Various XDCAM EX posts from 2008 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM   #76
Space Hipster

1/2" lenses for EX3

Coming over from the JVC side...

It's great the EX3 can change lenses, especially in 1/2" size. But I see power to the lenses must come from a "hotshoe" or something. I guess that's those 2 little plates at the base of the lens mount?
The problem I see is most HD 1/2" lenses from Canon or Fujinon use a power cord for juice. As far as I can tell, there's no way to plug it into the EX3. But I think I saw in a EX3 video presentation a lens adapter that appeared to have the power cord plug built in. I would guess it draws power from the hotshoe connectors, then transfers it to the lens via the cord adapter. Does anyone have any info on this?

I don't see the benefit of putting a really nice HD lens on the EX3, only to have the zoom motor not function. Also, since most broadcast lenses have the controls for zooming already on the lens, does the zoom control on the EX3 override this function, or do you have to use the lens' control? Using the lens' control would certainly shift the balance of the camera, as you would be supporting the front weight of the camera directly on the lens, not the camera's grip. Or when you remove the supplied lens, does the camera's rotatable grip come off with it? Are they a one-piece unit?
I understand Fuji will make a dedicated 2/3" lens adapter with a 12-pin connector. I wonder if they'll make one for the 1/2" lenses?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:18 PM   #77

SBAC-US10 USB Reader/Writer - any other/better options

Hey everyone,
I have been looking around for a better solution to the SBAC-US10 USB Reader/Writer. Preferably something that holds more than one SXS card at a a time.

Panasonic has the AJ-PCD20, which holds 5 P2 cards.

Do any of you guys know if something like this is in works for the SXS cards?

I will be using the EX1 for underwater footage so I would like to be able to shoot as much as possible, like 4 cards worth and then sit down and process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Joe Holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #78
Inner Circle

Flicker reduction ?

How does flicker reduction work? Would this function also be useful for shooting under 60 Hz fluorescent lighting?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #79
Inner Circle

Clip Browser (Mac?) bug on why "raw" MP4s aren't working

Clip Browser (Mac) SHOULD allow you to import an MP4 file an create a BPAV folder. It apparently doesn't correctly create the XML and other metadata.

In other words, you SHOULD be able to use the Import feature on Clip Browser on an MP4 (those without a proper BPAV folder for various reasons) and it would create a new BPAV folder. It creates a BPAV folder but doesn't do it correctly (see above) so the XDCAM Transfer Tool does not see the clip in the BPAV folder.

I contacted Sony on this. They discovered this last week so they told me.

There will be a Clip Browser 1.5 that should fix this. When that happens you'll be able to import MP4, create new BPAV folder, rewrap to MOV using the XDCAM Transfer Tool (Mac).

Once they get this working you won't have to worry about what to do if you've wound up with only an MP4 for various reasons.

Not sure if this affects Windows users since Windows Clip Browser can create MXF and now some NLEs can handle MP4 directly.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #80
Regular Crew

50p to 25p/50 without Cinema Tools?

Hey guys.

Is there some plugin that anyone knows of that can make 50p footage to be played back in slow motion on a 25p timeline without conforming the footage? Conforming is such a time-consuming thing..

This is useful for when filming extreme sports in slow motion but still need the audio..

Great if anyone could help.
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #81
Major Player

New EX3 promotional Video from Sony

New EX3 promotional Video from Sony

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-x...ideo0417.shtml
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #82
Major Player

Ex Seminar At Birns This Sat 5/17

If you are in LA,this Saturday, Sony will be here talking about the EX-1 and post production work flow. It's from 9 to about 1pm, food and drinks, free parking here at the ArcLight. You can sign up on the web site www.birnsandsawyer.com or call us at 323-466-8211

Yes, it's FREE

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #83
Tourist

Is there Raylight-type OSX app that creates ref movies from EX1 .mp4 files?

I am about to do my first project with an EX1 and had a question about workflow. When I've worked with the HVX, I always copy the contents of the P2 cards to an external drive and then use Raylight to create reference movies that can be used in FCP. I'd like to do the same sort of thing with the EX1 but was wondering whether this is currently possible. I want to avoid doubling up my footage, i.e. having both the SxS card contents and imported, self-contained Quicktime movies on my hard drive. From what I understand, the XDCAM FCP transfer tool turns the EX1's .mp4 files into self-contained .mov files and does not have the capability to produce reference files like Raylight does with P2 .mxf files. If I'm correct about this, is there an OSX app out there that can generate reference movies from EX1 .mp4 files (and, while I'm on the subject, can, like Raylight, export an edited movie back out to a card)?
Steve Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Red Rock M2 with EX1 ?

I just tried my Red Rock M2 with my Sony EX1. Today, I received the 77->72mm step down ring that mounts the 72mm HD macro lens to the EX1. There is a lot of vignetting, but I assume this is normal. After I acheive backfocus on the unmotored glass, it seems there is about 1/4" space between the rubber hood (which I have not been able to fit over the 72mm lens). Will I need a longer hood or a spacer tube?

Also, the camera seems to line up, but it could be a little off vertically? Is a shim kit needed?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #85
Major Player

removal of Sony WA sunshade

I will very soon need to remove the permanently attached sunshade from my Sony .8x WA adapter. When asked, a Sony factory tech said that people are cutting it off. Has anyone here done this? I used to own an fx shop so I do some thoughts and tools to do it, but haven't yet taken the plunge until the redrock mattebox arrives.
It would be nice if there was a less barbaric method other than cutting.
Thoughts? Thanks, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:14 AM   #86
Regular Crew

Image quality difference HDSDI <-> captured SxS content

Hi there,

I know the HDSDI output is full 10bit 4:2:2 quality, while the SxS card content is HD in 35Mbit long GOP compressed.

Here is my question:
How big is the visual picture quality difference really ?
Considering HQ 1080p25 recording mode of the EX1 can you actually see any difference ?
I find the content coming off from the SxS cards already very good...

Is there anyone who can tell from experience ?

I don't have any grade-1 HDSDI monitoring equipment to test it myself - that's the reason for my question.

Thanks,
Ulli
Ulli Grunow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM   #87
Major Player

Sony QC now on the ball

Famous last words but have just had a new EX1 sent to me for a particular project and it is A1 first class. Firmware 1.05 seemingly no vignette/backfocus issues etc it seems to be a good one straight out of the box. Will now compare with present February model firmware 1.03. Sony can deliver the goods.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM   #88
Major Player

Still July for EX3?

Just curious if anyone in or around the industry has heard the latest.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:56 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Does the EX1 fit the Porter case?

I am trying to find out if the standard Porter Case will carry a stripped down EX1. Ideally I could fit my EX1 and a 17 inch Mac Book Pro but this seems like a tight fit. If any has any knowledge on this please let me know.

Thanks
Dasher
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM   #90
Tourist

Archiving For Avid Symphony

Dear EX1 Users,

Firstly what an amazing camera you have. I'd really love to buy the camera, but I work freelance a lot for a major broadcaster, which edits on AVID Symphony. I work in the field and send them back tapes. They then digitise the footage in at a lower resolution and do 100% resolution conform when everything is edited and signed off.

I just spoke to the guys in the machine room and they felt that they EX1 would be a problem, as conforming from blu-ray or XDCAM optical disks would be a problem, it has to be done visually. He seemed to think that there was no timecode on the disks?? It a real shame, as it would be great to buy this camera, but I need to be able to use it on productions to justify the cost. Any suggestions would be warmly welcome.

All the best.

JJB
John Joe Bardsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds