EX1 Tripod selection - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 1st, 2008, 10:18 PM   #106
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Mann View Post
Hi Jenny

I got my Sachtler DV 6 this week with cf legs. Great combo! You should be able to get rid of the bounce back effect by balancing the camera correctly and getting the right positions of the counterbalance knob and the vertical and horizontal fluid dumping settings. My EX stays perfectly in every position of the head without bouncing back.
rainer,

how much is the dv6sb with carbon legs, i gather the speed-lock 75cf (#4588) goes for there in germany?
i am leaning toward a set myself after testing it at a store last week.
that quick flip of the legs is better than my gitzo's.
the way the 10 steps counterbalance set while the camera is on the head is very fast and allow for fine control. sweet.

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #107
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Fabienke View Post
I am curious ... if there is anything higher quality that accepts that kind of mounting
I'd also be interested to know what options there are for a better-quality head than the 503HDV which will also attach by a 3/8-16 screw.

I currently have a Manfrotto 701RC2 on a 756XB tripod. I'd like to keep the 756 but I now need a head which will support the EX1 at around 3kg (6.5lbs).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've heard mixed reviews about the 503 and wondered if there's anything better available.
John Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM   #108
Regular Crew

Plate for EX3?

In the video Philip Bloom presents on
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...r=sony_pmw-ex3
, I can see the EX3 fitted on to something that looks like Sony VCT-U14 tripod attachment plate. Has EX3 brackets for this plate? Philip, what gear did you use?

Sony product ref:
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowP...tegory=Tripods
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM   #109
Trustee

IN THE UK THIS http://www.videogear.co.uk/index.php...&productId=676

in the US http://web.mac.com/philip.bloom/Bloo...od_mounts.html
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM   #110
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
Hi guys,

Are you looking for something like this? A plate that you can mount under the PMW-EX1, so that you mount it on a Sony VCT-U14 or VCT-14 tripod adapter. Take a look at the link below.

Press Shooter ST-1

Hope this helps!
Thanks for that link, that device looks superb, a great idea.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:37 PM   #111
Regular Crew

And, I would love it if Letus would sell a short version of the up down risers for there original rails... :)

Scott K.
Scott Karlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM   #112
Trustee

that's a good idea. Have you asked them?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM   #113
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
that's a good idea. Have you asked them?
Yes, I sent them Email. Would be very cool if they could do it, or already have.

Scott K.
Scott Karlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #114
New Boot

Tripod Conundrum - Too Many Hats - EX1

I think I might be looking for a solution that doesn't exist, but I wanted to chime in with everyone here to see if I'm missing something...

I have an EX1 that I use for two, fairly different purposes.

1) Documentary work in third world countries where I will be carrying the equipment over long distances for most of the time (light, simple setup is obviously needed).

2) Fictional shorts with a mini35 with full rail system that's fairly heavy itself.

Is there a system that can do both on-the-go documentary work and support a mini35 system that isn't over $3k?

HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THE MILLER DV20 SYSTEM AND A MINI35 RIG?

From what I've found so far...
For the documentary work, the Miller DV20 system with the Solo Carbon Fiber legs seems to be a sure bet, but while at B&H, one of them said that the Miller head doesn't have enough surface area to stabilize a full mini35 rig - so I'm not sure if that would work with the fictional shorts.

I'm looking at maybe a Sachtler DV-6SB as a head, then finding some good carbon fiber solo legs from either Miller, Manfrotto, or Gitzo to attach them to if the Miller DV20 system won't work? But will that work?

Any thoughts or experiences would be INCREDIBLY helpful as this is my first $500+ tripod purchase so I'm not very knowledgeable.
Zack Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #115
Inner Circle

Hi Zack..................

May I get a couple of points clarified before making any suggestions?

The words "I use" in the second line of your post implies (obliquely) that you use some form of camera support system already.

May I ask what it is and how you have found it in practice?

The reason I ask is the dreaded "EX1" in the header (nowt wrong with an EX1, substitute any other HD camera and the effect is the same - HD camera? Support? Uh Oh!).

What format is your final product, SD or HD?

SD is far and away (light years) more forgiving of camera support failings than HD.

How heavy, exactly, is your EX1/ mini35/ lens(s)/ rail system?

This bit isn't a suggestion, just a word of advice, based on perceived wisdom, both from users and Miller themselves - the Solo's do not, in the main, get rave reviews from HD shooters O/P'ing in HD.

That brilliant single stick design, whilst a miracle of engineering, was never going to be able to match twin stick suports with regard to wind up/ down/ rigidity.

You never want to pan/ knock/ bump/ breath on camera/ sticks, you'll be fine with them.

I'll await further info before saying another word.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #116
New Boot

Thank you Chris for the response.

I have a very basic, prosumer tripod at the moment that I find is a terrible experience to say the least. However, I have used a few Manfrotto systems before, and they're not bad but leave a lot of room to be desired.

Most of my material will be mastered in 1080p and the delivery is 720p usually, so those little vibrations, bumps, and movements will come out.

The lens system is fairly heavy, I'd say probably around 13-15 lbs total with the camera and rig. Without the rig (when I'm doing documentary work) the camera is about 6 lbs with battery.
Zack Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #117
Inner Circle

OK, well............

I think you've answered the "solution that doesn't exist" question for me.

There is no, zero, nada, zilch etc etc etc solution which is both light to transport and as solid as a brick wall to keep that HD camera still.

My best suggestion (well, actually, my ONLY suggestion) is to go for the best solution your wallet can afford plus 20%, and think of hiring native bearers for the third world stuff.

Bottom line, the better the tripod, the heavier it's going to be. Ditto the head. You can shed a couple of pounds going CF, but a decent one will still bust your whatsits on a long treck.

If you're prepared to spend $3k +, any of the top names can field a pretty good line up.

My favourite (and, IMHO, the best camera support available for less than $15K, but then, I'm biased - I have one!) is this:

Vinten | 3498-3 ENG/EFP 2-Stage Fibertec Tripod Legs | 34983

Much to my utter amazement, B&H still have them on offer even tho' they were discontinued last Christmas.

Here's my review of same:

Review: Vinten FiberTec video tripod -- everything you want to know. - The Digital Video Information Network

They will, most certainly, when married with an appropriate head, bust your whatsits on a long treck.

Solid? Hah! You could jack a Mack truck up on 'em.

Rigid? Makes anything made by Manfrotto look like a toy (and a good many of the more worthy opposition, come to that).

Check 'em out.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #118
Regular Crew

Go with something solid, Sachtler, Vinten or Miller, my experience is limited to sacthler and larger vinten heads.

For my own work, with a Z1 at the moment, I use a DV6SB on a pair of 2stage alu sachtler legs. I regret that i didn't buy the Speedlock CF legs, but the budget didn't go that far since i needed a hard shipping case for travel. And it's not the lightest setup, CF ain't that much lighter either, but it's a pleasure to use.

I would take a look at either DV6SB or DV8SB, with either 75mm(lighter) or 100mm(stiffer legs) bowl. Tested a Ex1 with Vocas MB250 on my system, just dial the SB and of you go. A good tripod should be seen as an investment as it will outlast you camera by at least two years.

And yes, Manfrotto and Libec feel like toys compared to even the smaller high end tripods.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #119
Trustee

Hi Zack,

I just recently got a Sachtler DV6 SB witht the CF Speedlock legs. I was using a Cartoni and the Sachtler is really a huge jump up. Even with teh CF legs it isn't light. But most fo the time I'm not moving too much and I usually don't have to hike too far with it.

I use it with a lightly loaded Canon XH A1 set up. I also had a Miller DS10 set up I was using. I think the Miller and the Sachtler legs are about equal. The head is a different story. All I can really say about the DV6 SB is WOW. Super smooth. I was torn between the DV6 SB or the Vinten Vision 3. I tried both and they were both very good, head and shoulders above anything else I tried. The deciding factor for me was that I couldn't get the Vinten with an above ground spreader. So if I wanted to add it, it would have cost another $800.

I'm happy with the Sachtler,

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #120
Regular Crew

Looking for best tripod

I have now a Sony XDCAM-EX1 camera but my tripod is a cheap one a little bit shaky.
I am looking for a very good tripod with a light weight and efficient and easy to use with fluid head, but my budget is limited to $1,000.
Can someone advise me?
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads