FX1000 and additional lighting... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Major Player

FX1000 and additional lighting...

I just did a wedding last Saturday where the dance floor was very nicely lighten up with "disco" lights (multiple colors and strobes). My camera handled it very well and it allowed me to run on +3 or +6 dB gain. Of course I had to use additional light (I have Bescor 50W on camera light) to fill-in for faces.

I'm just curious what you guys use as a fill-in on-camera light for darker scenes. What kind of lights and batteries and how long it last? I would love to run a 5-6 hrs reception on the least amount of batteries - currently I need at least 3-4 12v 7Ah Lead-Acid rechargeables.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

For 50w lights you should stick with what you have or go with Anton Bauer batteries. But with a charging system an AB battery system for your light starts at at well over $1K.

I'd stick with what you have or if you can get by with less light then you could try the Micropanel on camera light for $300, which uses AA batteries (I think) or the SIMA SL20 for $39 which lasts for 40 minutes and is rechargeable. I have six of them, they do well.

The Sony 10/20 watt light that uses 970 batteries is my other light, and it goes for a couple of hours and throws out a decent amount of light. I also own a Lowell ID light for use with a lead acid battery, but I don't use it much.

I would also check in the lighting forum, as they keep up to date on this stuff pretty well.

Some guys put two Lowell or Bescor 50w or 100W lights on light stands, hook them up to batteries, and let them run. You put them up high, and they work great. You should bounce one off the ceiling for the best effect.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM   #3
Trustee

I use the the Sony 10/20 with the 970 battery as well and it's enough to cover the whole wedding (the times of course that you need the extra light).

Stelios
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Major Player

The Sony 10/20 works but it's junk. If you can't dim the light in someones face it's worthless. I have a Swit light which works great. It put's out about 35 watts, works with Sony batteries, lasts all night and is just as light (meaning weight) as the 10/20. I'm about to buy a Comer 1800 light and I'll let you know how that goes. Take a look at the thread going on in the Z7 forum.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

For the Sony light I use the Stoffen diffuser which fits on the front and softens the light perfectly for interviews. It cost about $10 and will fit in your pocket if your trousers aren't too tight.

I don't have a link but google the stoffen and the sony light together if interested and you'll find it quickly enough.
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Jeff, I have one of those lights. I actually keep it thrown in my bag in case of an emergency. I know they make some diffusers for them now but at the time I was using it they made nothing for it. I bought a diffuser for a camera flash, and with velcro on the sides, made my own. It worked better but there is still no substitute for a good light with a dimmer. I haven't even wanted to use that light for over 2 years. Yes, these other lights are 3 times the cost of the 10/20 but they make up for it in every way possible. Use one of these LED lights on one shoot and you would never go back to the 10/20. I'm not putting down your equipment and workflow, I'm just saying there is a much better way, especially since you're in the wedding market.
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
I have a Swit light which works great. It put's out about 35 watts, works with Sony batteries,
Rob which one have you got and what is the Luminance at 1m?

Stelios
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Major Player

I have the Swit model 2010 I believe. I'm not sure what the light output is at a meter. I can tell you even with the filter and diffuser it's brighter than the Sony and much more even spread of light. I just purchased a Comer 1800 and I've heard it has nice color output and much brighter than the Swit. I should get it next week. If I have time I'll dig out my light meter and see if I can give you the comparison you're looking for between the three units.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:25 AM   #9
Trustee

Rob

I found out that the luminance of the Sony light 10/20 is 800 lux at 1m and the Swit S-2010 is 550 lux at 1m. This means, theoretically, that the Sony one is brighter than the Swit model.

Stelios
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The Swit looks too much like the poorly reviewed Sony LED for me, though I'm sure it's a fine light.

As I mentioned earlier I have an Lowell ID light (with dimmer) up to 100 watts but I actually use both the Sony and the Sima 20 LCD instead.

The Sima LCDs only last 40 minutes but I run two at a time and they are plenty bright when combined. No dimmer but I just run either one or two and it seems to work out fine.

I admit the Comer 1800 looks nice, but at $400 cannot be worth the price to me. Considering a 100w professional broadcast light by Lowell runs $229 and is at least twice as powerful it is too much.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM   #11
Major Player

Jeff, the reason these LED lights are appealing to me is the fact that I don't have to carry around a battery pack all night. I keep my 100 watt light & battery pack attached to my tripod so when I'm not mobile, and need additional light, it's there. I know by the end of the night my butt is usually dragging.

Stelios, as soon as I get the other light I'll do a side by side comparison and try to shoot some footage.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The Comer is actually tempting Rob, and appears to be pretty nice. I criticized it's price but actually almost ordered one last night anyway, as I would love to have one. I might see what you think of yours and consider it again.

The Simas used in an array of two are nice because they weigh almost nothing, about an ounce. When I need less light I switch one off and presto I'm good for an interview.

The Sony battery is heavy and I hate the way it throws off the balance of the camera.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM   #13
New Boot

I purchased the Comer 1800 last week from lacolorshop (Taky Cheung) and it is much more powerful than one might think. I own the Sony 10/20w, have used the Sony HVL-LBP LED and now added the Comer 1800 LED, and I will tell you that the Comer is at least 4x as powerful as the Sony 10/20 (set to 20w), and 1.5 to 2X as powerful as the Sony HVL-LBP LED. Also, it has the best spread of light that I have seen on any on camera light that I have used. The Sony 10/20w looks like a small flashlight with a hotspot (adding my Stofen diffuser makes it better, but cuts the light output significantly).

The Comer 1800 is rated at 1800 lux at 1M, and with the condenser, I would say that the light puts out power equivalent to 75w while only consuming 20W. There are many threads on the Comer 1800 already on DVInfo, a search will yield a lot of positive feedback on this light.
Alex Goldshteyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM   #14
Major Player

I should have mine by Wednesday. I'm glad to hear the positive feedback.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I ordered one. Pricey, yes, but it does appear to be rather nice.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000