Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 29th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #76
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Sure thing, hopefully the pictures explain it all.

The same bracket and cold shoe could also be used to hold the Rode SM3 shock mount if you wanted something a bit cheaper than the K-Tek. The Rode mount is too long for the CS-1 though. To hold my simple bracket onto the audio pod I used M2.5 x 10mm screws, the screws Sony used are barely long enough for the existing mount. They're a little tough to get out as they're secured with Locktite or similar goo.
Bob, thank you for the info, photos included. My question is, how much higher does your mic now sit, compared to where mine is now (in the Sony mic holder)?
(I'm looking for the lowest-profile I can get away with, but I really like your solution of using something other than Sony's mic clamp, and a good shockmount to deaden camera noise).
Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 09:43 AM   #77
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Jeff,

Nice job - but you're exactly one week too late for me and my EX3! I would definitely have purchased yours. I had aluminum in stock, spent $15 for the shoe and shipping, and two hours cutting, grinding, and drilling!

One question - are there registry holes in the base for the nipples from the audio pod? I drilled additional holes for these as I did not want to damage the camera by cutting/breaking them off.
For what it's worth, the EX1-FLAT mounts shipping since Oct 30 (two days ago) now have registry pockets on the underside so it works on the EX3.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #78
Tourist

Not enough support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rehfield View Post
Anyone have experience with this?

Rode | SM5 - Shotgun Microphone Suspension | SM5 | B&H Photo

I like that it keeps the shoe free, and is adjustable as well. I hear that this style is hard on the existing mic mount, though.
I have this one but the rubberbands dont offer enough support (for Sennheiser ME66 with Softie). The Rycote Softie Mount CCA is better (as suggested by Michael Wisniewski), it also fits in the mic mount therefore leaving the hotshoe free but has enough support for the mic. From memory it doubles up as a makeshift pole mount
Tim Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #79
Major Player

I had to go with this one:

Rycote - Softie Multimount v2

because it was the only thing I've tried so far that would support my Senn MKH60 and a softie without drooping too much toward the front. The only thing I don't like about it is the tendency for the whole thing to "pivot" downward as you tighten down the locking lever. In spite of that, it works very well.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #80
New Boot

see post No 23 i use a mkh60
Brian Rigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #81
Major Player

I've been real happy with this one:

K-Tek | Camera Shoemounting Shockmount | K-CAM-SSM | B&H Photo

Used with the cold shoe adapter DM-Accessories - EX1-FLAT - Shoe Mount for Sony EX1 & EX3 Camcorders

and a Rode NTG-1 and a shorthair Softie.
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #82
Major Player

Hey Ted! (I forgot to call you!)
I did buy the DM-Accessories cold shoe mount so I would have a solid base to work from and it has worked great for me.

dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #83
Major Player

Hey, Dave! Glad to hear it.

Jeff posted this part about 4 days after I "built" my own and painted it. Mine was fine, but it took me about two hours and his was nicer.

I now have Jeff's, though, and it looks much more finished.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds