VX2000 -- various topics - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 30th, 2002, 11:38 AM   #181
Dartagnan69

I tried the record DV on the camera also.... does nothing....
Old September 22nd, 2002, 11:38 AM   #182
prooption

Some Vx2000 questions

Hello im new here and im sorry if someone has already asked this question

Ok well im planning to get a vx in about a week or so, however i do not know much about sound setup i do know stock mic kinda sucks. This guy i know suggested to get this set up:
BeachTek DXA-4 XLR Quiet Connection Unit
AZDEN 400UDR Wireless Diversity Professional Receiver
AZDEN 41XT UHF Professional Transmitter
AZDEN SGM-1X Telescopic Microphone with sound isolation mount

If i should listen to this guy and stay with this set up where can i find these parts for cheap?

Any suggestions on brands and types of monopods, carrying case, tripod?

Thank you
Old September 22nd, 2002, 12:00 PM   #183
Wrangler

Hey, welcome to the forum.

You are correct in assuming that your questions are frequently asked. And they are vague as you do not state what exactly you wish to accomplish with your system. So while I applaud your choice of camera, the audio question cannot yet be answered.

Rather than reiterate the stock answers, why don't you use the Search function both on this forum (317 posts on the VX-2000) and, say, Google? And read and search the rec.video.desktop and rec.video.production newsgroups. DejaVu should be able to help you with those searches.

Then, if you have pointed questions, we will be able to better help you.
Old September 22nd, 2002, 12:16 PM   #184
Major Player

if you are planning on a beachtek box you may wanna look into
the XLR-pro by sign video (www.signvideo.com) only $149 for 2 channel $99 for single channel. i believe these were once the studio1productions XLR-Pro box .
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 01:17 AM   #185
prooption

Well i plan to do some art type videos, skate, weddings, and the list goes on... so pretty much all around kind of filming.

Thanks for the reply more replys are welcome!

another question i would like to ask is I have seen vx2000 with a larger rounder rubber eye piece what is this called and where can i find one?
Old September 23rd, 2002, 07:44 AM   #186
Wrangler

While the Azden wireless is good, I would recommend the Sennheiser Evolution 100 series. Excellent mic even though it is not a diversity system. It has never given me one lick of trouble and is very compact.

As for a tripod I would recommend the Libec M-20. Some of the vendors here at the Watchdog sell this unit and it is very hard to beat for the money. I am not usre if it includes a ball leveler, but that is a very useful tool too.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 11:23 AM   #187
Wrangler

For what you want to do, I think you can select a better group of accessories.

To answer the easy one first, the large eyecup comes with the camera. It is much larger but it is not round. It is designed for use in bright environments.

There are several after-market eyecups that you can purchase that have soft covers. Hoodman comes to mind.

The list you presented will work. And if you are just starting out and don't have a lot of money, the equipment may be good enough.

All of the advice you've received so far is good. Only you can determine your budget.

As far as the XLR adapter goes, if the Azden shotgun is an XLR out microphone, you probably do not really need an $100 XLR adapter. It is very likely that a $20 cable from Radio Shack will do just as well. You need an XLR female to 3.5mm male (stereo is preferred) adapter cable. Or you can solder one together yourself. Or you can make an XLR adapter like the Beachtek for about $30 in parts from Radio Shack.
Old September 27th, 2002, 01:42 PM   #188
Regular Crew

External charger for VX2000

Is anyone using an external battery charger for your VX2K? If so, what brand? I think it's really lousy that on a camcorder in this price range that the charger is built into the camera.
Old September 27th, 2002, 01:56 PM   #189
Contributor

The external charger for my PD150 is called a TRV900.
:P

-Dan
Dan Ballmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2002, 02:13 PM   #190
Regular Crew

Well....thanks, but I really wasn't planning to get a 950! I was also hoping for something a little cheaper. Anyone else?
Old September 27th, 2002, 04:03 PM   #191
Wrangler

Yes, I have five other chargers:

One that came with my CCD3300 Hi-8 camera. Works OK. Does not require a camera.

Another, the AC-V900 comes with the 3-battery setup for the DSR-200/200A and charges 3 batteries at a time. I actually have 2 of these

A Sony AC-VQ850 which is the latest DC/AC-powered charger from Sony. It will charge both sizes of Sony LiOn batteries. I think I paid about $75 at B&H. I like this one because it indicates time to charge and estimates on-camera battery life after completion of a charge.

A no-name charger that Chris Hurd sent me for review. It is said to handle LiOns from many manufacturers. It is a dual-head, AC/DC powered. Unlike the Sony chargers, it will handle some of the 3rd party batteries that are a bit, shall we say, strange?
Old September 27th, 2002, 04:58 PM   #192
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. I'll check them out. The one from Sony sounds ideal.
Old September 27th, 2002, 09:30 PM   #193
bslanger

Turn around time for repair on VX2000?

I am having a hell of a time with audio mayhem on a VX2000, and am considering sending it to Sony, anyone have experience with turn around time, and cost, for this? My local guy is ok, but not great, very hit or miss.
Thanks!
Brian
www.brianslanger.com
Old September 27th, 2002, 10:59 PM   #194
Wrangler

Sony will probably charge somewhere around $300 or so flat rate. I don't know about their turnaround time. You can contact sony via their web site and worm your way down to the service contacts. There is an 800 number through which you can talk to the tech advisors.
Old September 28th, 2002, 12:15 PM   #195
Major Player

I use the Sony ACVQ850, which charges both the L and the M series batteries. Like Mike said, it shows battery life, how much time left for charge etc...its a great little charger and I highly recommend it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion