SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 87 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 8th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #1291
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
That's a pretty good point... there are some good arguments either way (open slot vs. hinged shell).
Wouldn't the hinged door break off after using it like that for awhile? It's only a plastic flap I assume.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #1292
Inner Circle

John, I made this point yesterday.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Personally, I think an end loading slot (Kensington style) for the SDHC is more reliable and rugged as a two-part express card adapter that you could easily open up risks damage. Each leaf would need to be quite thin and the hinge arrangement (or sliding arrangement or lug and catch etc. design) might make it fragile, maybe?

Also, pushing in the SDHC from the end gives a nice, almost 'self-cleaning' action as it slides home on the metal contacts of the expresscard's terminals within.

I'm no electronics designer but those are my thoughts.
.....Once again I see this thread going round in circles......

Chris, just a suggestion but why don't you close (and lock?) this thread? People can refer to the summary pages and then start new, specific threads about different aspects of SxS Substitution. I think it will make it easier for everyone to access good info without the endless repetition that this thread has evolved into because of it's shear enormity.

Not having a go at anyone here, just think it will make everyone's lives a bit easier!
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #1293
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Wouldn't the hinged door break off after using it like that for awhile? It's only a plastic flap I assume.
Well, it's not even made yet (and in all honesty, it may no longer need to be made, since Ross now has a solution ready to go). So no, you can't assume it would have a plastic lid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Chris, just a suggestion but why don't you close (and lock?) this thread?
I have a feeling now that Ross has posted about his working adapter, this thread will probably die down all by itself. Once his adapter is shipping to customers, it will definitely have its own thread (might even happen before then).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1294
Trustee

Hi Ross i'm in Sydney when can I place an order or pick some up. I have a long shoot this week out in the bush and can't find any SXS cards anywhere in Sydney, can you help me out?
Regards
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #1295
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C. Fisher View Post
(besides Kensington,)...at this moment there is only one card that works and that's the Generic one from Hong Kong. I have several on order at the moment. The link is in Kevin Cates post above.
While this is no longer the only other working option - kudos to Ross!! - I can now report that HK adapter also works.

The card sticks out of it even farther than with Kensington, but hey - the door did not close either way on EX1 :)

Reliability: combo (how do we call it? HKxS?) was recognized effortlessly on all attempts. Video recorded uneventfully. Tried a couple minutes; then as frequent start-stops as camera could accept. No errors.

I was able to reliably overcrank it to 40fps. It produces media error while overcranked to 48fps eventually, just like with other adapters in my camera.

Please note that I just received those adapters today and all info is from the very limited tests I've just done.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #1296
Regular Crew

Yes, glad they work for you too Alex. The shipping is really slow but cheap! I wonder if Ross's new card reader is a variation of the Hong Kong card as we both have these and they work flawlessly including long recording and auto switching of slots when 2 are in my EX3. Haven't been game to trim the SD Sandisk cards back yet though!

Evan
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #1297
Major Player

Ross this looks like the ultimate solution, so i will be in for a few.
Will you take Paypal?

As for the name, why not call it something which is clear and precise? Its made for the EX1 and EX3, so why not just call it the EX1/3 SDHC Adaptor. No one will then be confused!
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #1298
Regular Crew

How about ROSSxS? :D

With regard to other cards, I have 2 of the HK generics and they both work flawlessly (except, of course, for their unfortunate length).

I can report less success with the Delkins. I've ordered 3 separate cards, and twice received the incorrect model. The one "correct" model has a quality control problem, in that the spring loading mechanism continually attempts to eject the SDHC card.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to Ross's custom designed, reliable solution.
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #1299
Trustee

Ross, does your adaptor have a spring type eject (push push)or does it need to be pulled out manually ?

I'm definately interested in a few, along with the rest of the crew i work with.
Hope you do paypal.

Paul.
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #1300
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
Hi Ross i'm in Sydney when can I place an order or pick some up. I have a long shoot this week out in the bush and can't find any SXS cards anywhere in Sydney, can you help me out?
Regards
Simon
Hi Simon,

See check your email.

Thanks
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Ross this looks like the ultimate solution, so i will be in for a few.
Will you take Paypal?

As for the name, why not call it something which is clear and precise? Its made for the EX1 and EX3, so why not just call it the EX1/3 SDHC Adaptor. No one will then be confused!
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the question, we are currently setting up the website to accept Paypal, should be ready for Friday.
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Ross, does your adaptor have a spring type eject (push push)or does it need to be pulled out manually ?

I'm definately interested in a few, along with the rest of the crew i work with.
Hope you do paypal.

Paul.
It is designed as Push in / push out, and when the card is in the "Pushed in" position it takes deliberate force to pull it out unless it has been "Pushed" again to release it.

We will be accepting Paypal.
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #1303
Regular Crew

Wow!!!

Ross,
You should be decorated with "Videographer's medal of Honor".
Thanks for your enormous contribution.

Mark
Mark Krichever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #1304
Trustee

Great job Ross. I could get a few for the Singapore gang. When will you start shipping?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #1305
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Great job Ross. I could get a few for the Singapore gang. When will you start shipping?
Hi Sean, Ross indicates the shipping dates in his post. You can read it at

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/974576-post2.html

or http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/974556-post1284.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds