SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 96 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #1426
Regular Crew

SONNET TECHNOLOGIES MMRW-E34 Sonnet 21-in-1 MultiMedia Card Reader Writer 21-in-1 Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick PRO-HG, MultiMediaCard MMC , RS-MMC, MMCplus, MMC mobile, MMCmicro, Secure Digital SD Card, microSD, mini

This should work too right?

I live sonnet stuff having used there cards in my Mac for many years.
Adam Levins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1427
Major Player

I tried that one back when we were all trying to find out which adapters would work. I found it didn't work.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #1428
Regular Crew

Thanks Keith.
Adam Levins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #1429
New Boot

Tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Zebzda View Post
Has anyone tried the Silicon Power card in the ex1 ?

Wayne
I have tested yesterday, with the SDHC adapter. Worked fine in all modes, but don't have the ability to overcrank, like the Transcend and Sandisk.
Gabriel Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #1430
New Boot

I have 5 cards of Sandisk 16GB Ultra II class4 and also 5 Transcend 16GB class 6. In some strange way the all those Transcend cards have been playing me for a sucker. Sandisk cards work perfectly but with the Transcend cards I keep getting "unknown media errors" and "unreconizable media" and what have you.

I actually haven't lost any data, and all the Transcend cards do work after changing them between adapters and "restoring data".
Thomas Alexander Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #1431
Major Player

I have 8 Transcend 16gb class 6 SDHC cards. I haven't seen what you describe.

Where did you buy these cards?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #1432
New Boot

I bought them from a reputable internetshop in Germany.
Thomas Alexander Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #1433
Inner Circle

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this 96 page thread yet, but the idea of putting those Express Card adapters together with one of those nanoFlash units that Convergent Design is coming out with in June could be an utterly fantastic combo - high quality 4:2:2 recording on CF, with "low quality" backup on SDHC, and cheap as heck (after biting the bullet to pay for the nanoFlash unit).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #1434
Digital Photography Review

e-films MxR + 32 GB Transcend SDHC works

Just for the record, I'm using the e-films MxR adapter with 32 GB Transcend SDHC card (Class 6) and it works fine up to 720p50.
Phil Askey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #1435
Inner Circle

Just to remind people, frame rate is irrelevant in normal HQ recording as all frame rates and size are 35mbps VBR. It's only in OVERCRANK that frame rate increases data rate.

720p24, 1080p30 or 720p60 all the same data rate.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #1436
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Askey View Post
Just for the record, I'm using the e-films MxR adapter with 32 GB Transcend SDHC card (Class 6) and it works fine up to 720p50.
At HQ and filling the entire card? I can record for 30-40 minutes on a blank card before getting a media error on my Transcend 32GB Class 6. Several cards, several MxR adapters. Cards work flawlessly at SP. Transcend 16GB works flawlessly at HQ. My advice: beware if you're doing long-format recording.

On a related note, anyone else notice that new 32GB SxS cards have dropped to ~$850? Looks like Sony pulled the 16GB SxS cards, and Sony's new 32GB are now only ~$200 more than SanDisk's current 16GB SxS offering. Still a lot more expensive than the MxR/MxM route.
King Rhoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #1437
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Askey View Post
Hi Phil, welcome to the video club :-)

The problems will start when you try to overcrank with Transcend cards, the standard USB transfer (as used by SD) can't cope with the higher transfer speeds required for overcranking. I tend to use the 16gb cards just to keep the data safe.

Vincent (photo-i.co.uk)
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #1438
Regular Crew

Overcrank on Sandisk Ultra II vs Transcend class 6

I filmed a documentary in India and in the USA using the EX3 and sandisk Ultra II 16Gb cards + a Kensington card adapter.
What Ive found after having shot roughly 80 hrs of footage is that overcrank upto 50/ playback at 25fps HQ 720p/25, seems to work absolutely ok on the Sandisk 16Gb cards.(even going upto 1 minute of recording slo mo),

The Transcends are another story, same adapter, I noticed straight away that overcrank works max upto 48/25, on these. Other wise it says media error.
Not sure why that happens, havent experimented going above 50/25 for the Sandisk though.
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #1439
New Boot

Jvc ka-mr100g sxs

Does anybody know if the Kensington (or any) adapter will work in the JVC KA-Mr100G recorder? MXMExpress told me their card won't work in it.
Gregory Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #1440
Major Player

I picked up the MxR cards (these are great) and then bought 8 Transcend Class 6 16GB SDHC cards. I have found one SDHC card out of the eight that will start recording clips normally but before if is half full it will fail (every time) and need to be restored. I've done multiple re-formats on this card and always re-formated the card if it has been read by my Mac.

So I'm double checking all my SDHC cards to be sure there are not other cards with a consistent problem like this.

Now I'll try to exchange the bad one...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds