Soft Video, Not at all happy - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #16
Trustee

Could you provide a better comparison?
The color balance and overall look are so different, I'm not sure about the question.
Also, the Z1 image has a lot of artifiicial sharpening over the EX1 image you provided.
Although the EX1 shot does not look that good in the example, I find the Z1 to look
really harsh due to the sharpening. This screams video.

If you do not like the EX1, why hold on to it. Just sell it.

If it's not a back foucs issue, there might be something else wrong with your camera.
It's certainly hard to tell from one frame.

Would you consider this EX1 image soft?:
http://www.aerialsfilm.com/stevet/vlcsnap-76842.png
I shot it with NO artificial enhancement (sharpening)
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #17
Trustee

There are 3 issues:

1.) sharpness (detail setting) is ON for the Z1 and off for the EX1.
2.) more depth of field in the Z1 pic means it was probably using a stopped down aperture
3.) The EX1 is shooting in its lower resolution HDV mode SP 1440 x 1080.

Comments:

See the halo'd outline on the hand and wrist on the Z1 image? That's excessive artificial sharpening being applied to the image. My personal opinion is the softer EX1 image is more professional looking in appearance. But if you want it to pop, Phil's film-like preset is probably not the best choice. You also still have the option to shoot full HQ 1920 x 1080 mode.

You've left a lot of chips on the table, if sharpness is your goal. You have many options to make it zing. To start with, go to the last post (mine) in the EX1 picture profile recipes (one of the sticky threads at the top), and use my detail setting. Then choose gamma std3, then for matrix choose normal or standard, +4 on the saturation.

One last note, if you are right in the face of your subject, the minimum focus distance on the Z1 is about 1/2 inch, on the EX1 it's several feet unless you switch macro ON. You may have been too close to your subject.

I owned the Z1. It was a great cam back in the day, and still holds it's own by any measure, but the EX1 image is seriously more detailed.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #18
Major Player

Different angle from that example, the Z1 has some side light, that will enhance details, there is no way the Z1 can be sharper, but if you are not liking it at all, we can do a trade, I will buy you a brand new Z1 and you will give me your EX1(-:
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Steven, that's the sort of still I was extracting from my brief look at an EX, it's absolutely stunning! Sharp as is not out of focus, but not video sharpened, I thought the best looking image I'd ever seen on any video camera.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #20
Major Player

i am not sure of the sharpen settings on the Z1. since I have had it, never messed with them. I love the EX1, i really couldnt think of going back to tape. the stuff i shot was shot in SQ mode, to match my Z1. Here is a quick grab of a shot I did in HQ60i, with PP4 and NOT phil bloom, i did the FB procedure last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Soft Video, Not at all happy-ex1pf.jpg  
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #21
Major Player

Tom, thank you for your post! this is exactly the kind of info i needed. i am looking at video I just shot on my 1080P Sony Bravia, and damn, i am smiling now.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Steven, that's the sort of still I was extracting from my brief look at an EX, it's absolutely stunning! Sharp as is not out of focus, but not video sharpened, I thought the best looking image I'd ever seen on any video camera.
Steve
Thanks Steve.
I'm actally amazed with the EX1. But, like camera and video, sometimes you get that magic moment.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds