goto http://www.mdfilms.net
then click the "short films" tab, "one" is the first project listed.

Thank you for your time and support.
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #705
Regular Crew

Flash mini doco series

I'd be interested to see what people think of this flash mini doco series I did for the ABC. http://www.abc.net.au/victoria/ararat/

It is a story about my hometown in Australia and the changes it has undergone through it's history

Flash is a great way to keep file size down without having to resort to a key hole image size.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work