Show Your Work 2008 - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 13th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #556
Major Player

The music is beautiful.
It's very sad to think of all those people who have just died or are struggling to survive as we speak.
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #557
Inner Circle

It's very hard, considering I went there last summer to shoot this video. One featured video of the quake on YouTube originates from my hometown in Wuhan, China where a highrise was entirely evacuated.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #558
Major Player

a snowboard movie

finally i got done with it, some of you might have seen the trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BdQJCvXSfbo

you can download the movie from here: http://fff.ee/fff/Piriplatoo/

also some of my older extreme sports projects are located here: fff.ee/fff
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #559
Major Player

Uk Portsmouth Film Festival 2008 Call For Entries

the 2008 Portsmouth Film Festival is looking for short films by film and video makers based in Hampshire, West sussex and the Isle of Wight. For the past three years we have showcased the work of local production talent as part of the Portsmouth Screen: Film and New Media Festival. For 2008, We are looking for entertaining, engaging and thought provoking films in any genre, from drama to comedy, documentary to animation.

The deadline for submissions is 31 July 2008. Films should not be longer than 15 minutes, including credits. At least one of the principle cast, or the writer, director or producer should reside or study in Hampshire, West Sussex or the Isle of Wight, or the film should have been produced in this area.

This year, the screening will be held at the famous King's Theatre, Albert Road, Southsea. The screening will take place on Sunday 31st August at 7:30pm. The selected films can also be shown as part of subsequent Portsmouth Screen events during the Portsmouth Screen Festival and other events later in the year.

Please go to the Shorts::Cut website for rules of entry and to download a submission form.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #560
Regular Crew

Short Film

I Finished a 8 minutes short film on free flying:

"Because..."
http://because.flyozone.com/

Comments and feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Herminio
Herminio Cordido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #561
Regular Crew

I really liked it... nice camera work too. What was it shot with?

Luke
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #562
Regular Crew

It was shot with a Sony Z1u, 50i, deinterlaced in post, Magic Bullet Color Correction, output PAL sd from After effects.
Herminio Cordido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #563
Major Player

That was fascinating and poetic.
Loved it.
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #564
Trustee

Transcontinental

Hey all, I just finished a short film for my American History class. Shot in 2 days and edited in 2 sleepless nights mere hours before the deadline. I liked how it turned out though; it was something different and a lot of fun. Used an XHA1 with magic bullet looks in FCP.

Not perfect I know, as crew was somewhat nonexistent, but some comments would be welcome, more so in the areas of shot composition, editing, storytelling and the general flow. I'm always looking for ways to improve my work. Also, actors were members of the class, so no real 'actors' here, though some of us like to think so!

Enjoy-

http://www.vimeo.com/1022932
Nate Haustein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #565
Trustee

Brilliant !!

Paul.
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #566
Major Player

Well, it is great for a student film. I wish I had access to equipment like this when I was starting out (we fought for time on the cuts only 3/4" bays).

The story, the acting and the editing are fine. I like the sense of mystery you created.

My only complaint would be the anachronistic elements. The highway, the heater and electrical panel. I don't know what you were dealing with but if you could have adjusted your shots, maybe you could have removed them from the scenes?

But overall, really great work!
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #567
Trustee

thanks!

Well, things are always a work in progress. It's been suggested that I add short flash dissolves before and after flashbacks/character histories. Yay or nay? Is the washed out color enough already for people to tell that its a different time?

Oh, and I'm kinda lying about the "HD," I found that SD uprezzed to 720[ looks better on vimeo than the SD version. Sorry to decieve!

What else is fixable?
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #568
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
The highway, the heater and electrical panel. I don't know what you were dealing with but if you could have adjusted your shots, maybe you could have removed them from the scenes?

Yeah, a real bummer now that it's done. When I started I didn't have any real plans to take the time to make this a quality piece. I was stressed out and low on time so I was just going to kinda do it "good enough." After we got the footage though, I realized just how much I liked some of the performances and the script in general.

Highway really does take away from the whole experience, but the "saloon" location was to good to pass up (especially with a sub-$30 budget)- no way to avoid those cars though, that's a freeway in the background! We shot that scene first, and after that things like the electrical box and heater seemed kinda trivial if the highway was in the first shot. You're correct that I should have been able to frame them out however.

If I learned one thing from this production is that I guess I don't do things "good enough." I'm in it for the production no matter what. Would have liked a boom on the shoot, and an operator for that matter; also lights might have added some, also, more tripod shots; I think I did the whole thing handheld- cept for the last shot where Kit is walking away through the bodies, someone else had to do that one *wince* cause I had to play dead!
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #569
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Highway really does take away from the whole experience,
I wonder if you can blur the highway to make it less noticeable.

Quote:
Would have liked a boom on the shoot, and an operator for that matter; also lights might have added some, also, more tripod shots; I think I did the whole thing handheld- cept for the last shot where Kit is walking away through the bodies, someone else had to do that one *wince* cause I had to play dead!
Shhh! Don't be apologizing for that stuff! The audio was quite adequate. Some dialog was a little lower which you can bring up but overall not bad. I did notice some camera bobble but not too bad. Having said that, if ya got sticks, use 'em! The lighting was adequate too.

I did find one fairly major problem with your script though: this website, http://www.nps.gov/gosp/ states the spike was driven on May 10, 1869, although I read somewhere else it was May 15. So I'm not sure what the actual date was.

Its good work that you should be proud of. Now you know what to look for on your next attempt!
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #570
Trustee

I just uploaded this exact file to Vimeo
http://vimeo.com/1032267
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work