What Alternative lenses? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar View Post
I would like to know as well...

I just bought the 17x Fuji- it would be absolutely fabulous if it works with Sony as well. It would make sense since there are a couple of lenses already out there for the JVC. As Zach already mentioned- I hope the servo/power options all work as opposed to just a lens that fits.
I've tried a X17 and that worked.
But don't forget that the Z7 is not shoulder mounted and that the steadyshot can save shots in many cases.
Arnaud Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Wilkinson View Post
Has anyone tried the Fuji W/A lens for 1/3 inch chip cameras its the only "proper" W/A lens I can find on the net but is nearly as expensive as the camera.
The Fujinon 13x3.5 works very well on the Z7 (and I'm sure would be the lens of choice on the Z270.) The lens just plugs into the lens port on the side of the camera and you are ready to go.
I found that I had to release the mic cable to give me some more room for my fingers on the zoom rocker. Also, it would seem impractical to attempt to use this lens in a shoulder mount configuration without some sort of 3rd party support. The LCD flip out doesn't really work as an EVF replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
What Alternative lenses?-z7-tests-3.jpg  
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #18
New Boot

[QUOTE=Tim Dashwood;880220]I'll write up a full review for dvinfo soon.

and a downconverted signal to the composite out simultaneously (which meant I couldn't use the small NTSC camera mount monitor I had) and very disappointing mpeg2 compression on fast movement (a candied-glass vase breaking over someone's head.)

Hi Tim, so have I got this right with the above, that you can not connect an external monitor to this camera or are there other ways to do this?

regards

Francis
Francis Chee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Chee View Post
Hi Tim, so have I got this right with the above, that you can not connect an external monitor to this camera or are there other ways to do this?
You can connect any external monitor you want. The camera can output a signal from composite, component or HDMI connectors.
My complaint was that the camera cannot output a HD signal to the HDMI connector while simultaneously outputting a downconverted NTSC signal to the analog connectors. The analog out turns off the moment you plug in the HDMI cable.
This means that the monitors must either be all HD or all SD and loop through each other from a single output (or you could do both HD and SD with a 3rd party downconverter.)

BTW, I've attached a better angle on the Fujinon 13x3.5BRMU zoom lens.
Attached Thumbnails
What Alternative lenses?-z7_fujinon13x.jpg  
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I can see the problem using the Fuji lens with the Z7 as most of the weight will be forward. I have the 270 and it is well balanced with the standard lens but maybe putting on the larger Fuji would upset that as more weight would be forward. Does the Fuji wide angle lens produce better picture quality than the standard Zeiss lens?
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #21
Regular Crew

adapter for canon 2/3 lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Coming soon...just need releases from the producers.
Anyone had experience with using 2/3 SD lenses on a Z7 or 270.

What adapter is needed to mount canon 2/3 lenses on these cameras?

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Peiductions

PS just took delivery on a new 270
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
I can see the problem using the Fuji lens with the Z7 as most of the weight will be forward. I have the 270 and it is well balanced with the standard lens but maybe putting on the larger Fuji would upset that as more weight would be forward. Does the Fuji wide angle lens produce better picture quality than the standard Zeiss lens?
Hi Barry and a quick question, does the S270 have a genlock input? I have seen some places that it has but there is no reference to it on any of the sony sheets.
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I will have a look and report back. I am just in the middle of installing Vista after ahard drive breakdown.
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Has anybody tried any fish eye type lenses with the Z7. I'm interested in getting those styles of shots but not sure where to start.
Kevin Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
I will have a look and report back. I am just in the middle of installing Vista after ahard drive breakdown.
If you have to re-install anyway, take XP Pro. Vista is a pain in the ...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Martin View Post
What adapter is needed to mount canon 2/3 lenses on these cameras?
ACM-17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Li View Post
Has anybody tried any fish eye type lenses with the Z7. I'm interested in getting those styles of shots but not sure where to start.
I have used a 3.5mm PL lens with the HZ-CA13U PL adapter with almost 170 degrees angle of view. It is great for a peephole effect (of course the lights and crew in my example will get matted out.)
Attached Thumbnails
What Alternative lenses?-z7_3-5mm.jpg   What Alternative lenses?-z7_3-5mm-grab.jpg  

Old June 27th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
ACM-17.

I have used a 3.5mm PL lens with the HZ-CA13U PL adapter with almost 170 degrees angle of view. It is great for a peephole effect (of course the lights and crew in my example will get matted out.)
does the black circles from the corners show up on the tv much?
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #28
Inner Circle

You mean the vignetting Kevin? Pretty much all of it on modern flat-panel TVs as they show no overscanning at all from DVD through HDMI.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
You mean the vignetting Kevin? Pretty much all of it on modern flat-panel TVs as they show no overscanning at all from DVD through HDMI.

tom.
vignetting... I knew there was a word for it.. .

tnx
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Paterson View Post
The Sony VCL-308BWH 24mm-192mm (35mm equivalent) f1.6 - 2.4 is due in June
Here is a picture and some information is in Japanese (euh, I guess) from the VCL-308BWS wide angle lens.

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/business/...&KM=VCL-308BWS
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270