Tripod for the XL1 / XL1S - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 10th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #136
RED Code Chef

That depends on a lot of things ofcourse. As with everything
there is never a best thing. It always depends on things like:

- your budget
- what kind of shooting you do
- etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #137
New Boot

I would like to keep the price under $1000 and get something that would provide some smooth pans and tilts.
Waco Oguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #138
Wrangler

There are plenty of "right" answers to this question.

I went with a Bogen 3246 Black Professional Tripod with 3066 Fluid Head, and I think this fits your criteria. It's not too heavy, not too light, not too cheap, and not too pricey. The head will handle the weight of your camera or the weight of a jib arm (a "crane") if you choose to buy one later.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #139
Warden

Do a search, this topic has been covered pretty extensively. I would recommend, with your budget, a Sachtler, Vinten or Miller tripod. In a slightly lower range Gitzo and Bogen (Manfrotto) offer good alternatives. I personally use a Vinten, but have used all of the rest except Miller. A tripod is the most important accessory to the camera. Buy the very best you can afford.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #140
Regular Crew

This is what I use. Works very well. You won't be let down.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/179077/MIDS10/REG/3951
Scott Burbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #141
Wrangler

Looks nice, but that's a lot of money for a head (especially one that only supports 10 pounds)--what will he have left for sticks?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:53 PM   #142
Regular Crew

Well then go here and get both. Sticks and head. Under a $1000 (accept tax)

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c...t.A/id.2386/.f
Scott Burbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #143
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

B&H sells the Miller DS-10 with a soft case (not included in the other package) for $960. It's an excellent tripod, head and case kit (I own one). I highly recommend it for a basic XL1 rig.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #144
Regular Crew

Tripod for XL1s

For many years I used a Vinten Vision 12 tripod under my Betacam SP. Now that I've switched full-time to the XL1s I'm searching for a tripod with many of the Vinten's features but without the weight...extends to 5'6" tall, fluid head with neutral balancing, camera quick-release. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #145
Major Player

Any Bogen-Manfrotto or Gitzo tripod is good, along with Bogen fluid heads of the 500 series. I personally use a Bogen 3126 tripod for light-weight work, or a Gitzo Studex Pro, which is as stable as any Vinten tripod, and a hell of a lot cheaper. Bogen's 503 (and I think 505) head has that neutral position feature, the 501 does not. Quick release plates are pretty much standard.
Once again they're much cheaper than Vinten products.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #146
Warden

Having owned all the major brands except Miller, I would have to say that if you're used to Vinten quality, neither Bogen or Gitzo will deliver. The pan and tilt movements aren't even in the same league for smoothness and consistency under all conditions. If you can afford the Vinten tripods, you should stick with them. The Vision 3 has received high praise by many users. You might want to search the better brands, such as Vinten, Miller and Sachtler.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #147
Wrangler

Mike,

Look into specifics on the Bogen/Manfrotto line before you buy. In case you haven't seen it, on another thread here Mike Rehmus had this to say about the 516 head I recently bought for use w/XL1s:

"What you've just found out is that it really isn't a fluid head in the traditional sense, it's a friction head with some thick silicon grease caught between two disks to smooth it out a bit."

Here's the reference:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19934

That said, for basic work I've used a Bogen 3126 head (like Steve) on 3011 legs and been pretty happy, but then I'm working my way up--I don't have the comparison factor that you do. :)

Although...we did rent an old Bogen 3066 head and tripod last month. Hated it, but I think maybe it had seen better days.

Edit: Jeff's post just beat mine. He's so right (as usual :). What I use would drive you crazy!
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:14 PM   #148
Trustee

I'd go for the Vinten Vision 3 and carbon fibre two
stage legs.
Old February 1st, 2004, 08:11 PM   #149
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I second Jacques' recommendation. I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3066, Miller DS10, a Sachtler DV-6 and a Vinten Vision 3. My Vinten dusts all of the others. As Jeff noted, Vinten is in a league of it's own. But, of course, it's expensive. At approx. $2,200, it might be a stretch. The Sachtler DV-6 would be my 2nd choice. It's quite good and built to last. Ditto the Miller DS-10, although it's a notch or two down from the DV-6.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:54 PM   #150
Regular Crew

I read several positive reports here about the Vinten Vision 3. I am seriously considering ordering this fluid head from B&H for my XL-1S. There are several carbon fibre legs available. Can someone please suggest the best 2 stage carbon fibre legs by model # for the XL-1S? Also, do you suggest a bag by PortaBrace, or Vinten for the tripod? (I use a PortaBrace CT3 for the XL-1S already). Thank you!
John C Heid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads