Show Your Work 2003 - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old September 29th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #511
Major Player

This is just my very "subjective" opinion...

THe images are gorgeous.. I would correct the colors to enhance the green and the blue... but thatīs me... Iīm not a scenery fan, but there are really beatiull shots... and I think that could be "tricked" to look "brighter in colors"...

I would also definetely try and make a shorter.. more compressed or whatever... version for download... For those with slow speed connections... (like me)

I only got to watch up to minute 3'25 or so... Iīm in a "supposed" 256kb dsl line.. and still was very slow so I killed the download.... maybe itīs just my connection tonite?? (most likely)... Still, imagine those with dial up...

I would also change the color of the initial credit, from red to something softer.. more in the mood of the music and the shots... Green?...

Canīt comment any further because didnīt got to see the whole thing... sorry.
Old September 30th, 2003, 04:01 AM   #512
Regular Crew

Thanks Federico....I'll have to make a lot lower resolution file. Of course, the " beaytiful scenery" won't be as beautiful....
Old September 30th, 2003, 04:30 AM   #513
Regular Crew

I posted a lot smaller file on my site....sorry about the last one...

http://www.crimsonbutterfly.com/video/gorges2.wmv
Old September 30th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #514
Regular Crew

Do you live is such a nice place? A lot of potential for great footage in a place like that.

I have only been doing this sort of thing for a short while, so my experience is limited.
Some of the old and crustiest may be able to give you better advice.

But here is my go at it:
The colors are a little dull. I use an enhancing filter from Tiffen. It really seems to make the colors pop out on footage like that.

I see you have some of the same problems I do, making smoooooth pan and tilts. This is a difficult skill that takes some time to acquire. On scenic footage it is usually better to get still footage, at least 30 seconds at a time. Then if you want to practice the pan and tilt, go ahead, you already have the still footage. Get at least as much still footage from a tripod as moving footage and may be even more. You can always add some movement in postproduction.

Nice Scenic shots.
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #515
Major Player

Hey Mark, that's funny, I just posted about this too in the Open DV forum under the new Panasonic cam. Are you thinking of entering?
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #516
Regular Crew

Me!? No, I won't be entering. I'm still too new at this. But I was hoping that maybe some people from the boards here might enter, and even score one of the grants. There's a lot of talent represented here, and I'd love to see some of it rewarded in this way.

But who knows, maybe if they keep the grant around long enough I'll have something worth entering in a year or two...
Old September 30th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #517
Regular Crew

I know now that you're exactly right. I'll always try to carry some kind of tripod with me when I do landscape-type footage. Of course, it was over 90 that day, and we walked at least 10 miles to get all the shots...first week in July....
Old October 5th, 2003, 03:12 PM   #518
Regular Crew

Check out my first demo reel

I was wondering if anybody can give me some criticism on my new demo reel. I shot everything in it with my GL2, edited in FCP3 and did graphics and color correction in After Effects. Thanks!

http://www.terraform.tv/
Old October 5th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #519
Regular Crew

very flashy, nice artwork, clear images, speed and hardrock, yezzzz......

well done
I love it
jacko
Old October 5th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #520
RED Code Chef

Do you have a direct download link please?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 5th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #521
Regular Crew

here's a direct link to the movie:

http://www.terraform.tv/videogallery/video/demo.mov
Old October 5th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #522
RED Code Chef

That's looky pretty nice! Those skateboarding scenes might
look a bit nicer with some good slowmotion (not too much)??

Other then that it looked nice!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:47 PM   #523
Major Player

Teaser? OK or Bad?

Hello friends.
I'd like to have some opinions about a teaser I made for
a upcoming DVD.

Comments, thoughts or "what ever" are most welcome.
I know this might not be your personal interest, but I'd like
to know how you recive it. Did you get interested in the DVD
and so on?

Mac version:http://www.fernbrant.com/saltomortalez%20-%20teaser.mov
PC version: http://www.fernbrant.com/saltomortalez%20-%20teaser.wmv
Bigger Mac/PC: http://www.fernbrant.com/saltomortalez%20-%20teaser.mpg

/Andreas
Old October 7th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #524
Wrangler

Hi Andreas, here's my initial impressions of the teaser before going to your website:

Overall very nice and smooth and it drew me in. It made me want to find out more about what those guys are doing. My impression is that this is a sport video for gymnasts, but I wasn't positive - it made me wonder if this might also be a documentary.

Notes:
Your branding was way too subtle for me:

- I kept wondering what the name of the DVD was if I wanted to look it up? It's not clear from the teaser.

- The website did not stick in my head during the 1st and 2nd viewings because I was busy watching the action.

- I missed the branding/info at the end because your jazzy music, which drew me in, stopped, and I thought the video was over. I only saw the ending credits the third time around because I was busy doing something else and let it play through.

- Personally I'd move the Atashami logo. Maybe to the very, very beginning or end of the teaser, or overlay it onto the opening tage line sequence so it's associated with your tag line. The reason is that the beginning sequences: WARNING, tag line, and guy on the beach all drew me toward the subject of the video but the Atashami logo is just eye candy it doesn't have anything to do with the subject of the video and feels out of place.

Once again though, very nicely done.
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #525

Get Goosed!

No... I'm not being naughty or trying to get anyone's hackles up. "Get Goosed!" despite what it may sound like, is the title of my family, feature film that premiered two weeks ago here in Colorado. It's about an elderly Native American man and his best friend, a Canada goose. The old man lives in a rest home and has pretty much given up on life until he meets the goose. The spark of life returns... he checks out of the rest home and buys a ranch, which he intends to share with his new friend. But a federal bureaucrat has different ideas and tries to confiscate the goose. In the end, the people of the old man's mountain community rally to his support... the bureaucrat gets goosed, and the old man rekindles his relationship with his son and granddaughter.

We had two scheduled performances. Both sold out, and we did a carry-over the following day (the house seats 350). We sold 180 VHS tapes and 80 DVDs at the premiere.

Two cable networks and two distributors are now talking with our Executive Producer. Things might happen.

Which is good, because I worked on it for three years... during which our human star suffered a stroke that nearly killed him (21 days into a 28 day schedule), and a malfeasant teenager killed our goose star. I also spent a lot of money learning some lessons the hard way about some editors' integrity. Everyone on the film, except me, has been paid (I wrote it, directed it and wound up finishing the editing). I'm ready for a paycheck. Top Ramen is really starting to suck.

I mention all this because the film is a hybrid. Most of it was shot on 16mm film; but about 1/3 (scenic and wildlife shots) of it was done with a Canon XL-1s in the frame movie mode with a 1/2 black promist filter. Except for one interior that wasn't lit well, I defy anyone to tell the difference. I'm really impressed with that little camera and what it can do... so was my son-in-law, whose father just happens to own Foto-Kem in Burbank. Michael (my son-in-law) said Foto-Kem is building a new facility just to do digital fimmaking postproduction.

I'm not saying film is dead. But as far as I'm concerned, it sure has been kicked in the...

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work