Jerky Zoom - Sony's reply: That is normal - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 29th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #46
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Klein View Post
I donīt understand why this issue is not big issue here in the forum.

For my cam i got a final answer from Sony "That is normal, no replacement". From my Dealer: Sorry we can not do anything.

Here is my last example for the jerky zoom. I used the main zoom handle.

I donīt think that this can be normal. But what can i do ? Buy a new one and hope it will be better

Yesterday i had my fingers on one EX1r and what happend, jep this one had the jerky zoom too. Not as bad as mine, but i can reproduce it with the main handle when i do slow zooms. So i believe that is really normal and you need a little bit luck if you buy a EX camera.

Sad story.
-Hanno
Hanno, I'm curious, if you would have used the fixed zoom on the top of the handle, would you have experienced the multiple jerks during the length of your zoom?
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:35 AM   #47
Trustee

Anyone else care to chime in with similar experience?
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:44 AM   #48
Major Player

There are certainly issues there. Having been using my Z1 the other week I was struck by how much easier it was to slowly ramp zooms on that camera compared to the EX1. Frequently a shot can be ruined by the fact that you are slowly decreasing your zoom speed only for it to come to a sudden halt or slightly judder.

You can work around it, and the top zoom switch gives you smooth zooming, but not with a variable speed.

One thing I have noticed is the problem is far more pronounced in 25p compared to 50i (have never shot 50p).

I'm convinced it is some kind of electrical issue though as others have reported that the problem can be solved with a zoom remote.
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM   #49
Trustee

Thanks! :)

Has anyone noticed that it's worst when you've just finished zooming out and want to slowly zoom back in again? My zoom is at it's worst when it has to switch directions.
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
I'm convinced it is some kind of electrical issue though as others have reported that the problem can be solved with a zoom remote.
I wish I could share your optimism. I have a Bebob Zoe-EX, and an EX1 to compare with. The EX1 was faultless in gentle zooms. The EX1-R has been stuttery, with and without the remote, though I do better with the remote. I've got tests using the top zoom rocker which also display stuttering. But all subtlety is lost if doing a gentle creep zoom that ends up like Morse Code in motion.

I felt it was more of a lubrication thing. Stiction, if you will.
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM   #51
Trustee

So Matt, the zoom stutters even when using the hand-grip zoom?
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM   #52
Trustee

Mine does. Yes.

Quite happy to be told that I'm ham-fisted and it's my inability to operate a zoom control, but whilst I can (if you can excuse the term) squeeze off a creep on the EX1R, it's a bit of a gamble on the EX1R.

To the extent that I'm thinking of nominating the EX1 as the main camera for talking head shoots until I can get the EX1R 'seen to'. If that is ever a possibility.
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
I wish I could share your optimism. I have a Bebob Zoe-EX, and an EX1 to compare with. The EX1 was faultless in gentle zooms. The EX1-R has been stuttery, with and without the remote, though I do better with the remote. I've got tests using the top zoom rocker which also display stuttering. But all subtlety is lost if doing a gentle creep zoom that ends up like Morse Code in motion.

I felt it was more of a lubrication thing. Stiction, if you will.
There were reports on here before Christmas of users trying out one of the remotes and finding that it seemed to solve the issue. I've not so I can only report what was on here.

That said, the zoom on the top of the unit will do creeping zooms all day long without stuttering and very low speeds. It's the rocker that has the issue. But obviously the top control has a number of limitations including the fact it cannot vary speed.

If it was sticking I would have expected the very slow zooms from the top button to also give problems.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:24 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
Having been using my Z1 the other week I was struck by how much easier it was to slowly ramp zooms on that camera compared to the EX1.
As a present owner of a Z1 and an EX3, I would agree 100% with your statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
There were reports on here before Christmas of users trying out one of the remotes and finding that it seemed to solve the issue. I've not so I can only report what was on here.
Marcus, this is the thread you want...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ex3-promo.html

... I have the Libec remote and it does, for all intent and purpose, solve the problem. Really.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #55
New Boot

Hi all,

i just want to confirm that i reduce the "jerky zoom" with the Libec Controller.

My first one was an Bebob Zoe. Extrem Jerky Zoom. Bebob said: That is Sony fault

My second one was a Manfrotto. Extrem Jerky Zoom.

My third now is the Libec: And finally. Zoom is OK now. Not perfect but ok.
Hanno Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #56
Major Player

I can't speak for the EX1, but the Varizoom Pro EX I have on my EX3 is butter smooth, and I can dial in any speed I want.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543232-REG/VariZoom_VZ_PRO_EX_VZ_Pro_EX_Comfort_Grip_Zoom_Controller.html
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #57
Major Player

It depends on the lens you get. I went through 3 fuji w/a lenses before finding one that would work with the manfrotto, meantime the libec worked fine with all 3 of the fuji lenses. so if you are lucky enough to get one of the finer tuned fuji lenses, then any controller will work. good luck playing that guessing game
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Man, this is NOT what I want to read as I prepare to fork over $7,500 of my hard-earned money! Any other issues I need to be aware of? And should I be considering some other brand? Thanks in advance for your input.
Charles Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #59
Major Player

Any later updates to the "jerky zoom" mess?

We just got a new EX1R down for a shoot in Brazil and it's jerky as all get out!

Blast Sony anyway! That burns us bigtime and we will not be burned twice! If Sony does not make right on this, we're done with them. Lots of other nice competition these days...do you hear SONY?

So any new light on this since March?
Old November 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #60
Inner Circle

Here's some ammo.

I have a 2 month old EX1R. I recorded 4 techniques for doing the slowest possible zoom on it. Only the first two (handle and lens controller techniques) result in reliable constant slow zooms. Note that the lens controller is able to eek out a slightly slower zoom than the handle's minimum.

The second two techniques use the rotating handgrip's rocker which illustrates the well known stuttering problem. I think this is because the handgrip is able to attempt a zoom speed below the lens's rated minimum speed. This results in a stutter and uneven zoom. Personally, I never do slow handheld zooms while recording and I'll take the exclusive rotating handgrip and low-light performance of the EX1R over the competition any day. But it would be nice if there was a fix to the handgrip controller as the lens seems to be able to perform a single speed zoom albeit not as slow as some others. <insert standard disclaimer about each camera having plusses and minuses>.

Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds