SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 37 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 10th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #541
Major Player

whoa that was scary.. couldn't get the ultra II to work, it wouldn't even format.. ran a test on the computer, all the read write speeds are way high... very good. over 17mbs on the first series of tests. Numbers were stable during the test.

Tried to format several times, powered down, switched slots... nothing.

Then I tried my 2nd kensington reader... worked first time. Tried record in HQ and SP both worked.

Guess I got a bum 7 in 1 reader. :(
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #542
Trustee

Erik - did you try IOC-9750? I posted a link (prob prev page now) for $8 cost + free shipping on it.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #543
Major Player

Just to add that Transcend and Lexar SSD 8GB cards tested here, only suitable for SP recording, and sometimes not even that. Tread carefully with these, they may let you down when you least expect it. These two were tested with my EX1.

I've also finished testing Patriot 16Gb SDHC class 6 card - this is too slow and throws errors, even with HQ - avoid. Tested with Kensington adapter in my EX1

Paul
Old October 11th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #544
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Erik - did you try IOC-9750? I posted a link (prob prev page now) for $8 cost + free shipping on it.
Yea I guess I need too. I am going to see if I can return the bad kensington first.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #545
Inner Circle

I have no backup HD camera although the place I bought the camera from might give me a loaner. I'm planing on driving to Teaneck but 3 weeks is ABSURD! BTW I'm not speaking from "the abstract." I'm a former Video Engineer at a big facility and used to deal with Teaneck regularly. They never took anything close to that long on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Kulynych View Post
Yes Three Weeks!!! A boy did it stink! I had a very busy September and ended up using and abusing my Canon XH-A1. If you have a backup camera to use then I suggest you drive you EX1 into Teaneck (that's if you're in Brooklyn) and be ready for a three week wait.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #546
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I have no backup HD camera although the place I bought the camera from might give me a loaner. I'm planing on driving to Teaneck but 3 weeks is ABSURD! BTW I'm not speaking from "the abstract." I'm a former Video Engineer at a big facility and used to deal with Teaneck regularly. They never took anything close to that long on anything.
I kind of resent having to pay $100 for a firmware upgrade. Do you recommend against a DIY approach if one can get the leaked firmware from some anonymous place? And I don't mean from an "ethical" standpoint. I mean from a "practical" standpoint. I have never in my life heard of paying for firmware upgrades for anything. What if there are several more firmware upgrades? Does that mean we have to pay $100 each time they update the firmware? It's gouging. I feel like someone who has had an SxS card shoved up their .........and can't get it out.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #547
Trustee

Right now, the Kensington adapter is the best working solution for using SDHC cards in the EX1 and EX3.
At least until we find a working solution equal or better than the SDHC that allows the EX1 door to close.

The Kensignton with SDHC is capable of overcranking 40FPS at 24P without an error in the EX.
This overcrank is an equivalent of approx 8.3MB/s.

We know the Kensington specs should offer the full SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/s data rate, but for "some reason", we are limited to 8.3MB/s.

It would be nice to know if this bottleneck is the way Sony is using the USB Protocol (or they possibly intentionally crippled the USB datarate).? Or, is it a problem with the Kensington 7-in-1 expresscard adaptor?

We can learn the answer to these questions with a USB 2.0 to USB Mode ExpressCard reader.
The Sony expresscard reader is PCIe based and will not work with our USB based adaptor.

Here's one USB 2.0 to USB Mode ExpressCard that would be nice to try:
MicroU2E-MV USB 2.0 to USB Mode ExpressCard 34|54 Multi-Voltage Host Adapter, Synchrotech

We could run the Crystal Disk Mark PC utility datarate memory tester on our SDHC.
If we are able to get the 15MB/s sustained R/W datarates, we will know that the problem is with the way Sony is using the USB, or they intentionally crippled the USB datarate.

This certainly will explain why their own USB PHU-60K drive barely works in HQ mode. It has lots of "restore media" errors and also explains why it's not fast enough to run S&Q modes.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #548
Major Player

Let's chip in and send it to Steven for testing. $60 should cover the part plus shipping. I'll commit to $10 - anyone else?

Once we get the money committed, we can PayPal Steven and he can order it and the research can continue.
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #549
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Let's chip in and send it to Steven for testing. $60 should cover the part plus shipping. I'll commit to $10 - anyone else?
Thank Ted, but I think you just closed down the thread. LOL ;)

I appreciate, but no need. I'm just wondering if someone might have a USB based expresscard reader in their laptop or PC that might want to run the Crystal Disk Mark datarate tests on the Kensington plus SDHC combo.
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #550
Inner Circle

Give me 30 mins. I have a laptop with both Express card slot and SD card slot. I'll do some tests.
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #551
Trustee

Thanks Alister!
Here's a link to the free datarate tester:

http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...k/index-e.html
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #552
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
The Kensington + SDHC is capable of overcranking 40FPS at 24P without an error in the EX.
This overcrank is an equivalent of approx 8.3MB/s.
That equates to a data rate of just over 65Mbs, which raises an interesting question. There's due to be an SxS adaptor for the PDW700, when the normal data rate is 50Mbs. Will SDHC reliably record at this rate?

Since the 65Mbs is an actual working speed, not a nominal manufacturers spec, I think there's grounds for optimism, but it should be an interesting test.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #553
Inner Circle

OK ran some tests, pretty inconclusive, but here are my results, the last one is interesting:

Transcend 16Gb Class 6 card (also ran the tests with a 8Gb Extreme III, almost exactly the same results). 500Mb sequential file.

In Kensington adapter via express card slot.

Seq R19.37/W14.37
512k 19.22/2.54
4k 4.68/0.021

Via Sandisk USB adapter

Seq 19.38/14.53
512k 19.22/1.92
4k 4.677/0.018

Via built-in SD card slot... This is the interesting one..

Seq 7.76/6.80
512k 7.65/1.69
4k 4.32/0.018

This was with a Sony NV11M laptop.

Maybe they are using the same controller in the laptop as in the as the EX! From this test I would suggest that the Kensington card is not the bottleneck.

By the way PHU-60 users have found that with a USB sex changer (sony use an odd USB connector on the express card adapter) they have been able to use generic USB hard drives. No matter how big the drive no one can get them to format above 80Gb. But still opens up the possibility of recording to cheap USB drives.
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #554
Trustee

Thank you Alister!

This is good and bad news!

This now concludes that the issue is with Sony's EX camera implementation of USB data control.
OR, worst yet, they intentionally crippled the USB data rate!

Sony, PLEASE fix the USB datarate problem.

This may allow your own PHU-60K to not have "restore media" errors.
Which we know are directly tied to datarate. We determined this by using slow SDHC cards in the Kensington reader. They also were infected with "restore media" errors.

IMO, and many will agree, the ability to use SDHC cards is a breakthrough for Sony.
This itself, will increase camera sales. Also, it will allow you to manufacture a better working
SDHC card reader that will allow the EX1 memory door to close with the SDHC card inserted.
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #555
Inner Circle

I also agree that Sony should support SD cards, they have everything to gain, after all, they will sell lots more EX's

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds