Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old September 28th, 2014, 03:53 AM   #256
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

Weird. The video starts off with the unboxing of a Panasonic X70.

:-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 05:55 AM   #257
Major Player

[quote=Bill Petropoulos;1862744]Some new videos shot with the PXW-X70:

@samjamez shared on twitter that this was shot with the PXW-X70:
Arras Tunnel Open Day - Wellington - YouTube

I had the chance to handle the camera and I can confirm that the handle (the only reason for a non-broadcast user would buy this one over the AX100 basically for the "looks") is small but big compared to the camera, taking all the fun away from a small tool to go unnoticed. Also the handling is absurd (you end up holding it with three fingers, like a toy). The XLR is important with any camera but I doubt that not many of the X70 buyers have any or plan to buy any. Wireless lav is more important (more than XLR) and it works fine on the AX100. The version batteryless is interesting but you still have to bring them for the receiver so... not that big after all (and on the X70 you have to remove the handle making the process idiot-proof, in terms of idiotic if you ask me).

Again the AX100 still looks good with all the problems still not fixed with the X70 by the way.

for broadcast is cheap and interesting.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #258
Inner Circle

XAVC-S is 8bit 4:2:0 but XAVC-L is 10bit 4:2:2 depending on the subject matter, lighting and also the playback chain you may not notice much of a difference at first. Heavy processing will see a difference though.

I do not have the camera so I just put the files from the internet into Edius which played back fine. What software came with the camera ?

I too am looking forward to the new Browser software should replace the 4 I now use. PMB, Content Management Utility, XDCam Browser and PlayMemories Home.

I still have PMB on one PC and PlayMemories on a second PC to transfer the AX1 files as PMB has been replaced by PlayMemoies minus some features !!! Hope we get a nice full set of features with the new software.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #259

I have the new PMW-300 and was early out the gate with applying the latest firmware which brought the XAVC recording capability to the camera. I quickly recorded a sample file just to see how it worked .... and I haven't done any more with it since.

Going out on a limb here ... I simply couldn't see the difference in quality between it and 50Mbit XDCAM. Maybe it's something that you need to get used to (like better quality audio speakers) and it's only later that you can look back and see the difference? I really don't know.

Just earlier today I was recounting this to a friend who works in the industry and does a lot of colourist work in addition to editing. His response wasn't to say "yes, it really is better, just wait and see" in terms of image quality. He merely commented that the XAVC material was even better for colour grading work due to the extra two bits of depth in the image data.

Not that there is anything wrong with 50Mbit XDCAM which itself grades beautifully.

I honestly don't feel compelled to record in XAVC and have my recording capacity cut in half due to the doubled data rate of the new format.

Andrew
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #260
Regular Crew

Here are some shots I took and finally got a chance to put them together. Crudely thrown together in Premier Pro. The original files do look much better as Mike Griffiths noted.

Stephen Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #261

I'll have crack at that embed for you:

Andrew

Old September 28th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #262
Regular Crew

Thanks. Not sure what I was doing wrong w. the Vimeo. Youtube embedded just fine. Thanks for the help.
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #263
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post

Andrew
Have you never seen this boring videos of people unboxing, there was one of the X70 a few days ago, it was a joke, but maybe you could not see that! ( my sense of humour is pathetic!!)
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #264
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post

Andrew
OOPS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!! thinking of my GH3 at the time that I love, humblest apologies!!!!!!!!
Old September 28th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #265

Hi Mike,

I did note the sense of humour. And I knew the Panasonic reference was an unintentional goof. Happens to us all.

Andrew
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #266
Regular Crew

You've got a credit on the video for pointing it out, no royalties I'm afraid!
Old September 29th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #267
Regular Crew

Ok, Tonight I tried out the Infra Red system, and am disappointed, but maybe I'm not familiar enough with the camera yet. If anyone has comments, ideas or suggestions PLEASE POST THEM
The video (very short) is
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #268
Trustee

I have only limited experience with Sony IR recording, but my thoughts are:
1) it is intended to be used not so much in low light, but rather in NO light
2) the image quality is not expected to be very good
3) the IR light doesn't project very far, so it's more effective for closer in shots.
Personally, I have never found an actual use for this feature, but it is on so many different Sony cams, for so many years, I can't help but think someone must use it for something...
Old September 29th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #269
Regular Crew

Try your test again in no light, with an up close subject. The camera basically has a small IR spotlight that is only really capable of reaching 9-12 feet. Perfect for interviews, but not usable for really anything else. For me, it's a perfectly acceptable feature as you can't expect a camera to provide light where there is no light.
Old September 29th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #270
Inner Circle

I think Ghost Hunters, PI's, certain wildlife videographers (bats and other nocturnal critters), and people wanting to take video of sleeping babies are the "primary market"...

Robert is correct on all three observations...

I'll add that nightshot is NOT designed for military style IR as heat detection (useful for ID'ing and icing bad guys), but rather is a mode designed to capture an IR illuminated scene so there is no need for "normal" spectrum light that might disturb the subject or call attention to the shooter in otherwise dark conditions.

As noted, the Sony has a smallish IR emitting LED that will illuminate a limited area (think of it as any other "on camera light"). There are larger IR LED arrays capable of illuminating (in IR light) a much larger area if you need to shoot a large area in near or total darkness (see ebay).

Nightshot and IR illumination are not designed for typical video, but as noted, there must be a market, because it's been a long time Sony "feature", maybe someone at Sony REALLY likes video of stuff that goes bump in the night?!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds