Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #16
Trustee

I had a bit of rubber sleeve,i can't remember if it came with the mic or the softie kit.

It's like the peices of rubber that you get with cycle lights so that when you put the light round different size seat posts you can get the clamp to fit.
Do you know what i mean ?

Paul
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #17
Major Player

I know exactly what you mean.
Thanks again Paul :)
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #18
Trustee

thks 4 the headsup Paul. Looks like its quite impt to get the shockmnt!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #19
Trustee

We've been using the Rode SM5 with our Z1s. Because of the weight we've had two mic holders break. The situation with the EX1 is much worse, so far one of our two EX1s mic holders have broken. All it took was the slightest brush of the mic and snap. Unlike the mic holder on the Z1 which cracks through the clamp with the EX1 the holder will break away from the camera's audio pod. There's the potential for the mic getting damaged in the process.

I've just bought an unneeded Sanken CS-1 and will mount that in a K-Tek shock mount. I'll remove the Sony supplied mic mount and replace it with a simple aluminium plate with a cold shoe fitted to that. This will make it very easy to fit and remove the mic and mount when the camera goes into its case.

If you have the Rode SM5 you can remove the shock mount from the aluminium tube and again make a simple aluminium plate with 4 holes to replace the existing mic holder and then mount the mic and shock mount into the same screw holes as the original mic holder. I did post a photo of this setup here some time ago:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...8&d=1199343627
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #20
Major Player

I just ordered the SM5 and will follow Bob's design for my Sanken CS-3e. That should work great and make for a much stronger system. While my cam was at Sony getting firmware updated and backfocus repaired they said they could replace my broken mic mount for 80 bucks. That seemed silly since I figured it'd break again, so I spent less on the Rode mount which will be much stronger.

B
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #21
Trustee

Thanks Bob,i'll look into that.

Paul.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #22
Major Player

Very nice work Bob!

So my question is:

Where can I get the aluminum plate that you use?
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #23
New Boot

mkh60

we use this lightwave cradle on our camera
Attached Thumbnails
Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-img_0999-small.jpg   Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-img_1000-small.jpg  

Brian Rigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #24
Major Player

PD150 to the rescue!

The mic mount from my old battle scared Sony PD150 fits perfectly with even the srew holes in the same place.

The PD150's mount is a much better/ stronger design.

Just need to pick up some longer screws as the 150's are too wide and the EX1's are too short.

Bang!

Last edited by Jonathan Bland; May 18th, 2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland View Post
The mic mount from my old battle scared PD150 fits perfectly with even the srew holes in the same place.

The PD150's mount is a much better/ stronger design.
Looks great. Is that a custom plate? If not, where did you get it?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland View Post
Very nice work Bob!

So my question is:

Where can I get the aluminum plate that you use?
I just cutoff a short length of 40mm x 3mm aluminium bar I had on hand, drilled 4 holes, rounded off the corners with a file and painted it with matte black engine enamel. I could have had it black anodised but my anodiser has a minimum $50 charge.
You don't have to use aluminium. You could probably use a small piece of many different materials such as 2mm perspex or fibreglass that'd do just as well. Actually something slightly flexible could be better so if the thing does get a belt it'd protect the audio pod to some extent.
The hardest thing is getting the shock mount off the aluminium tube of the SM5. Rode have glued the screws so a good Philips head screwdrive is in order or else drill the heads off the screws and then use bull nose pliers to unscrew the long screws out the shock mount. It's all easier than it sounds once you get started.

If anyone needs any help feel free to PM me.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
I just cutoff a short length of 40mm x 3mm aluminium bar I had on hand, drilled 4 holes, rounded off the corners with a file and painted it with matte black engine enamel.
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I have some work to do. I was hoping to buy the part form somewhere as such pieces are evidently the product of the inventive.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #28
Regular Crew

For people who want to put their Lightwave onto their EX1, this is what I did:

-Unscrewed the stock EX1 mic mount and took a thin nail, hammered out the two pins that hold together the mount (the two metal pins that the mount pivots on). Had to hammer one out so that it was sticking out a bit on the other side, then pulled it out with pliers, then stuck the nail through the newly opened end and did the same to the other pin. This will separate the stock mic mount into two halves, a lower and upper one.

-Take the lower half of the stock mic mount and screw it back onto the EX1 where it belongs. I found a thumbscrew from an old flash bracket that fits perfectly into the screwhole in the EX1 stock mic mount, so I just put that through one of the holes in the Lightwave mount and screwed it down, and it holds securely.

The size and thread of the screw that fits the mic mount is pretty standard for camera related gear in my experience so shouldn't be that hard to find, but a worst case scenario is you need a trip to the hardware store to buy one screw of appropriate length. Below are photos of my mount so that people can see what I'm talking about.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...7/ex1mount.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../ex1mount4.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../ex1mount2.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../ex1mount3.jpg
Akira Hakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:18 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Jonathan,

I am jumping on this a little late.

I have a product that will solve your mounting issue and will also give you a second mount for your radio receiver. I think that you will see that you can also move the microphone back 4 inches, so even a long mic like an ME66 will not be in the shot with a wide lens attached. You can also use the shock mount of your choice--I like the Azden which is available on the site too. Please take a look at www.thej-rod.com

Good solutions from Bob and Akira !
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM   #30
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

Very nice! Perfect in fact...... But how is the camera handling noise?

I found that using a Sennheiser MKH 416 in the camera's mic mount the handling noise was terrible!

The J-Rod mount doesn't look like it "suspends" the mic very well compaired to something like the Rode SM5
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html

or the

Audio Thechnica AT8415
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rToReadReviews

where the mics are actually suspended using rubber.

Please comment on the handling noise using the J-Rod. It looks like you've found the best design so far!

After going over the site a bit more I now see that one can choose the mic suspension one wants.

Last edited by Jonathan Bland; May 21st, 2008 at 07:30 AM.
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds