Run/Stop? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 31st, 2011, 07:01 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Run/Stop?

Here is the pin assignment diagram for the "Remote" connector...
Attached Thumbnails
Run/Stop?-remoteconnector-f3.png  
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:47 PM   #17
Major Player

I have the same diagram from the same source. It does not not match the connector on the F3 sadly, they are entirely different.

That looks exactly like the zoom/run/stop on the EX series, which is what led me down the garden path thinking it might be a Tajimi connector as used by Fujinon.

It's possible the pins are 1-1, but the connector is wrong. Who's game to test that out :D

edit: Added a pic. It "looks" like a Hirose MXR, but I don't have one to compare.
Attached Thumbnails
Run/Stop?-f3-remote_port.jpg  

Last edited by David C. Williams; March 31st, 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added pic
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:41 PM   #18
Major Player

Good catch David. Glad you pointed that out with the picture. I have a call in a technician in Pro Sony repair where I live. Hopefully, he will phone tomorrow with the name of the connector.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM   #19
Major Player

The Sony technician had nothing conclusive but said they thought it to be a Hirose connector.

I looked around at some schematics and it sure appears to be the Hirose MXR 8-pin connector. Below is a link to a page with info and links to schematics.

MXR-8P-8P(71) - Hirose - MXR8P8P71 - datasheet
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:18 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I have a Jib shoot coming up with my F3, the IR remote works for stop start but I ordered the MXR8 plug for a hard wire configuration. Has anyone determined if pin 5 to ground starts the camera?
Steve Cocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #21
Major Player

Has anyone taken this project further and developed a working start/stop cable yet?
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #22
Major Player

Just received and confirmed that the

798-MXR8P8P71
Hirose Circular Push Pull Connectors
PLG 8P MALE CIRCULAR

Fits the F3 connector.

It can be ordered from Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor
Old May 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #23
Major Player

Photo showing connector and pin out from F3 service manual.

Next step soldering and a switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Run/Stop?-photo.png  
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Steve. Much appreciated!
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:27 AM   #25
Major Player

Received an updated Sony F3 remote pin configuration for the F3 and this one matches. The other diagrams shown in previous posts (including mine) omits the center connector, which suggest they are not the correct diagram. The remote connector on the F3 does indeed have a center pin.

Based on this pin out I see no way to trigger a remote record with a home made switch.

Any one else have some thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Run/Stop?-connector.jpg  
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM   #26
Major Player

So I'm guessing that the commands to the camera need to be encoded in a serial data stream?
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:24 PM   #27
Trustee

That fits with what a Sony tech was telling me. The remote port is supposed to be some sort of serial encoding ( it does offer an immense amount of options on the menu side of things) I had hoped that he was wrong or at the very least just not understanding our goal. But it seems like the remote port isn't the best way to go after all.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:53 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Not sure whether this would be more or less work - but it seems to me that you could DIY the wireless remote into a wired one. The placement of the front hot shoe gives you an easy mounting option to boot. The key would be to separate the IR transmitter into a separate box mounted directly in front of the camera receiver, with a length of cable between it and the transmitting box.

You could either use the official Sony remote, or in theory probably work with off the shelf parts. The key is to identify the transmit codes for each action.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:08 PM   #29
Major Player

I thought about using the IR remote too. I've spent a lot of time messing around with IR codes and stuff. I have a receiver that hooks to a PC, apps that can decode IR on the PC and also PC transmitters that can take those codes and send them. That might be neat for making a GUI on a PC that can operate the camera. Not really practical for a steadicam operator though. Not entirely sure if there are more IR codes that the camera understands, beyond the buttons on the little included remote.

I have also spent some time with IR extenders. These might be a solution to help use the IR as a stop / start. I think a big pain would be enabling IR on every powerup. There is no way to make it persistent.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #30
New Boot

Has anyone had any luck making a start and stop remote?

I am hoping to find one that will have the remote socket on one end and a LANC jack on the other. This is to be used with the LANC loop on the Ki Pro Mini.

Hope someone can help
Matthew Tregoning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta