Show Your Work 2003 - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old September 21st, 2003, 03:44 AM   #481
New Boot

Projectors...

Anybody know of a good place to rent a video projector in the bay area? I'd also like to know about how much to expect to pay when renting one. I'm a little tight on money since I am still just a high school student. My final question is, is there a certain type of projector which is best for projecting video (DLP?) and how many Lumens should it be (crowd of 100- 150 people)? Thanks in advance!
Old September 21st, 2003, 07:35 PM   #482
Major Player

THANKS!

Thanks for checkin it out...

We shot on BetaSP (because my XL-1 was having issues with the mixer we had) yes I know, it's not digital, but we really intended on using the XL-1. For audio we used a couple of Azden wireless lav's (they are great). The BetaSP camera we had actually crapped-out on us after 13 hours of shooting. We had to shoot some of the cut-a-ways at a different location after we got the camera fixed.

For lights we had a couple of arri kits...nothing too crazy. Some snoots and gels. We had a talented DP. (not me, I produced and edited)

I edited with Avid XDV and gave it a film look with Digi-FX cine-look...took alot of tweaking, & cranked up the black levels until we were happy with the look.

Thanks again...pass around the link, we are currently #3 on IFILMS daily top 20...hope to get to #1.

Also check out the music video I recently produced / edited
http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2474316
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:20 AM   #483
Regular Crew

I just downloaded the remastering.mov file. I get some kind of corruption at around 12:23, perhaps something happened during the download but maybe you should check at your end just in case.

From what I saw though it looked pretty good, I especially liked the lighting in some of the b/w footage. The interview setting was a bit dull visually and the first interviewee was a bit too pretentious ;).
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:54 AM   #484
Regular Crew

Thank you for your feedback.

One of my favorite shot is a B&W closeup of the hand playing piano.

I've color corrected both interviews and live with MB.

For the color one it's Warm and Fuzzy and for the live stuff B&W crunch.
You can see how the original footage looked like on the bonus footage gallery.mov. I promise I'll make sure they don't wear any RED shirt anymore ... that's just too bad for the picture.

The regular B&W was giving a too video look so I've took this "crunch" one which gives less details.

For the interview, I've used the auto focus mode and that was a mistake as my subject was not centered. On some shots the talking head is blurry with perfect focus on the guitars in the back !

Thanks again.
Dany
Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:44 PM   #485
New Boot

Don't reply all at once now...
Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:58 PM   #486
Major Player

Matt,

Lumens question is tough without knowing the room environment you'll have. If you can get it completely dark, AND you're not projecting on a HUGE screen, 800 would probably be fine. If on the other hand, ambient light will be a problem, you'll need to go quite a bit higher to acheive good results. I use a 800 lumen DLP projector but only for computer driven Power Point type stuff in rooms with a fair amount of light, works ok, but I can ensure that I have very high contrast between background and text, not an option in video.

DLP projectors would probably be better at video, but will add cost. I would use the local yellow pages, find a local rental source, then test a couple of their projectors using what ever device you'll be playing from. Most don't have a problem with that and can provide some additional details while you're there.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:37 PM   #487
Inner Circle

I've used a Canon projector that had an output of about 1500 lumens. Worked very well, even in rooms that couldn't be completely darkened. The screens were generally about 10 feet wide.

Don't know exactly which model it was, but it was a fairly compact LCD video projector about the size of a phone book. Probably similar to the LV-7350 Bright as heck, too!

Sharp also markets similar projectors. In fact, the onscreen menus between the Canon and Sharp were very similar, which leads me to believe that the core of the projectors come from the same manufacturer.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:24 AM   #488
Major Player

Hi, I'm interested in your takes on the JTL everlight kit. hows that working out for ya??
Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:12 PM   #489
Wrangler

We're working with some gear that will probably be beyond your budget, but this may be of general interest anyway. We just bought two NEC LCDGT1150 projectors which are rated at 3000 ANSI Lumens. We're using these to project english translations ("supertitles") on a screen above the stage during our operas. I am really impressed with the brightness and contrast on these units. A key factor for us was the noise level since they are mounted in the auditorium right about the audience in the balcony. With the lens these babies set us back nearly $10,000 each!

But the "big guns" just arrived at the theatre today, two Barco SLM R-10 Executive DLP projectors. Today was a panic getting everything hooked up, with my laptop (that was driving the projectors via firewire) dying just before we were supposed to give a demo. However by the end of the day we had everything setup and the quality of the image completely blew me away. We are projecting DV in 16:9 on a screen about 42' wide by 24' high. I think it held up amazingly well at this size with the Barco's. The footage is a combination of 3d computer animation and live footage shot in 16:9 with a PDX-10.

The R-10's are rated at 10,000 lumens with a 1600:1 contrast ratio and resolution of 1280x1024. We need two of them so we have a backup, and were considering running both together for a brighter image. However the image from one projector is really more than bright enough for our needs (to overcome stage lighting in the foreground). For today's test we fed D25 video over firewire directly from the timeline in Final Cut Pro, running on a Powerbook G4, to a Promax converter box. The box converted D25 to component video which fed the projectors. For the show we will record all the individual cues to a pair of Doremi VC1 hard disk recorders.

So this is some high end equipment which is probably beyond the means of many people, but it certainly gives a glimpse of what to expect in the near future. And I was reassured to finally see the video I've been working on for many months on the big screen. In spite of its limitations, DV is going to work just fine for this project. But I would love to see HD projected with this setup sometime also!
Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:00 PM   #490
Inner Circle

Try VMI. I can't find it for you in the on-line pages, but I've been there. It's on the bay side off 101 just before Mathilda Avenue.
You can see it as you drive 101 North from Great America toward
Mathilda. There is a little road that snakes runs parallel to 101.
I know my company rents a lot of video stuff from them for corporate presentations. I'm pretty sure we rent the projector as well.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:53 PM   #491
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I think that this is the company to which Gints referred.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old September 24th, 2003, 01:48 AM   #492
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Gints Klimanis : Try VMI. I can't find it for you in the on-line pages, but I've been there. It's on the bay side off 101 just before Mathilda Avenue.
You can see it as you drive 101 North from Great America toward
Mathilda. There is a little road that snakes runs parallel to 101.
I know my company rents a lot of video stuff from them for corporate presentations. I'm pretty sure we rent the projector as well. -->>>
Thanks... I'm around that area all the time so I'll be sure to check it out.
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #493
Major Player

DVD for Film Festivals

My short film, No Solicitors, has been accepted at Montreal's "Film Festival With a Twist." Seriously the best e-mail I've gotten in a long time :D

Anyways, I specified that the projection medium be DVD, as that would be the easiest to make. I've never actually authored a DVD before but I think I can figure it out.. what I want to know is, are there any certain things to follow when submitting a screening copy for festivals? I'm assuming the only menus should just be the title.. or should it start playing automatically? Any tips you guys could give me would be great.

I'm going to hunt around in the forums for DVD authoring tips as well..
Old September 25th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #494
Regular Crew

Yes, a simple menu with just a "play movie" option is probably your best bet.

The thing to look after is that your DVD is as compatible as possible. Use a software that complies very strictly to the DVD specifications. Use brand name blanks (I've had good luck with Verbatim DVD-R) and test your DVD in a few players. One way to do this is to go to a hifi/electronics store and ask the clerk if you can try your DVD-R in different players...

Congrats on your selection ! :-)
Old September 25th, 2003, 01:37 PM   #495
Inner Circle

Some of the DVD compatilibity issues are also with the audio.
Use stereo PCM (compressed) or AC3. Many DVD authoring
package offer MPEG1 Layer II audio compression, which is
unofficially supported by most DVD players. DVD-R
compatibility is less of an issue these days, but I am totally
shocked by the DVD response times for new models. Some
models on display in July 2003 (my last trip) at Circuit City and
Good Guys take 30 seconds to spin up and recognize a DVD-R.
You can check for DVD player compatibility in user-submitted polls
at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ .
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work