FX1000 has arrived - first impressions - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #76
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
John, the auto focus is stonger on the VX2100 than the FX1000. In fact the auto-focus is downright frustrating at times on this cam. If you don't need widescreen and /or hi-definition footage you will be disappointed. If you do need widescreen or HD it is a great option if you can't afford an EX1 or some other more expensive cam.
Oh no! That is not what I wanted to hear. :-) With fast moving skaters autofocus is critical to getting high quality material. The basic reason for the new camera would be for the widescreen format in SD as Blu-ray is still not a viable distribution media for most of our clients. It would be nice to have the HD master tapes for when Blu-ray players are more widespread and media is reasonably priced.

I had looked at the Canon A1 when it first came out but passed it by based on reports of poor autofocus performance. I was really hoping the FX1000 was finally a suitable HD replacement for the VX2100.

Are you saying the EX1 has better autofocus?

Last edited by John Gayman; December 4th, 2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added comment
John Gayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #77
New Boot

I think that we are comparing two totally diferent cameras as you know high definition cameras will be a lot worse in poor ligthing conditions and the one's that are great cost a lot of money Ijust think that with the technology that we have rigth now this camera is worth it every penny people who think that this camera is worthless problably they're kind of work is more professional than some of us in my case this camera and the fx1 which I owned are great cameras and asa soon you got the rigth settings on them you can make wonders but that's just me, I don't think you have to be agreed with me because we may use this kind of cameras for diferent projects
Juan Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #78
Major Player

low light pics

These are frame grabs from the VX (SD timeline) and FX (HDV timeline). Both cams are set to F2.8, 0db.

I'll try to get some more that are side by side later.
Tim Akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #79
Regular Crew

And Tim by FX I'm assuming you mean the new FX1000 not the old FX1.

Those low light results look pretty amazing to me - especially considering the VX has fewer and hence larger pixel sites. This kind of sensitivity is going to be a blessing to HD both for low light situations and for shooting with a 35mm film adapter.

Besides money I can't imagine why anyone who has still been clinging to the shore of SD wouldn't take the plunge to HD. I bought the FX1 right when it came out and have been enjoying HD shooting for a long time now. Now I can finally get back the low light sensitivity I loved with the VX that I had to give up when I started shooting with the FX1.

The FX1000 looks like a well-rounded, well-priced, perfect HD option for anything: docs, films, weddings, corporate, you name it.
Nathan Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Troutman View Post
And Tim by FX I'm assuming you mean the new FX1000 not the old FX1.

Yeah, FX1000, sorry.

Here's some more side by side.

Old December 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #81
Inner Circle

Tim can you address the issue of gain. How do these compare as the gain is increased to the point where they are not usable? Can the new CMOS technology use just a little gain to get ahead. From the samples 3db might just do it?
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #82
Major Player

Tim, thanks for posting those screen grabs. That is pretty amazing.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Tim can you address the issue of gain. How do these compare as the gain is increased to the point where they are not usable? Can the new CMOS technology use just a little gain to get ahead. From the samples 3db might just do it?
Ron Evans

Here some more grabs with almost no light. The noise is bad in both cams (18 & 21bd of gain, what do you expect) I'll try and check to see when the noise starts to get bad in the FX this weekend.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/t...cture152-2.jpg

Old December 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #84
New Boot

I think you got me with this examples this is what I was waiting for to make my desicion on wich camera to buy since Ihave the fx1 I will be buying the fx 1000. Do you know if this fx 1000 will use the same type of battery (series L)? yhank you so much for the footage Monday I will be getting my christmas present, (an fx1000)
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #85
Major Player

Juan, the FX1000 does indeed use the "L" Infolithium battery. Thank you Sony.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Hernandez View Post
I think you got me with this examples this is what I was waiting for to make my desicion on wich camera to buy since Ihave the fx1 I will be buying the fx 1000. Do you know if this fx 1000 will use the same type of battery (series L)? yhank you so much for the footage Monday I will be getting my christmas present, (an fx1000)
Juan, you won't be disappointed. I always ran the VX in manual, but so far I'm real inpressed with auto in the FX. You can set the auto gain to -7 so that will keep the gain down. I almost always had to turn the gain down one or two clicks from auto on the VX. You also have a setting to adjust the gain to "slow", so you don't have those abrupt changes in exposure. I really won't no untill I use the FX in real world (wedding) and edit the footage, as to how good this cam really is.
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #87
New Boot

thanks tim, Now I have a question. I was browsing the web trying to find the best deal on this camera (FX1000) and I found it on -------- ----- for $ 2600. I think that this is a pretty good deal. have any of you bougth any thing from this web site? is this place legit I heard of some web sites giving you great deals and turn out to be a pain and fraudulent. please any advice! and thanks again
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #88
New Boot

Run, don't walk, away. A quick Google search will reveal why.
Norman Gaddis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #89
Major Player

You aren't kidding. Most of those sites are all owned by the same company under different names. The wonderful thing is, I've seen official google and youtube ads promoting them as trusted dealers.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #90
Major Player

I purchase all my gear at B&H Photo.
Tim Akin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000