Small HD Finally is here - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #91
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
I woke up this morning, checked emails, and noticed an email from UPS saying that my SmallHD delivery is scheduled for Tuesday!

Now I'll be tracking the dang package through the whole weekend...

Thanks Dale
same here. yay!
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #92
Regular Crew

I also got mail from UPS.

Odered from HUN, delivery is on 5th of Jun. (order N: ...203)
Miklos Konczol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #93
Regular Crew

Tuesday delivery for me as well...
Leo Versola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM   #94
Inner Circle

Number 45 is in customs in wennipeg 400 miles east of me, should be in hand wed or thursday.

now I am anxious.

Have a steady cam shoot next weekend, will use it then for sure.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM   #95
Regular Crew

It's a Winner

OK, it’s a winner. Just received the long awaited SmallHD monitor, and did a quick comparison test with my Totevision, last generation monitor. Note, the Totevision was a definite value in shooting HDV with a Canon XH A1, however it was a lower resolution screen.

I set up two HV30 cameras shooting the same outdoor subject, simultaneously connecting the ToteVision and SmallHD. The difference was incredible, better color, much sharper… lot more detail. Tested both HDMI and component inputs.

I’m sold just based on the image, which is good since the menu/ control system is somewhat challenging.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Great to hear Terry! Are you able to post any side by side shots?
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM   #97
Major Player

mine comes tomorrow. my heart is already racing :)
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:13 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Justin,
Sorry, I’m all tied up getting ready for a gig this Friday and my time is too limited. I’m sure there will be lots of pictures and info shortly. Just wanted to say that the image was far superior than expected. The Totevision is Ikan class 800x480 LED monitor and as I said, is a noticeable improvement from camera LCD’s. I have also used a cheap Poloroid 16” HDTV, and the Small HD is a vast improvement over both of them. It will interesting to read the comments about the control functionality, but I plan to just set it up once and forget about it.
The wait will be worth it.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:18 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Great to hear; I've been using an 800x480 monitor and was debating on buying one of the new Marshall monitors (for the Focus-in-Red and False Color features) or the DP1 for its higher resolution. We'll see tomorrow but I'm fairly certain I'm going to be very happy that I went with the DP1 instead...

Last edited by Leo Versola; June 2nd, 2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:19 AM   #100
Regular Crew

Duplicate post.

Last edited by Leo Versola; June 2nd, 2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:49 AM   #101
Regular Crew

Duplicate post.

Last edited by Leo Versola; June 2nd, 2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM   #102
Regular Crew

I'm setting mine up just now. The menu buttons are confusing as all get out, and I'm trying to figure out which input equates to Component?

Ahhh got it. Connector wasn't seated in the EX1. Working onward...

It is up and going now. My greatest dissatisfaction is the menu buttons, which are laid out in an unhelpful horizontal line. The most terrible aspect of this arrangement is that the POWER button is one of these 5. It should be well-separated from them in position, I think. I'd most like to see the power button on the connector-edge or on one of the sides of the screen or perhaps on the front in the lower right.

I know little of setting up calibration. I await someone's expert flowchart for doing this on the DP1. Perhaps SmallHD should place this on their site.

PS, just in case someone is as daft as I was, the Component is called YPbPr (I'm a newb), and on the EX1's menus this is called YPbPr/SDI simply because the functions there apply to both interfaces. Incidentally, setting the EX1's "display" on or off means should the menu and other icon stuff show up on the DP1 or not. But no one can be as new as me, can they?

tone
Anthony Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM   #103
Regular Crew

This has got to be the best Tuesday ever. First the firmware update for manual control for our 5D and now the SmallHD came in. Still fooling around with it but I am very satisfied so far. Here are some pictures. Now to go try it outside...
Attached Thumbnails
Small HD Finally is here-smallhd-1.jpg   Small HD Finally is here-smallhd-2.jpg  

Small HD Finally is here-smallhd-3.jpg   Small HD Finally is here-smallhd-4.jpg  

John Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM   #104
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Saunders View Post
This has got to be the best Tuesday ever. First the firmware update for manual control for our 5D and now the SmallHD came in. Still fooling around with it but I am very satisfied so far. Here are some pictures. Now to go try it outside...
nice John! I'm still waiting on UPS today, it's driving me NUTS!!!

Anyway, I was just wondering what purpose (if any) the tripod collar serves on your 70-200 (i see it's turned upside down - just to get it out of the way?) I know this may sound dumb, but you know you can remove it from the lens right? It'll save ya a bit of weight :-)

Enjoy! I can't WAIT for my DP1 to get here *face glued to window*
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM   #105
Regular Crew

Yeah I know ;) I still use it quite a bit for stills and just leave it on. I'm just lazy I guess. I have to drill and tap an extra redrock micromount and put my noga arm on for the monitor than I will be all set and increase the weight even more. Oh and I can't forget the French flags for the wow factor....
John Saunders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software