VX2000 -- various topics - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 5th, 2002, 12:17 PM   #256
Major Player

This is what I did. I set up a tripod and the camera, plugged the camera into a monitor. Pointed the camera at a window box with red flowers and green leaves. Played with the CP controls until I had an image on the monitor that corresponded to what my eye saw. I adjusted color and sharpness primarily.

Not at all scientific, probably better way sto do it, but it worked for me.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 04:05 PM   #257
Regular Crew

Oh ok, that could be a good idea. Did you end up with the sharpness and color almost at the bottom of the scale?
Ive heard that brings a kinda soft good edge on the picture and is the most realistic image compared ti what we see. Im not 100& sure about this, that what im asking you people:)
I like a colorfull picture, but in the sense of realistic.
Marius Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 04:36 PM   #258
Major Player

What I like about the CP on Sony cameras is that you can tweak them to your own personal tastes, which is why I get so annoyed when folks say "Sony colors are flat. Canon colors are richer." "Well then adjust your damn settings, fool". I don't usually say that, just think it.

Personally I have the color boosted and the sharpness tweaked just slightly higher. I know a lot of folks who tweak sharpness lower. To each his own.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 04:45 PM   #259
Major Player

Besides checking all the basic possibilities, I would check Zoom tracking ( focus changes between zoom extremes), possible vignetting when zoomed out with open aperture and moving the camera with OIS activated, focus hunting (in auto) in low light situations, dot defects on the LCD viewfinder(s) and hot pixels (most visible with lens covered at and long (1/6) shutter setting and medium gain-up.) On the audio part I would check for motor noises (zoom, focus, tape mechanism) recorded in auto mode in a quite environment. I would also verify if an (SP and even LP) tape from another (good) camcorder or VCR plays back (in both directions) without pixelisation If you find "strange" things try to compare to another VX2000.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 07:43 PM   #260
Regular Crew

Thanks for Suggestions

Mike, Bryan and Andre; thank you for suggestions and this weekend I'll be trying them out.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 01:46 PM   #261
Regular Crew

VX2000 Settings: Help/Advice

Just bought new VX2000, have limited time to return if I want to, day job does not give me much time for experimenting with camera so turning to forum once again for help/advice. Have read and re-read manual (but admit I may have overlooked an answer); camera store expert out for a few days; and no help from Sony Consumer tech service keyboard clickers-- on one issue did call the PD150 boys and they are great, but not fair to bother them--and when I try to escalate at Sony consumer get disconnected (accidentally I think).

(1) Is there a way to display exposure and shutter speed settings in LCD/VF when shooting in full auto mode (would be nice to know what shutter speed and aperture camera is using)?

(2) Annoying when experimenting with various settings that VX2000 shuts down after 5 minutes-- in real shooting situation this seems like it would also be annoying. Does camera at least save settings if you "reboot" right away--seems to in my limited experimenting?? If you are doing a lot of adjusting in studio and so forth, the PD 150 boys suggest taking tape out and they say camera does not shut down then. If situation does not make this practical, any other suggestions to avoid shutdown??

(3) what is best way to manually adjust both shutter speed and aperture --- I saw a post on this once but can not find it in search-- right now I push Shutter Speed button, set shutter, then push "exposure" button and adjust aperture, but if I want to go back and tweak shutter speed have to push "exposure" button (which makes exposure "automatic" again) go back and set shutter speed to new setting and repeat. Also tried setting Auto Shutter to OFF in menu but didn't seem any different than just pushing Shutter Speed Button.

(4) This might be some problem with my VX2000 which I will take back to store if nothing obvious. Manual (p54) says AE shift settings (if moved from center setting) from custom preset will be displayed in LCD or Viewfinder, but I can't get my VX2000 to do that-- CP icon shows up fine and settings are applied (set some far out ranges to test), but no AE shift settings show up in LCD or VF in any of the camera modes. Any thoughts??

(5) Are adjustments made in custom preset applied to all the different Program AE settings ( i.e. Aperture priority, Shutter priority, etc. ) and also to Full Auto when CP is selected. Will save me time trying if anyone knows from experience.

(6) Does Index Mark ( p62) require a memory cassette?? Manual seems to imply it does not, but also seems to say it takes 7 seconds after you push Index button before tape is marked??

Appreciate any help/advice. Other than above I think I have tried and understand most things about camera in limited time I have had to experiment --have not yet bothered with memory stick and still photos and haven't really evaluated/tested for the dreaded "hiss" in audio. Other than having some difficulty trying to hold camera like I do with much smaller/lighter TRV 9 (right hand goes numb from holding just by putting hand between strap by cassette door and camera body-- may try using padded bicycle glove with open fingers to cure that) camera and I are getting along well.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2002, 05:34 PM   #262
Tony Wakefield

XL1 Frame Movie Mode on VX2000?

Does anyone know if it is possible to emulate Canon's XL1s Frame Movie Mode on a VX2000?
Old December 11th, 2002, 06:27 PM   #263
Wrangler

If by that, you mean the 30 fps sequential scan, no, it will not do that.
Old December 11th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #264
Tony Wakefield

Thanks for the reply, Mike. Yes, that's what I meant. Any suggestions for using the VX2000's settings to aproximate a "film look?" I read this month's article on DV Magazine about the subject, but I'd like to find something more specific to the VX2000.
Old December 12th, 2002, 05:11 AM   #265
Major Player

30 fps sequential scan

Mike, would I be right to assume that the VX2000's 15 fps progressive scan option is directed at multimedia/web end use? I have the camera, have never used the option, and can't think what else it would be useful for.
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2002, 03:53 PM   #266
Wrangler

I think that is what is good for. I haven't tried it for landscapes but that might be one reasonable use for it.
Old January 11th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #267
New Boot

location sound setup for VX2000

Hello All,

I am building toolset for my VX2000e and need help for audio (location sound
recording) tools.I am a beginner at audio and may ask stupid questions :-)

Mine is a low-budget (under $1000) setup and based on my research, I have
shortlisted following:
- 2 mics
- wireless receiver/trasmitter for mics
- XLR cables
- mixer 2-4 input
- XLR-2-ministereo converter (cable or adapter)
- recorder (MiniDisc / DAT)

My questions are :

- I would like to use same mics in both wired and wireless setup. Which mics
should I buy?
- what additional accessories (apart from wireless receiver/transmitter) I
need to achive this dual setup ?
- What is a better XLR-2-ministereo option: Just a XLR-DV cable or adapter
like Beachtek DXA-4 ?
- If I have XLR adapter with phantom power (e.g. Beachtek DXA-4), do I still
need K6 module for Sennheiser ME66 mic ?
- If I have K6 module, can I just use the XLR-DV cable to connect the mic
directly to DV camcorder ?
- Any suggestions for 2-4 channel mixer which is battery powered (+ optional
AC power) ?

Many thanks in advance

regards,
-Darshan
Darshan Maharana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 04:21 PM   #268
Wrangler

Re: location sound setup for VX2000

<<<-- Originally posted by Darshan Maharana : Hello All,

The problem Darshan is that you have not said what type of location and what exactly it is you wish to record.

My response here will be based on an assumption that you are not going to be in a studio but may be in a home or outside. My replies are also colored by my U.S. residence and all that means.

I am building toolset for my VX2000e and need help for audio (location sound
recording) tools.I am a beginner at audio and may ask stupid questions :-)

In the US, you would be just a little bit short in money for what you want. but here goes:

Mine is a low-budget (under $1000) setup and based on my research, I have
shortlisted following:
- 2 mics
- wireless receiver/trasmitter for mics
- XLR cables
- mixer 2-4 input
- XLR-2-ministereo converter (cable or adapter)
- recorder (MiniDisc / DAT)

My questions are :

- I would like to use same mics in both wired and wireless setup. Which mics
should I buy?

Wireless microphones are very frequently lavs. The lavs need phantom power and have, sometimes, different connectors than that used for direct connection to a camera or XLR adapter.

In all cases, I can tell you that wireless microphones do not have XLR connectors on them. So you are stuck with the microphone that comes with the wireless system. That may be OK.

I will give you the brand and model numbers of the products I use here in the US. Equivalents are probably available wherever you are.

- what additional accessories (apart from wireless receiver/transmitter) I
need to achive this dual setup ?

Sennheiser Evolution 100 setup with backpack transmitter and ME2 lav microphone and backpack receiver. This unit is good enough that you can always use it when you need a lav.

- What a better XLR-2-ministereo option: Just a XLR-DV cable or adapter
like Beachtek DXA-4 ?

I like the adapter that was originally sold by Studio 1 and is now sold directly by its manufacturer. It had much fewer reported problems and is a universal adapter which the Beachtek appears not to be (at least they offer differrent adapters for different cameras) It is now sold by Sign Video http://www.signvideo.com/xlr-pro_xlr_adapter-audio-mixer.htm

- If I have XLR adapter with phantom power (e.g. Beachtek DXA-4), do I still
need K6 module for Sennheiser ME66 mic ?

Yes you do.

- If I have K6 module, can I just use the XLR-DV cable to connect the mic
directly to DV camcorder ?

Not a great idea because the camera puts out some dc voltage which may cause problems with the microphone. Run it through the XLR adapter.

- Any suggestions for 2-4 channel mixer which is battery powered (+ optional
AC power) ?

There really are no mixers in your price range new. A Shure 256 would be a good solution and they are around $150 on ebay but they are monaural. A portable stereo mixer that is active as opposed to passive, is fairly expensive. Around $500 even used.

The Sign Video XLR adapter is a passive input device and does not mix left & right channels. I think there is a new adapter that will allow you to pan the sound if you wish but I don't remember the manufacturer.

What you are missing from your kit list is a microphone mount, a boom pole for the shotgun so you can get the mic close and a windshield for the microphone.

The shock mount can cost you as little as $50 for a Shure.

Boom Poles run from about $150 to the sky is the limit. A $150 unit will be a bit short and heavy but workable.

The windshield can cost as little as $150 for a good one from Light Wave Systems that just covers the active bits of the Sennheiser. I use them in 40 mph winds with no problems.

To pay for all of this, I'd suggest you reconsider the shotgun microphone and get an AT835B which will cost about $150 less and the savings will allow you to pay for the boom pole or the wind shield.

Were I you, I'd add a Shure SM58 ($99) dynamic omni microphone for voice work. Tough as nails. You see them all the time on stage for singers.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If you haven't purchased the camera yet, I'd recommend you opt for the PD150 and get rid of the hassle of the XLR adapter, lack of Phantom Power and the inability to individually adjust audio levels. It does cost more but I think it is more reliable from an audio standpoint in terms of bringing home acceptable sound with the least amount of work. But that is just my opinion.

And don't forget you will need a couple of good XLR cables. Don't buy the $10 guitar showcase specials. And you will waste money if you pay the outrageous prices asked by Monster Cables.
Old January 11th, 2003, 05:00 PM   #269
New Boot

Many thanks Mike for the prompt reply!

>My response here will be based on an assumption that you are not going
>to be in a studio but may be in a home or outside.

your are correct. I am looking for home/outside (non-studio) locations.
My objective is to own low-budget location sound tools for learning and
for low budget projects and rent high-end/specialized gear when needed.

>What you are missing from your kit list is a microphone mount, a boom
>pole for the shotgun so you can get the mic close and a windshield for
>the microphone.

Yes. I will add these to my list.

> If you haven't purchased the camera yet, I'd recommend you opt
> for the PD150 and get rid of the hassle of the XLR adapter, lack of Phantom
> Power and the inability to individually adjust audio levels.

I recently bought Vx2000e after seeling my 3-year old TRV900 on ebay :-)
Again, VX2000e was a natural choice for my budget.

-Darshan
Darshan Maharana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #270
New Boot

I just found this new series of BEHRINGER
mixers which are very resonably priced:

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/ub_index.cfm?id=UBSERIES&lang=eng

I am thinking of getting their EURORACK UB 1204-PRO which is 4-XLR + 8-Line
mixer available for $140 at musiciansfriend.com.

Any opinions ?
Darshan Maharana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion