Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 113 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #1681
Major Player

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Sadly, this thread has got SO big most knowledgeable people seemed to have left it for other forums.

About thirty pages ago Chris finally agreed to shift it, but its so long I couldn't find his post.

Sad really!

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #1682
Inner Circle

I have tried using the report button to ask for a separate category and eventhough I"m sure it will come I also agree that it's long overdue. Lot's of valuable information get's lost now in this already huge thread.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #1683
Inner Circle

I think the challenge is there is SO MUCH that sorting it out may have caused Chris to have been sucked into a black hole...

I too suggested that DVi should have a "4K" area, which would be AX100, GH4, and FZ1000 at present, plus an area for platforms, workflow, delivery... sort of a "life on the bleeding edge" area!

Logically, an area for the AX100 and RX series still cams makes some sense (grouping by sensor), there are scattered posts for these...

Again, just SO much volume that sorting is probably a monumental task! Then how to best "re-forum" all the content!?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #1684
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
I think the challenge is there is SO MUCH that sorting it out may have caused Chris to have been sucked into a black hole...

I too suggested that DVi should have a "4K" area, which would be AX100, GH4, and FZ1000 at present, plus an area for platforms, workflow, delivery... sort of a "life on the bleeding edge" area!

Logically, an area for the AX100 and RX series still cams makes some sense (grouping by sensor), there are scattered posts for these...

Again, just SO much volume that sorting is probably a monumental task! Then how to best "re-forum" all the content!?
I wouldn't worry too much about sorting out this existing monster-thread. Just create the new area, post a link from this thread, then lock this one and let the discussion continue elsewhere.

Perhaps a few of us should each start a new thread in the new area about the topics that most concern us, quoting the most recent couple of relevant posts from here.

If someone, later, has the patience to tease out the different discussions from here into separate threads, then so much the better, but that it's not a prerequisite.
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #1685
Major Player

Sony FDR-AX100 Wins European EISA Award

Probably no surprise to those who own one.

Old August 15th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1686
Regular Crew

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the ax100 to auto separate large files into multiple ones. Some kind of record limit so the files are not over 4 GB's each.

Thanks!
Travis Heberling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #1687
Regular Crew

Anyone here know of a bracket that can be use to let me use the AX100 on a tripod along with the XLR-K1M at the same time? Not sure where to look for such a gizmo, basically it would need to be a bracket that could mount to the tripod at the same time as the AX100 and add a cold shoe mount off to the side. That way I could plug the hot shoe connector right into the camera, and mount the XLR-K1M on the cold shoe mount to the side. I've seen handheld ones and I already have one like that, but I was wondering if there was a solution for full tripod use of both camera and audio adapter.
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #1688
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Siamidis View Post
Anyone here know of a bracket that can be use to let me use the AX100 on a tripod along with the XLR-K1M at the same time? Not sure where to look for such a gizmo, basically it would need to be a bracket that could mount to the tripod at the same time as the AX100 and add a cold shoe mount off to the side. That way I could plug the hot shoe connector right into the camera, and mount the XLR-K1M on the cold shoe mount to the side. I've seen handheld ones and I already have one like that, but I was wondering if there was a solution for full tripod use of both camera and audio adapter.
There a lots of these brackets, like

Bower VA320 Flash Bracket for Flash Or Video Light 2 Shoes | Focus Camera

Is this what you mean?
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #1689
Trustee

Re: Sony FDR-AX100 Wins European EISA Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carter View Post
Probably no surprise to those who own one.
Thanks Dan and yes, no surprise. :)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #1690
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Heberling View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the ax100 to auto separate large files into multiple ones. Some kind of record limit so the files are not over 4 GB's each.

Thanks!
The only way to do that is to use a SDHC card, but you're limited to 32GB and you cannot record 4K in this mode. SDXC uses a different file system so there theoretically don't need to have file size limits. If you're copying to a FAT32 drive, you may want to format it to exFAT, which is the same file system as SDXC. Mac OS and Windows can read and write to exFAT. Linux is the only one that can't read exFAT out of the box.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #1691
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
There a lots of these brackets, like

Bower VA320 Flash Bracket for Flash Or Video Light 2 Shoes | Focus Camera

Is this what you mean?
Not sure that would work, like how does that connect to a tripod? That one looks more like it's intended to be gripped in hand. What I want to do is mount the AX100 on a tripod along with the XLR-K1M so I guess I need some kind of bracket that can connect to the tripod, allow the AX100 to connect to it and offer a cold shoe off to the side to connect the XLR-K1M (it's hot shoe connects to the AX100, and its cold shoe connects to that bracket). Not sure if I'm explaining it right...but I need something that works for tripod use for longer steady shots. For handheld type stuff I use one of these:

Amazon.com : Opteka X-GRIP Professional Camera / Camcorder Action Stabilizing Handle- Black : Professional Video Stabilizers : Camera & Photo

So the AX100 connects to the bottom plate, the XLR-K1M connect to the cold shoe on the top, and it's hot shoe connector then gets hooked to the AX100 and it all works cool for handheld. Now I need a solution for tripod use but haven't quite found a simple bracket that does it, most people seem to use more complicated rigs to do that sort of thing but I was hoping to avoid a rig setup since all I really need is just one extra cold shoe.
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #1692
Major Player

I have this bracket that includes a female tripod socket thread on the bottom screw which allows it to fit between a tripod and camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/918053-REG/vello_cb_510_dual_shoe_brackt.html
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #1693
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Siamidis View Post
Not sure that would work, like how does that connect to a tripod? That one looks more like it's intended to be gripped in hand. What I want to do is mount the AX100 on a tripod along with the XLR-K1M so I guess I need some kind of bracket that can connect to the tripod, allow the AX100 to connect to it and offer a cold shoe off to the side to connect the XLR-K1M (it's hot shoe connects to the AX100, and its cold shoe connects to that bracket). Not sure if I'm explaining it right...but I need something that works for tripod use for longer steady shots. For handheld type stuff I use one of these:

Amazon.com : Opteka X-GRIP Professional Camera / Camcorder Action Stabilizing Handle- Black : Professional Video Stabilizers : Camera & Photo

So the AX100 connects to the bottom plate, the XLR-K1M connect to the cold shoe on the top, and it's hot shoe connector then gets hooked to the AX100 and it all works cool for handheld. Now I need a solution for tripod use but haven't quite found a simple bracket that does it, most people seem to use more complicated rigs to do that sort of thing but I was hoping to avoid a rig setup since all I really need is just one extra cold shoe.
I know what you want - that device I linked to has a tripod female connector on the bottom (see it - it is round) to attach your tripod. It also has a male screw to attach your camcorder, and gives you two extra cold shoes. It seems to be exactly what you need. You attach the device to your tripod, you attach your camcorder to the device. It does exactly the same thing the Opteka does, exactly.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #1694
Major Player

The only thing - if using one of these brackets on a camera with a fold out lcd screen, make sure the one you get has enough clearance. I'm actually looking for one that gets the cold shoe further to the left of the camera. I want to mount an led light over there and still have room to use the lcd.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #1695
Regular Crew

Oh ok cool, that wasn't immediately obvious to me from the pic for some reason. Thanks guys I'll order it and give it a shot.
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds