SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 79 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:48 AM   #1171
Inner Circle

Delkin Card - OLDER version is the one that works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
There are some (two) early reports on the web that this might work for all but overcranking in a similar way to the Kensington. More information will come no doubt come soon (or just google it).

Expresscard Multi-card Adapter
This has been posted here and elsewhere but......just to stress this. The card I originally linked to (which works, allows EX1 door to close etc.) is in fact the OLDER one and at this time is discontinued by Delkin (!). Web reports suggest that the newer version (has the big DD logo on the side) unfortunately DOES NOT WORK for SxS substitution. A helpful post on another forum suggests that Delkin are very responsive to the idea of reviving the older version, linked above (now they know of the potential EX1/EX3 market). No doubt we'll hear more information soon.

I don't have either but I just don't want people rushing around ordering the wrong Delkin cards until this is sorted out - especially since forum posting still seems a bit messed up/hit and miss at the moment!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:21 AM   #1172
Regular Crew

Kensington cards found in Akihabara

I'm visiting Akihabara, which is a district in Tokyo that must be seen to be believed - there is every possible electronic item for sale here. Including the Kensington cards. Yesterday I went to a large store near my hotel and bought all their stock on display (three cards). Today I went back and they replenished their supply.

Now I'm happy with the three I have, but I probably could be talked into returning one or more times to repeatedly clean them out and bring them back to the states.

They are 4950 Yen which, with the 10-year low in the exchange rate, is about USD$50 each.

Just thought I'd offer.
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:43 AM   #1173
Trustee

Brooks,
I've been there a couple times, electronics everywhere. You can actually walk there from the Ueno exit which is close. The parent company I work for is located in Kumagaya.

I was surprised on how expensensive everything was.
$50 each is expensive.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:54 AM   #1174
Regular Crew

Akihabara

Yeah, some stuff is definitely more expensive here. I'm sure it's partly due to the horrible exchange rate, but not entirely. I saw an EX1 for a bit under 900,000 Yen - which seems way too high even if the exchange rate was back where it was a few years ago.

Down the street, however, I picked up a name-brand 2GB SD card for the equivalent of USD$3.

You want good deals on small parts? Good deals abound. Deals on big ticket items? Not so much.
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:19 AM   #1175
New Boot

Hey all,
just wanted to report that my sandisk ultra 2, which arrived today, works without any problems when overcranking at 50fps
Benni Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM   #1176
Regular Crew

After viewing the individual who was kind enough to post his video on how to ( Cut ) a Ultra 2 SDHC card in order for you to close your EX-1 door, i took it upon myself to do the same.

But with a little twist. Instead of physically cutting the card, i took it and ground off the exses plastic on with my bench grinder.

Now i have 2 cards i can still easily remove from my Kensington adapter AND close my EX-1 door.

I have to tell everyone here. This was so simple it amazed me. Took me all of 5 minutes to do 2 cards.

Tested the cards up to 50fps. Zero problems. I will post pic,s shortly.
Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM   #1177
Major Player

kensington adapter

Is the Kensington adapter available or not?
Some web sites show it's back ordered but some show it seems to be available. I haven't actually tried to order, perhaps they are not up to date?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM   #1178
Major Player

Just an FYI - I've been using the SanDisk 16GB cards in the Kensington but today I got 2 Transcend 16GB from Amazon ($34 each) and can overcrank consistently 60fps at 30p, 48fps at 24p with no errors. Can only do about 50fps at 30p on the SanDisks. I'll still use the SxS cards for overcranking, but this is a good indication of the data rate improvement.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM   #1179
Trustee

Ed, Amazon just canceled my Kensington order that was supposed to be fulfilled by Beach Audio.

So I'm sure your mileage will vary depending on which supplier still has remaining stock.

I'd imagine not much is left anywhere, at this point.

Chris Hurd (owner of this site) and others reported that they are working with some manufacturers to produce a Kensington alternative - which also will allow EX1 door to close.

I guess we shall wait and see at this point.

Some people report success with Delkin adapter, but there's a confusion which of 2 modifications to buy, as only one works.

Last edited by Alex Raskin; December 2nd, 2008 at 06:39 PM.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM   #1180
Trustee

I'm new to this discussion and don't want to wade through 80 pages so:

Are there any downsides to these cards besides

- can't always close the door

and
- limitations on slow mo speed.

Any reported issues of reliability?

Does the camera communicate with them as fully as Sony cards in the review mode for erasing and checking footage?

Its hard to believe there is a Santa Claus.

- Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM   #1181
Regular Crew

Here, read one page.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...sxs-cards.html
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1182
Trustee

Yes, SDHC works great.

You can do everything you can do with the SxS except overcrank at higher rates above 40FPS or so. Well, at least safely.

If you need to overcrank, just use your SxS card. No big deal.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM   #1183
Regular Crew

I mananged to pick up two Kensington cards today in the UK @ £14.94 each....all I need is an EX to put them in.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:30 PM   #1184
Regular Crew

Left photo is side by side comparison of modified and unmodified cards.

Right photo is side by side comparison of modified card in Kensington adapter and unmodified card in Kensington adapter.

Card was modified using a bench grinder.

Now my EX-1 door closes. JOY!
Attached Thumbnails
SDHC substitute for SxS cards-dsc07806.jpg   SDHC substitute for SxS cards-dsc07807.jpg  

Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:11 PM   #1185
Major Player

Don't try this at home kids this video was done by a trained professional Card shaver...lol
I think I will wait on the Delkins although it want have any effect on the SanDisk card it’s all plastic from the back end to the logo.

SDHC card shaving | Fohdeesha Media
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds