Canon EOS-40D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #16
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 70
canon 40d

Speed and control. The high performance digital SLR for creative photographers.
10.1 Megapixel CMOS Image Sensor
DiG!C III Image Processor
6.5 fps (up to 75 in a single burst)
9-point AF
ISO 100-1600 (expandable to 3200 via Custom Fctn)
Spot Metering
Live View Mode
Picture Style Modes
EOS Integrated Cleaning System
3.0" LCD Screen
A 10.1 Megapixel Canon developed CMOS sensor and DiG!C III Image Processor combine to deliver superb image quality with low noise and natural colour. Key new features include the EOS Integrated Cleaning System and Live View Shooting (with AF capabilities). With the ability to capture up to 6.5fps in incredible 14-bit colour, the EOS 40D is the only option for the enthusiast photographer.

Outstanding image quality

-10.1 megapixel Canon-developed CMOS sensor captures superb image quality with low noise and natural

High Performance Features

-Digi III Acting as the brain inside the camera, this chip produces unsurpassed detail & 14-bit colour
-9-point AF for ultra sharp images. You can manually select on of the 9 points to ensure correct focus
-Capturing 6.5 fps with the ability to capture an incredible 75 shots in a single continuous burst

Be more creative

-Live View Mode Just like a compact camera, you can hold the 40D away from your face and still clearly see what you are shooting on the 3.0" LCD screen

Clearer Vision

-On the huge 3.0" LCD Screen
-Picture Style allows you to customise the look of your images with modes such as monochrome and landscape
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #17
MPS Digital Studios
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 8,531
Canon 5D might be great for you, Mark.

heath
__________________
My Final Cut Pro X blog
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #18
MPS Digital Studios
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 8,531
ps-Official on the 40D: http://kenrockwell.com/canon/40d.htm

and the 1Ds Mk. III: http://kenrockwell.com/canon/1ds-mk-iii.htm

heath
__________________
My Final Cut Pro X blog
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #19
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 8,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield View Post
Doubly frustrating because I had my heart set on not being just another Canon shooter,

Decisions, decisions.
Is that because the type of camera you use determines the value and quality of your photographs?

Or are people who use Canon simply more average because Canon sells more cameras than anyone else?

:)
__________________
Need to rent camera gear in Vancouver BC?
Check me out at camerarentalsvancouver.com
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:20 PM   #20
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NZ
Posts: 1,276
Frankly speaking, I don't care about all new features. All I want is to allow me take at least one million shot with my nikon d40 camera. I am worried about my d40 can't take any shot anymore everyday because I took around 40,000 shots by using the camera for four months. It should be covered by 12 month warranty. I hate that feeling.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM   #21
MPS Digital Studios
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 8,531
I can't imagine any camera not lasting a long time if you take care of it. Someone put the strap on my D40x camera wrong, it came apart and fell to the brick sidewalk (who lays bricks down for sidewalks in South Florida?!). I had a small dent on the back corner, but it still worked! And this was two hours after I received it!

I should probably send the camera in to get it checked up, just in case. But the D40x still works!

heath
__________________
My Final Cut Pro X blog
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:49 PM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
Canon 5D might be great for you, Mark.

heath
5D has a lot of appeal Heath, especially since I tend to prefer shooting wide-angle over telephoto, and from what I can make out most of the wides needed for DX cameras are somewhat compromised by the extreme focal lengths needed due to the 1.5/1.6x multiplier. Because this new job prospect is shooting sports they expect me to use a "fast" camera body - whether they consider the 3fps of the 5D "fast" enough, I don't know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Is that because the type of camera you use determines the value and quality of your photographs?

Or are people who use Canon simply more average because Canon sells more cameras than anyone else?
Just a niggling desire to be different Dylan! From what I could tell the 30D is a bit faster focussing than the D200 which could make all the difference shooting sports (I don't know, haven't shot sports before) I just find a strange appeal in the idea of being the one bloke in the stands without a big white lens on the end of my camera... it's a personal quirk, I have nothing against Canon shooters, I just prefer to be different if I can. :)
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #23
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Aus
Posts: 3,884
The 40D will make a welcome addition to my 5D... it offers new options only available on the higher end MKIII's so I've got the best of both worlds, plus a backup if need be.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #24
MPS Digital Studios
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 8,531
My buddy bought a 20D in 2005, our mutual friend bought a 30D in 2006 and now, 2007, it's the 40D. SHEESH!

I swear, the megapixel count in DSLRs, along with the crazy features in low-cost HD/HDV camcorders remind me of the computer wars in the late 1990s/2000 when megahertz was king.

heath
__________________
My Final Cut Pro X blog
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #25
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
The 40D will make a welcome addition to my 5D... it offers new options only available on the higher end MKIII's so I've got the best of both worlds, plus a backup if need be.
5D and 40D would be a killer combination! Throw a nice wide-angle lens on the 5D and make the most of the 1.6x multiplier of the 40D with a good telephoto zoom - assuming you were willing to lug both cameras around, you'd be covered for just about everything (with no need for lens swapping!). I can see the same appeal with a combination like the new D3 and D300 from Nikon.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:50 PM   #26
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 373
I just purchased the 40D last weekend and have to say that it is great. I've seen a lot of comparison shots with the 40D vs 5D and a lot of users (of both) are saying that they are close to even. There is talk of a new 5D model coming soon though.

I was originally settled on the 5D and saving for it when the 40D was released and the comparison shots were trickling in. Compared to the 30D (which I deceded against getting when it was released), the 40D is exactly what i was looking for. I never really considered the XTi because of the small plastic body. Tried all 3 at the store and the XTi was just too small for my hand (and I'm a girl!)

I am really diggin' the "Live View" for extreme positions (like when the cam is on the ground or close and i cant look through the viewfinder). The sensor cleaner is nice, the MP is nice, overall a great camera and I'm 100% glad I picked it up instead of the 5d that was $1000 more. I can use that $1000 for glass now.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 04:12 PM   #27
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NZ
Posts: 1,276
Hi Lisa,

Any of your 40d photo to share?

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM   #28
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 439
Mark -
I would suggest that you're probably not expected to show up with fast bodies so much as it's recommended because they will give you a better chance of getting peak action than slower bodies will. But timing's everything, and for some people 10fps isn't enough... for others (David Burnett), 1 frame per 5 seconds is enough to hit things on the dot. Shoot what you choose to shoot, and when you learn the response of your camera, it's your instinct more than your motor drive that will help you nail it.

Just FYI, the 5D vignettes pretty badly on even a 16mm lens. I too like shooting wide, but I felt that even with great lenses, the difference in quality between my 1DMKII's wasn't worth the sacrifice in speed and interface. I sold my 5d, and am far happier now with my additional 1's.... though I'll probably get a 40 for underwater and additional long lens use.

And as for being different, in the sports photo game, that's about the worst thing you could ask for. Its a lot easier to get help troubleshooting or loaners from colleagues that use the same gear as you. Need a 400/2.8 for a couple minutes to snap that portrait you need for deadline? Probably a lot easier to borrow one from the guy next to you than to go searching around. The majority of pro shooters and photo departments wholesale dumped nikon a few years ago with the 1DMKII, and I can't find a single person who regrets it, or is considering swapping back. For hobbyists, the brand decision is a tough one because there are so many good options out there. For pj pros, you basically just need to pick which Canon you want.

IMHO Nikon still makes decent stuff (with noisy sensors), but the lack of a contingency on-site isn't worth the "different" factor. I have leant out many things to coworkers over the years, including one of my MKII's today to a friend who took a hard spill on his camera and needs to send it in. Plus, CPS (Canon Professional Services) is absolutely fantastic, SPRINT to your mailbox once you get a camera to enroll. They'll even lend you lenses to try if you need something special for a day, or think you're gonna buy one but need a test drive first.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM   #29
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Wanstead View Post
Hi Lisa,

Any of your 40d photo to share?

Regards
Leigh
http://darkdragon.smugmug.com/gallery/3572923#203025332

Note that what's up there as of right now was taken with the stock lens (28-185mm) on the first day of owning the camera. I hope to get better photos this weekend, now that I'm starting to learn my camera more.

Last edited by Lisa Shofner; October 1st, 2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added link
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM   #30
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NZ
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner View Post
http://darkdragon.smugmug.com/gallery/3572923#203025332

Note that what's up there as of right now was taken with the stock lens (28-185mm) on the first day of owning the camera. I hope to get better photos this weekend, now that I'm starting to learn my camera more.
That is quite cool animal ;-)

Can you post original photo from the camera?

TIA

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network