FX1000 and additional lighting... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 4th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #31
New Boot

[QUOTE=Stelios Christofides;1166966]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Goldshteyn View Post
Stelios, below is a link to a demo of the Comer 1800 w/the Condenser trick (around 1:20 into the video):

What is a "condenser lens trick" ?

Stelios
The condensor lens trick is when you apply the condensor lens but leave approximately a 15 degree angle between the lens and the light, which intensifies the spotlight effect and generates more power into a smaller space. If you look at Taky's video, he provides a good example of how it works.
Alex Goldshteyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I don't have a Z5, I have an FX1000. The light will not balance on my camera.

It is not coming out of the box. He has shipped it but I will be returning it unopened. I appreciate that he has a full refund policy if the box if unopened.
Jeff - I used the Sony HVL-LBP (exactly same size and weight) on both my FX1 and V1U and didn't find it a problem - you can use the 770 battery and get about an hour to an hour and a half out of it. I now use the Comer 1800 on my Sony PMW-EX1 and have no problem although I am using the Hoodman Wrist Shot -
WristShot® Camcorder Support System-Hoodman Corporation
and found that it works quite well in freeing up your left hand for manual adjustments to the camera.

I did try the Litepanels MicroPro and ended up sending it back - the beam is much narrower than the Comer 1800 and the light output is much less than the Comer.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info Barry.

I might try the light out, it really seems to be the best bang for the buck.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #34
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Jeff - I used the Sony HVL-LBP (exactly same size and weight) on both my FX1 and V1U and didn't find it a problem - you can use the 770 battery and get about an hour to an hour and a half out of it. I now use the Comer 1800 on my Sony PMW-EX1 and have no problem although I am using the Hoodman Wrist Shot -
WristShot® Camcorder Support System-Hoodman Corporation
and found that it works quite well in freeing up your left hand for manual adjustments to the camera.

I did try the Litepanels MicroPro and ended up sending it back - the beam is much narrower than the Comer 1800 and the light output is much less than the Comer.
Barry, do you have any video comparing the Comer 1800 and the Litepanels MicroPro? I'd be curious to see the difference, especially since the MicroPro is about $70 more expensive.
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #35
Inner Circle

If you go to youtube you can find videos if you do a search. What I saw yesterday evening was not impressive at all.
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #36
Major Player

It seems it doesn’t matter what product you buy, there are concessions to be made somewhere. We continually strive to put out better video and sometimes that means having to be inconvenienced at times. I was carrying around S-VHS tapes at one point. That was a hassle. I’ll give you my report once my light comes in.

Last edited by Rob Morse; July 5th, 2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Spell like a moron
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #37
Trustee

[QUOTE=Alex Goldshteyn;1167034]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post

The condensor lens trick is when you apply the condensor lens but leave approximately a 15 degree angle between the lens and the light, which intensifies the spotlight effect and generates more power into a smaller space. If you look at Taky's video, he provides a good example of how it works.
So, I presume, that this condensor lens is part of the Comer 1800 light then.

Stelios
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Barry, do you have any video comparing the Comer 1800 and the Litepanels MicroPro? I'd be curious to see the difference, especially since the MicroPro is about $70 more expensive.
I don't have a video comparing them directly - at the time I shot my first comparison I compared the Sony HVL-LBP and the MicroPro - it (the MicroPro) really didn't put out much more light and, using the condenser lens on the Sony, it was much less bright + the beam field with the MicroPro was much narrower than the Sony. I then sent the MicroPro back and bought the Comer 1800 and compared it to the Sony light under the exact same conditions as the previous test and there was no comparison - at least 2-3 times the light output of the Sony. I then sent the Sony back for resale with BHphotovideo and bought a second Comer!
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #39
Inner Circle

That is a pretty good breakdown, thanks for sharing Barry.
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #40
New Boot

[QUOTE=Stelios Christofides;1167180]
Quote:

So, I presume, that this condensor lens is part of the Comer 1800 light then.

Stelios
Yes, the condensor lens is attached to the bottom of the light and flips up when you want to apply it (see images on page 2). It has small magnifiers for each of the 10 LEDs that turn them into a strong spotlight.

On a side note, my recent battery test has this light running 188 minutes at full power on a Sony NPF-970! Thats 48 minutes longer than the Comer brochure states that the light would run.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photon-ma...tery-test.html
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #41
Major Player

I’m not used to posting any pictures so hopefully this helps. I haven’t had time to really mess with the Comer 1800 Light but on initial try out, it clearly is superior to the other 2 lights. I shot at aperture 3.4, shutter 60, manual WB. I shot at 5 feet and 10 feet. Giving the Sony 10/20 the benefit of the doubt, it was turned sideways. I’m so busy right now but hopefully this is enough to help anyone interested. I’ll shoot with it this weekend and will give more feedback.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/r...0-20-light.jpg

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/r...wit-5-feet.jpg

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/r...omer-5feet.jpg

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/r...it-10-feet.jpg

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/r...er-10-feet.jpg

The order of quality was Comer 1800, Swit 2010 and Sony 10/20 clearly last.
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #42
Inner Circle

The Comer is the clear champ, quite a light.

Thank you Rob, nice work.
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #43
Major Player

Thanks Jeff, I hope it helps. One of the things I didn't mention was that the room was completely dark. Also, all the lights were at full intensity. The Comer 1800 was actually too bright at 5', even with the filter, but I didn't want to change the aperture on the camera or dim the light in order the keep everything the same. From what I've seen so far, this is going to be an awesome light.
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #44
Regular Crew

I dont feel bad about the Sony 10/20w for the money....
Garry Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #45
Inner Circle

For $90 its certainly OK. The Sima SL 20 is somewhat close and costs only $35 and weighs almost nothing, and is self charging. It does have a slight cast to it though. The Comer from what we're seeing in photos and video samples kills the others.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000