Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 1st, 2014, 08:46 AM   #286
Regular Crew

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

Ron looks quite a lot of us got this issue. Hopefully Sony can resolve this quickly.
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:22 AM   #287
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woo View Post
Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

Ron looks quite a lot of us got this issue. Hopefully Sony can resolve this quickly.
Well I think it is useful for people using a Mac as they can at least convert to Prores and get to use in FCPX etc. But for PC users Sony has much better options. Sad.

Catalyst should recognize all Sony cameras as advertized. It should transfer clips ( all files between start and stop on the camera) as clips not files just like PMB, Should rename just like PMB to date and time of clip taken and place in directory of the date transferred ( just like PMB or better yet allow naming before transfer in metadata ). not sure what they were thinking. Not having Vegas recognize files is just silly when Edius does just fine.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:17 PM   #288
Major Player

If you're talking about Catalyst - no, the ProRes export is grayed out on a Mac according to another user here on dvinfo.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 11:28 PM   #289
Regular Crew

?????? I can see and use Pro Res and import into Premiere Pro CS6 but just one clip at a time, tedious
Old October 2nd, 2014, 02:25 AM   #290
Regular Crew

Slight change, Talking about CONTENT BROWSER

I have just bought Content Browser so that I can see X70 MXF files. I can see them and I can see AVCHD from the camera, but I cannot export them. All export options are greyed out:
iMac Mavericks 10.9, content browser 2.3 ( downloaded today)
When I tried the trial yesterday I could’ import into FPX. I don’t use FP I use Premiere Pro, but at least I was able to import them, and PP would accept them now I can do nothing
Help please
Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:48 AM   #291
Trustee

Like others it's been a nightmare trying to get X70 clips into Vegas 13. It's just not happening. Converting the XAVC-L 50-mbit 422 files to XAVC Intra has worked by using Catalyst but man is it slow and tedious when it can only handle one clip at a time. Sony SCS need to fix this quickly with a Vegas build update. Especially as opposition NLEs like Edius 7 can handle the native X70 files with no issues.

I downloaded Gabor Heeres' X70 footage to have play with in Vegas, thanks Gabor for making these clips available.

http://we.tl/XlxyCMBi6U

Must say I am pleasantly surprised at the images coming out of this camera from what little I have seen. The zoom also seems to be quite useable. Look forward to trying one of these out soon.

Anyone interested in having a look at the Ops manual I've uploaded it here:

www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/j94ogl

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:52 AM   #292
Major Player

I do edit most of my work using Vegas Pro 13. Though on my macbook I work with Premiere Pro using a CC membership. For now, I make a rawcut XDCAM HD 422 MXF file of it using premiere. That one I am able to edit in Vegas again. Quite comprehensive though..... I really hope updates of all software for this XAVC Long-gop codec are coming soon. :Looks like FCP, Avid, Vegas Pro and even VLC player are still aren't able to work with these files.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:08 AM   #293
Inner Circle

I can select multiple files with normal windows actions. Highlight the first , hold down shift and click the last then all are selected. Likewise using ctrl I can select a group of files. This is for AVCHD files since I only have one x70 file from the internet. As I said before this action is useless as it does not join files into a clip just transfer as mts files.

Ron Evans
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:14 AM   #294
Major Player

Ron, The AVCHD files aren't the problem. Those you are able to import and edit. The issue exists with the XAVC-L MXF files. There are a couple of files available for download here to play with:

http://we.tl/XlxyCMBi6U
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:38 AM   #295
Inner Circle

Thanks I have those files. Like the Mac the windows version will only deal even with AVCHD one file at a time for transcode but will transfer to the PC a group of files selected as I mentioned. It is not as good as PlayMemories at the moment in my mind. PlayMemories does recognise clips on the cards ( not files), camera info etc so this is a backward step in my mind. It may be an attempt by the Sony Pro division to catch up with the consumer division !!!

Ron Evans
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:44 AM   #296
Inner Circle

Did any software come with the X70 camera ? Normally Sony includes software with the camera.

Ron Evans
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:16 PM   #297
Trustee

The CD that came with the camera only contains the user manual in multiple languages.
As others have reported, the XAVC files will play in PPro CC 2014, but file import is not properly worked out yet.
Sony PMH will not recognize the MXF files.
Catalyst Browse will copy the files to the HDD, but file naming is lame (001, 002, etc.), and then when I import to PPro and drag to a timeline, it duplicates the audio to 4 separate tracks which are linked such that I can't delete the redundant 3 tracks.
On the other hand, shooting AVCHD at the highest quality produces some very beautiful footage.
I'm using the preset PP2 in bright sunlight today.
I really like the 1" Exmor R backlit sensor. This camera reminds me of the things I liked about the Sony VG 20, but obviously the X70 is way better in so many ways.
The AVCHD files import easily with Sony PMH and have the nice filenames that include the date.
Bottom line for me right now is I'm happy to stick with AVCHD until Sony sorts out the workflow problems with XAVC
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:52 PM   #298
Regular Crew

Yes me too, I'll work in AVCHD for now as you say, really nice. i've sent a test file to Red Giant who were surprised to find they too could not open the XAVC video file. They seem to be working on it. Let's hope
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:31 PM   #299
Trustee

Through old connections I have with Sony SCS, don't ask it's a long story. The short of it is that I used to demonstrate Vegas at major broadcast shows so still have some old connections through to SCS.

I received an email today from from Michael Bryant, he's the Director of Marketing at Sony Creative Software. Here is what he had to say:

"Hi Chris;

We are aware of this problem with Vegas Pro and it is on our roadmap to rectify. We do not have a specific release time for the update but will net-notify everyone once it is in place. We’re also aware of the batch export feature request for Catalyst Browse and have sent the request to the dev team.

Thanks for checking out Catalyst Browse and for all the support you have provided for Vegas Pro over the years."

So I guess the upshot is that they are working on it and we just have to be patient I guess. Hope it's soon!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #300
Regular Crew

Here's a real short video I put together using the Slow Motion feature on the PXW-X70. I shot it by myself of myself so it's not the best angles possible. I really like this feature as well as the Quick Motion. Let me know what you think.

Disclaimer, I'm just a hobbyist, and by no means am I any where even remotely professional, so treat it as such.

Stephen Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds