Various XDCAM EX posts from 2008 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 27th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #136
New Boot

2 Sony XDCAM EX1 to make a 3D video

hi all,

i use 2 EX1 in my most recent work 3D in stereoscopy.

the end result is very good in 3D.

more info: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/3d-stereo...-portugal.html

I need opinions,

thanks, Marco Neiva.
Marco Neiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #137
Major Player

v1.11 Firmware - 'Push AF' Behaviour

Hi

Could someone with v1.11 firmware check whether the 'Push AF' button now focuses only when pressed (like the Z1 and many others) or whether it still auto-focuses until the camera decides to stop?

Cheers, Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #138
Trustee

backing up SXS to U1

Has anyone done this yet, if so could you explain how it is done.

Am not very PC literate and it is confusing me!!
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:04 PM   #139
Major Player

EX-1 and Red Rock Mattebox and Ewa-Marine Housing

Not all used together, but this week I was shooting a doco on Cape Cod and the director had the new Red Rock Mattebox which we used with my EX-1. We were shooting with stock camera, no adapter. The mattebox itself is quite nice and definitely a bargain for the money (compared with items like the Chrosziel). Solid construction indeed. Its big. We were doing some handheld shooting on a boat and it was heavy. The current configuration does not allow you to close the LCD which is annoying. Apparently Red Rock is making a little extender donut type device to move the mattebox away from the lens and clear the LCD/mic. There are some existing lens hoods that I guess do the trick to. The problem I see with this is that when the lens is fully wide you will have to use larger 4x5.6 inch filters to avoid seeing the side of the filters. We were using 4x4s and even with the mattebox close to the EX-1 lens I had to remove the furthest out filter tray because I was catching some edges of the tray. If using a 35mm adapter I think 4x4s will be no problem, but as a mattebox for just the EX-1 it may pose a few configuration problems. And again, its big, and the swing away is unnecessary for the EX-1 itself. But still quite nice and I will likely get one, but may look for something smaller when I am not using the adapter.

We also shot that week with a new Ewa-Marine splashbag (the VEX1, I think). We were shooting some reenactment pirate scenes with rain machines and it worked very well at protecting the camera. It has a little sleeve for the LCD which is nice, as well as little indented nipples to get to all the controls and buttons. Its a little tight to get in and out, but it seems very secure and dry. Just be careful of letting the thing overheat. We were shooting at night with cold rain, but I would not let it sit in the sun with the camera on or the bag will become a sauna. We also took it for a dive to do one underwater shot. Now I had never done any underwater filming and in fact it was my first open water dive. The bag is rated to 30 feet deep. We went about 15. I was shocked at how much the air compressed out of the bag and it was so vacuum sealed that it made getting to the controls pretty impossible. I think a Gates or similar housing would be much better for serious underwater work, but for much less money it did the trick.

B
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:32 PM   #140
Tourist

mxf to mov

I'm interested in providing 1920x1080p footage from my EX1 to iStockvideo and pond5 etc. for sale as stock clips and I would be most grateful for any light anyone can shed on the following file format issue.

Here is iStockvideo's FAQ on acceptable formats which is pretty typical for the prosumer stock-footage industry as far as I can tell:

Clips must be encoded with MJPG-A/B, PhotoJPEG, DV, or HDV, at BEST setting.
royalty free stock photography community | iStockphoto.com

Using Vegas Pro 8.0b, I have rendered my EX1, 1920x1080p mxf clips to all of the above Quicktime 7 *.MOV formats (including MPEG-4 Video) with predictably shaky results except for HDV. The HDV render at 1280x720p yields the best looking results but obviously it's noticeably down-sampled.

These same original mxf clips playback perfectly from the timeline in Full Preview mode and they look good @ 1920x1080p when rendered as Main Concept AVC/AAC (*.mp4) - not acceptable to iStock.

Bottom Line: How can I satisfy iStock's .MOV format requirements without downrezing my footage? Does Main Concept have a solution for this? I can't find one. Or Sony? Or Apple? Ideally, can I re-wrap a .mxf file in a .mov wrapper (using a PC)? ...
Fraser Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM   #141
Trustee

High Freq Pitch with Senny Wireless ME2

I recorded myself speaking to the Senny ew112e wireless kit with the moni ME2 mic. I was only a meter away. The recording had a high pitch sound before I spoke. Once I started talking it was unnoticable. EX1 was set to auto for the audio. -41db, linked AGC, 1kHz tone on. The mic was set to -20db.

What can be the cause of this high pitch? I removed it with a HPF but my voice became less sharp which I didnt quite like. Is it the 1Khz thingy? If yes, may I understand what is the purpose of the tone?

Thks!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #142
Regular Crew

Paper prints from still frames

Has any one of you tried to make prints in photographic paper from footage of the EX? I've just tried, and the results are amazing!

Of course, the use of progressive footage is almost imperative. I've extracted some frames from the same dance festival I put some clips a week ago (shutter was set to 1/100th of second to get good stills), and tried different sizes of paper.

At 20x25 cm. (8x10 in.), the pixel starts to become visible, without being objectionable (to my taste, and to the taste of most of the customers). And the advantage of choosing the exact frame where the dancers are in a good position and without eyes closed blows up the inconvenience of the "limited" resolution.

And colors are just nice! Only correction I had to do was to adapt the file gamma to that of the laboratory's printer, just a "Levels" correction in Photoshop, setting the central slider to 1.4, and here you go.
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #143
New Boot

1080 60i in a 1080 24p FCP timeline problem

Excuse me if this has been addressed before but my search didn't really seem to find a solution.

Who here has the best solution to convert 1080i60 to play nicely in a 1080 24p FCP timeline?
Simple De-interlacing still has a bit of judder. I tried a conversion in After Effects via Video Co-Pilots preset but still have judder. It is a jib shot but not awfully fast. I've never used Cinema Tools. Is that an option really?
Mark Boardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #144
Regular Crew

EX-30 and 32Gig

Hi,
Any one tried a 32 Gig card with an EX-30?
Thanks

Gérson
Old September 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #145
Obstreperous Rex

JVC Alliance with Sony to Support XDCAM EX

See the news at: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/digital-v...-xdcam-ex.html
-- please use that thread for any replies (thanks in advance).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #146
Regular Crew

ACM-21 adapter

Using my adapter for shoot tomorrow, had to put on CamMate jib today.
Just an FYI, works great. Works with Canon or Fuji lens-adapter port just simulates the port on any bigger camera, under port for zoom control works as well.

Just don't drop it!!!$$$$$
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #147
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Copying clips between cards

I can copy one clip at a time between cards, but is there some way to copy all of the clips from one card to another?
Ross Herewini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #148
Major Player

Counter facility on the EX3

I'm trying to find the "counter" facility on the EX3 but cannot find it - I'm assuming that it is not available.

There is the timecode option or the UB option or the duration option. Usually on shoulder mounted cameras there is also a counter option where one can reset the counter to 00:00:00 at any time (without resetting the timecode).

I've also checked the menu but with no luck. Any help?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #149
Regular Crew

Where'd My SxS Card Capacity Go?

I have two 8 Gb SxS Cards in my EX1.
I always format the cards in camera (rather than delete clips).

Both slots in the EX1 show 28 mins available when the cards are freshly formatted.
(Shooting 1080 25p).

I start recording using card A in Slot A and when it's full, the camera automatically starts recording to slot B but when I download the BPAV files, I find that card A's BPAV is only 4.7 Gb (showing 0 mins available in camera) whereas card B's (from slot B) is over 7 GB.

I have yet to try swapping the cards (use card A in slot B etc) but intend to do that today.

Anyone have a similar experience or knowledge of this problem?
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM   #150
Regular Crew

Another remote control

Manfrotto 521EX - REMOTE CONTROL SONY EX1
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds