Run/Stop? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old December 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #31
Wrangler

Re: Run/Stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tregoning View Post
Has anyone had any luck making a start and stop remote?

I am hoping to find one that will have the remote socket on one end and a LANC jack on the other. This is to be used with the LANC loop on the Ki Pro Mini.

Hope someone can help
Such a beast would mean a cable with a processor that can talk two different protocols. It's not just electrical connections, it's serial data protocols. It's not going to happen.

Right now the options are going to be this:

1-LANC remote to run the Mini on it's own

2-Custom active F3 remote cable sold by Denz in Germany to run the camera, and then in turn run the Mini. Denz, as far as I know, is the only company to have made a cable with simple closure scheme and a simple processor in the cable itself to talk to the camera and give it run/stop serial data commands. It's 275 Euros if I remember correctly.
Old December 7th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #32
New Boot

The Pclix XT Pclix XT | Intervalometer | Time-Lapse Triggering | Canon 5D Recording | Video Camera Triggering now can trigger the F3 with infrared light. The IR tranmitter can be extended up to 200 meters with a normal BNC cable. I've got the older version XL which I have sent away for the upgrade. Will let everyone know if it works as described.
Tony Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #33
Regular Crew

That sounds like the HV20 hack. I did it years ago for a couple bucks and can probably pull up the old article on it if anyone is interested.

You open your infra red standard remote that comes with the camera and cut the wires in the middle going to the bulb. Leave some on the bulb and some on the board.

Solder an 1/8" phone socket in the remote in its place. A little shaping of the whole were the bulb was and the socket fits in and tightens down.

Plug in an extension cable, then another cable. Then solder the bulb on the end of the cable. Shrink wrap around the connection makes it look pretty.

The middle cable is so you can put different length extensions in between. You put the bulb right in front of the camera's sensor. It works real well, triggers all the things the remote can normally control and is real helpful for cranes and such.
Attached Thumbnails
Run/Stop?-cablebulbremote.jpg  
Duke Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #34
Major Player

Denz are making something that sounds like they figured the serial protocol.

Przisionsentwicklung Denz - Camera Accessories - Manufacturing

There is a run/stop adapter cable for the F3 listed - 301.0362 Lemo/Hirose (Sony PMW-F3) 298,-- € / pc.

No idea if it work well or at all...
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #35
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post

No idea if it work well or at all...
Right. I'd trust Denz myself though, they've been at it for a while.
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #36
Major Player

It would seem the easy solution to this would be to install a sub-mini jack that is connected to what is likely a momentary contact switch on the run/ stop in the handle. Then the contact could be made by any simple external switch. I am sure there is a spot on the handle where this would fit. This would take less than an hour and cost peanuts. It would void the warranty however.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta