SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 9th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #526
Trustee

none so far.
The AFT will allow the door to close, but is not fast enough. It errors in HQ modes, it probably will even error in SP modes.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #527
Trustee

Is it critical to have the door closed?

If both adapters are inserted, aren't they already protecting contacts from any possible dust etc.?

Plus, I do not see the open door blocking anything vital, nor does it seem to rattle at all.

And, if Kingston or Cables Unlimited are listening, they may be able to come up with an adapter that lets the card sit in about 3mm deeper to let EX1's door close...
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #528
Major Player

Alex
Probably not, I'm just worried about the boor breaking off if used in a run and gun situation.
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #529
Major Player

I mailed AFT and got a huge nothing from them - mass produced in China and badged, so they probably have zero leverage, although I must say the build quality ( physical ) is far better with the fully inserted click shut feel of the card, shame they're not reliable,

Paul
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #530
New Boot

Wow, I just found this post and my heart is racing. I was about to buy the PHU-60K and now I just got some IOC-9750 readers and four sandisk 16gb Ultra II cards for a fraction of the price. And the cost will only continue to decline!

64gb < $300 , HA!

I cant wait until everything comes in!

One question, do you format the cards on your PC or do you format them on the camera?
Is it the same procedure after the first time they are used? (Do I still need to delete things using clip browser, shotput, or the camera itself?) Or can I delet on the PC by formatting, etc..
Ethan Piliavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #531
Trustee

Ethan, camera formats the cards.

Then, my workflow is to offload/backup the footage using Shotput, and let Shotput format the card in the end (this obviously empties the card and makes it ready for the next recording in camera.)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #532
Trustee

Ethan, just treat the sdhc card and adaptor the same way as you'd treat the sxs card.
Pull the whole lot out of the slot, not just the sd card or the camera gets confused, thinks you've removed card from slot (b) when when you've removed card from slot (a).

So, remove whole card and adaptor, change sd card in adaptor, put adaptor and empty card back in.

Paul.
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #533
Inner Circle

I have not been able to get the transcend 8Gb SSD card to work in my EX3. Initialy it appeared to work but as it filled up it started throwing up media errors, eventually asking to restore the card, which I have not been able to do. So if others are really getting transcend SSD cards to work I'de love to know the part number as I would like to get a few for my EX1.
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #534
Trustee

Alistair.
The supplier where i get my cards has the ssd cards, i think they're transcend.
They definitley stock them because i tried one in my EX1 when i was there.
They also have in stock some faster transcend sdhc cards, (150 x speed).
The shop is called "shop4usb", they're an ebay shop, usually i wouldn't buy memory from an ebay shop but they're only 1 mile from my house and will sell over the counter, so that's what i did.

eBay UK Shop - shop4usb: Memory Card, USB Flash Drive, MP3 Player

Here's the link. Chris has gave me the "ok" to post it.

Paul.
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #535
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I have not been able to get the transcend 8Gb SSD card to work in my EX3. Initialy it appeared to work but as it filled up it started throwing up media errors, eventually asking to restore the card, which I have not been able to do. So if others are really getting transcend SSD cards to work I'de love to know the part number as I would like to get a few for my EX1.
Someone on the "other" forum made "one" post that the Transcend SSD 8GB and 32GB worked in the EX.

Well, I responded asking if it works in HQ mode and how high can you overcrank before it errors. He never posted back. I have a feeling he posted to soon without more testing.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #536
Trustee

I tried the transcend SSD, i got errors at 38fps.
Didn't try it with HQ mode.
I was happy to buy the tried and tested transcend sdhc so didn't pursue the ssd any further.

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Kellett; October 10th, 2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: .
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #537
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Ethan, camera formats the cards.

Then, my workflow is to offload/backup the footage using Shotput, and let Shotput format the card in the end (this obviously empties the card and makes it ready for the next recording in camera.)

Alex,

Were you the one who took the camera to Teaneck for the firmware upgrade? If so, did they charge you for it and how were they for the other warranty upgrades? Did you actually have to have something wrong with the camera for them to do the upgrades for free?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #538
New Boot

Taking Camera to Teaneck

Hi John, I took my EX1 to Teaneck Sony Service and picked it up three weeks later. I only paid $100 for the firmware update. I also got my battery problem fixed and some other stuff was replaced that I am not aware of.
Lou Kulynych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #539
Inner Circle

Three weeks! Please don't tell me it took that long for the firmware upgrade and the circuit board replacement for the battery drain! That's what I need done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Kulynych View Post
Hi John, I took my EX1 to Teaneck Sony Service and picked it up three weeks later. I only paid $100 for the firmware update. I also got my battery problem fixed and some other stuff was replaced that I am not aware of.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #540
New Boot

Taking Camera to Teaneck

Yes Three Weeks!!! A boy did it stink! I had a very busy September and ended up using and abusing my Canon XH-A1. If you have a backup camera to use then I suggest you drive you EX1 into Teaneck (that's if you're in Brooklyn) and be ready for a three week wait.
Lou Kulynych is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds