FX1000 has arrived - first impressions - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #226
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Patterson View Post
So Michael, you say then all I need is Blu-Ray burner and software like Power Director to burn tape in HD to a BD disc. Correct? I have a Blu-Ray player hooked to my HDTV. Then can watch in HD the movies I make with this camera in HD? Thanks for reply
Sorry, I am not familiar with Power Director.

But as for burning BluRay disks, this a whole other ball of wax.
As you will have more options available to you on a PC currently, and limited on a MAC (Adobe Encore and Toast).

You will need software that can capture and encode your files from tape or CF card and then transpose it to BluRay recordable media format.

Currently many PC software packages do this, Sony Vegas lets you burn to BluRay right from your timeline, while Premiere will render your BluRay files to take into Encore for BluRay burning. Eduis and Liquid have their methods too, but I am not familiar with them.

Check your NLE software for BluRay capabilities.

As I said BluRay is much harder to do on the MAC side of things as Apple still doesn't ahve native BluRay burning capabilities built into it yet.
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #227
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Duffy View Post
Anyone out there using the CF unit. Any feedback on it welcome.
One way or the other Martin, I'm thinking you would have to control the CF unit manually. The Z5 allows for synchronization with the record button and, ironically, so does a camera like the Canon XH-A1 since it has DV control.

In my mind this makes the CF unit much less desirable with the 1000.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #228
Regular Crew

CF unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The Z5 allows for synchronization with the record button and, ironically, so does a camera like the Canon XH-A1 since it has DV control.

mmmm, so this means in effect whilst recording with the 1000 the CF unit will just stay in record and not be affected by pausing on the camera. For me this would be OK and still better than lugging along a laptop.

Any pictures out there of how the CF unit looks ontop of the 1000 or Z5?
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #229
Trustee

That's my take from doing some research on this Martin.
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #230
Regular Crew

CF unit and FX1000 recording issue

Gee it would be a bother thinking you are in record on the CF unit and of course you are not.

That would be one hell of a downer and no doubt it would happen from time to time.

starting to think I should have held out for the Z5.
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #231
Trustee

Martin, I think if you really are thinking of the CF unit you should really consider the Z5. I've kind of turned a bit on this too now that I've discovered the 1000 doesn't have external device control.

I really find it ironic that a Canon can better control the Sony CF unit than their own FX1000.
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #232
Regular Crew

Z5/FX1000 record/pause issue

I also find it ironic and rather irritating that it takes a full 4+ seconds for the FX1000 to go back into record if you have quickly done a record>pause>record.

Why is it that my 10 year old Sony TRV900 does not have this problem?

This is nothing more than laughable?

I shake my head once again but as I said a few weeks ago the creators need something to do and no doubt fix it on the next release/upgrade.

Dick.....s!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #233
Trustee

Actually that pause on resuming a recording is inherent in the HDV format. Any HDV cam I've had (yes, even my Canon HV20), can at times have a long pause while going back in to record from a quick pause.
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #234
Inner Circle

Ken's right - it's 'rewind and cue into the pulses before we drop into record at the exact frame' HDV thing. The Z1 (and I guess a lot of other cams) have a 'quick record' setting in the menu that over-rides this 'exact frame' nonsense and (as the instructions tell you) might just give you a tiny picture break-up at the join.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #235
Inner Circle

Actually the FX1000 has a quick record feature, and thanks to you Tom I understand what caused the weirdness at the beginning of my clips.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #236
Trustee

Jeff, does that glitch only occur when coming in and out of a quick pause or does it occur at the beginning of every clip regardless of how long the pause is?
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #237
Inner Circle

Ken, I honestly am not sure. The weirdness is a vague memory, unfortunately I'm working 18 hours stints, have been all week and I don't even remember which project it was, but I'm tempted to say that the non-HD was not as affected, but again I just can't remember. I have not done a full edit yet on anything I've shot with cam., still working on SD stuff.

As I remember it was just as Tom mentioned a very tiny picture break up that as far as I'm concerned it a non-issue. Now that I know what it is I'm OK with it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #238
Trustee

Got it, thanks Jeff.
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #239
Inner Circle

Simplistically DV is one frame at a time HDV is 15 frames as a group with all needed to make sense of the video. For DV starting can either overwrite the the last recordings or leave a gap. For HDV starting in the middle of GOP will wreck the remaining pictures of the GOP and will be seen as a glitch. The slow start is for the mechanism to line up correctly on an I frame.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #240
Inner Circle

Nice explanation Ron, thank you very much.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000