Various XDCAM EX posts from 2008 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:05 AM   #121
Regular Crew

Sony XDCAM EX NLE Workflow Guides

From FreshDV (if you don't know about this site, you should)
Quote:
For those new to the XDCAM EX workflow, here are a few guides from Sony that will help you get all your non-linear editing ducks in a row. They have PDF workflow guides available for Apple Final Cut Pro, Avid NewsCutter, Thomson Grass Valley EDIUS and Sony Vegas 8.
On to the Sony micro-site
http://tinyurl.com/DVinfo

•Apple Final Cut Pro
•Avid NewsCutter
•Thomson Grass Valley EDIUS
•Sony Vegas 8

Nothing for Premiere Pro. But I bet you could hack something together from the others.
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #122
Major Player

What mics to get for EX1? Shooting backstage footage with 16 people

Hi!

Im going to shoot backstage, travel footage on a tour that features 16 musicians. I have my EX1, only one camera. Im thinking either getting two wireless mics and use the EX1 mic, or maybe one wireless and one shotgun. Does anyone have experience on how to handle this kinda situations? You need to capture the action and jokes as it happens with no time to set-up or mic individuals so maybe a shotgun would be best? And then use wireless for a little more planned situations?

Which mics you would recommend? 500-800 euros would be my budget for the mics.

Thanks!

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #123
Major Player

Review of the EX3 by: BHphoto

Review of the EX3 by: Doug Jensen

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/n...onyPMW-EX3.jsp
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #124
Major Player

lease program/ financing for EX3

Anybody knows about some lease or special financing for EX3 from Sony or retailers???
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM   #125
Inner Circle

Sony PrimeSupport (in EU) for PMW-EX3

Well, I finally found time tonight to sit down and try and register for my prime support for the EX3 on www.sonybiz.net/primesupport. And guess what, the EX3 is not yet listed in the 2nd page of the process where you have to select the model number from a drop down list!

Just posting this so others know to wait a few days for Sony to catch up with the fact that EX3's are now being delivered! :-)
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #126
Major Player

$500 NAB 2008 Rebate Check

Just received the $500 NAB 2008 rebate check today.
send the forms back on 5/27, so about 10 weeks.

to refresh your memory, this was for attendees of the Sony NAB 2008 trade show in las vegas last april 2008.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #127
Major Player

Fireworks, a helicopter and the EX1

The client wants SD PAL 16:9 footage to mix with other footage shot with high end pro SD cameras on the ground for broadcast TV in PAL land.

I must deliver SD PAL 16:9 footage, of the highest quality. I have three cameras: a FX1, a V1P and an EX1. The EX1 is my preferred camera for the shoot but hardly a preference based on much experience.

The subject includes two scenarios both shot from a Hughes 500C rear door removed: the first a daytime sporty shot following a jet boat up a tight river canyon, no more than one hour shooting. The second a series of shots of a fireworks display, yes, at night of course, and over a three hour period at most. (How safe is this, do you think?)

So my questions are: which camera, what settings, and suggestions regarding workflow please most appreciated.

Craig Seeman, if you are here, many thanks, I have viewed your EX1 fireworks footage at Vimeo, very nice, I note your settings, I shall take that as a point-of-departure if shooting with the EX1. Given that this will be shot out of a helicopter and delivered down-converted to SD would you change anything? How about shooting 720p slo-mo 60 frames/second and printing back to tape DV PAL widescreen from Vegas 8, or is that asking for trouble? Yes, I know; the client wants (vanilla) SD 16:9 PAL.

I recently shot footage using this helicopter type and the EX1, normal daylight, lovely day with minimal cloud, 1080 30p, auto everything as other than keeping the camera pointed more-or-less in the right direction I was powerless…and that footage, rendered off in Vegas using the DVDA Pal widescreen template, looks just peachy, the resultant DVD a pleasure to behold on any half-decent neighbourhood TV screen.

Trouble is I can’t even do any test shots as fireworks are heavily regulated here in New Zealand. I’m told it’s illegal, without a special permit, to sell and/or ignite fireworks at any time other than a 3 day period in November, something to do with that English crazy terrorist Mr. Fawkes.

Suggestions most appreciated...
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #128
Inner Circle

Safety Zone

I've noticed on the EX1 (and I suppose other cameras) that there is a "safety zone" frame that is available.

Now this may seem a rather rudimentary question, but exactly is it there for? I could understand if you were using it near 95% or so to simulate what might be lost behind the bezel of a television, but with settings down to 80% on the EX1, why is it there?

I wish it would go to 67% so that I could have a 1280x720 guide frame, but this is not an option.

Thoughts?
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #129
Trustee

EX1's Standard Definition SDI output - any good?

I have been asked to bring my EX1 along to a vision mixed multi-camera shoot but don't want want to disappoint too much. Quite frankly, it's a sort of Z1/MX50 level gig rather than a full-on OB but somebody has an SDI vision mixer with the equivalent of TBCs, and two of us have EX1s.

Anyone tried this combo? Does the better glass and wider latitude win over the slightly crunchy image? Or should I dust off the Z1s?

Or should I be recommending SD Analogue component? Have to be careful that we can get a VM that takes Component and TBC's it as we can't do genlock.
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #130
Regular Crew

rebate 8 gb card for ex3

Hi

Just ordered an EX3 from a NY Dvinfo sponsor and was told there will be an 8gb card offered by sony via the sony website on Aug 15th!

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #131
Regular Crew

EX1 Shutter speed question

I'm shooting this afternoon for the first time in SP mode - 1440 x 1080 50i, to match up with two other HDV cameras.

I notice that I don't have the option of 1/50 shutter speed, but 1/60.

I've had a test shoot and it looks ok, but I was surprised I couldn't select 1/50.

Anyone know why?

Cheers.

EDIT - I've had a search and read, and it seems switching shutter off will give me 1/50, same as frame rate.

Last edited by Peter Wright; August 16th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:46 AM   #132
Major Player

Sony XDCAM Viewer PDZ-Vx10 version 2.11

Sony XDCAM Viewer PDZ-Vx10 version 2.11

I give this player to my clients so they can view the raw mxf files it also as four channels of audio.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/son...l-PDZVX10.aspx
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:53 AM   #133
Regular Crew

Playing EX1 footage on HP2133

Just thought I would let people know that I can play EX1 mxf footage on my HP 2133 (mini-note) using VLC Player. It is not quite 100%, but I would say it ranks about 98% or 99% as it has very few hiccups.

I had also tried the Sony XDCAM Viewer, and it was horrible, maybe 40% (or less).

I should also add that I have the 1.2GHz version of the 2133, so I would guess the 1.6GHz version should be able to play 100%. I am also running Windows XP Pro SP3.

Hope this is of use/interest to someone.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #134
Major Player

EX1 and Sony RGB monitor

I have an older Sony SD monitor that accepts RGB plus sync in. I would like to use the monitor with the EX1 and RGB in. There was an old trick that if you fed the composite out of the camera into the sync in and then the rgb's into the appropriate inputs all would work. in the EX1 's case the composite out gets diabled when RGB out is selected (thanks sony) any thoughts?
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #135
Trustee

PMW-EX3 Camera Tour Video

PMW-EX3 Camera Tour on Vimeo

This guy took delivery of his EX3 n did a first hand intro for EX3 prospective owners. Chk it out. It isn't on HD as I understand due to a bandwidth problem.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds