Small HD Finally is here - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #196
Inner Circle

The Verdict

Soooo, I'm thinking of getting the Ikan | V8000HDMI-S LCD Monitor Kit | B&H Photo Video when I started reading this thread. Any opinions on what I would be giving up with one over the other?
Old July 12th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #197
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Any opinions on what I would be giving up with one over the other?
A lot of resolution.

The DP1 is 1280 x 720
The Ikan is 800 x 480

DP1 has 2.4 times more pixels.
Old July 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #198
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
A lot of resolution.

The DP1 is 1280 x 720
The Ikan is 800 x 480

Thanks Dean,

Another issue will be mounting, I have a very busy hotshoe, light and mic, so I'll need some type of other mountage. maybe a tripod mount for now.
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #199
Major Player

I cant tell if you were asking about mounting solutions or if there is a difficulty mounting the ikan.

My favorite solution so far is a noga arm and a manfrotto QR

Noga | DG-1105 Locking Accessory Arm w/Shoe Mount | NO-DG1105-SA

and

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 357 Pro Quick Release Adapter | 357

The quick release has threaded holes in the side that allow you to store your camera screws. Instead, you can thread the noga arm into that. I personally leave the whole QR assembly intact and put yet another qr plate beneath it. That way the screen can go with the camera if you want, or you can release the other plate instead and leave the screen behind.

Prolly a million ways to mount a monitor, but thats my fave at the moment. cheers.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #200
Inner Circle

Good response from DP1 folks

I emailed them with some questions, very nice and fast response. Decisions........hehe, I'll probably get it. Anyone have 800.00 bucks I can borrow.
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #201
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
A lot of resolution.

The DP1 is 1280 x 720
The Ikan is 800 x 480

Furthermore, Ikan is plastic, DP1 is unibody aluminum construction... so go figure ;-)

enjoy!
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #202
Regular Crew

Hi :)

I received my dp1 today and have to say it's really wonderful.
Especially in conjuction with a 35mm adapter I can now really see what I am doing :)

Also the criticised menu navigation is absolutely no problem to me. It took maybe 5 minutes learning to use it.

The only thing that is a fact is the heavy color banding and noise in lowlight situations.
We discussed that already here and it might be a PAL-only thing. But it's definitely there.

No big problem to me as I am mostly shooting properly exposed footage.
Maybe it's really a software thing that could be fixed in the near future.

The battery system (like expected) is ok. But having to use that extra cable from the battery to the power in seems a bit unprofessional. Usually a batterybracked has the connectors integrated I would say. But again, no big deal. It's ok and VERY light :)

So I'll see tomorrow how the whole thing behaves in the field while shooting.

Thanks for all the help here with deciding to buy one :)

Peter

Last edited by Peter Rixner; July 16th, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #203
Inner Circle

I will have to wait, they are backordered, out of stock till next week.........drat.
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #204
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rixner View Post
Hi :)
The only thing that is a fact is the heavy color banding and noise in lowlight situations.
We discussed that already here and it might be a PAL-only thing. But it's definitely there.
It took a bit of convincing for me to come around, but if you change the brightness up to 58, not only do the bands get almost totally minimized, but the tone of the blacks very closely matches the professional monitors I've put the dp1 against. It will absolutely look washed out in comparison to the superblacks of the default setting, but you end up with full details in the dark areas and a more accurate contrast. What finally turned me around was an engineer pointing out to me that 0ire doesn't exist in many places in the real world, and no places where you'd be shooting. If you try it, i recommend you make the setting change then go away and come back fresh, as its hard to get used to immediately after looking at the overly contrasty default.

Quote:
The battery system (like expected) is ok. But having to use that extra cable from the battery to the power in seems a bit unprofessional. Usually a batterybracked has the connectors integrated I would say. But again, no big deal. It's ok and VERY light :)
I dunno that i'd go so far as saying "unprofessional". Its a bit fiddly, but I certainly see far wonkier things hooked to cameras on professional sets. One thing definitely unprofessional about the batteries is the price. $60 would barely get you an anton bauer sticker, much less a battery and charger. hehe. It was clearly a tradeoff between size/weight/price/standards. My big concern is losing that wee cable. Been trying out different solutions for attaching it to the battery or to the monitor. I plan to buy 3 more of the batteries, and hopefully that means 3 more of the wee cables so i can return to my normal state of losing things but having backups.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #205
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean View Post
My big concern is losing that wee cable.
My batteries came with two cables each - a short and a long - so for two batteries I have three battery to monitor cables, and I only use one. If I happen to lose one, it's a non-factor in my opinion, but being as I've got it hooked to the monitor all the time I doubt I'll even lose one anytime soon!
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #206
Inner Circle

Quote:
Its a bit fiddly, but I certainly see far wonkier things hooked to cameras on professional sets.
Are you saying my car battery and 79 Chevrolet headlights are wonky? hehe. Sorry, it's funny and it went through my brain.
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #207
Major Player

Quote:
It took a bit of convincing for me to come around, but if you change the brightness up to 58, not only do the bands get almost totally minimized, but the tone of the blacks very closely matches the professional monitors I've put the dp1 against.
I'm not tried any "pro" monitors but to me the difference between the DP1 with brightness at 58 and what I see on my macbook is so far apart that using a monitor is counter productive. Yes you can focus with it, but you'd have to totally ignore the way the image looks in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Small HD Finally is here-brightness-58.jpg  
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #208
Regular Crew

58 is far too much. I know it's recommended for the banding issue, but You're right.
You cannot really judge the image then.

So I'll stay with what the colourbars tell me to have in brigtness values.
And thats almost everything set to 50.

I hope the banding thing is fixed soon.
Although I am afraid, that the monitor then has to be sent back for upgrading. We'll see ...

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #209
New Boot

Are there any news concerning the dark area blocking and banding issues? Other than that I've been very pleased with the quality of the image that the DP1 boasts off. It's so easy to get accurate focus when doing handheld. The dark blocky noise just ruins the image when shooting in low key situations. Of course the blocking is only on the monitor's image, not in the actual image but I bought the monitor to judge the images that I'm getting.
Lauri Hakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #210
Regular Crew

Like everything else you get what you pay for, while I really like the smallHD I do have some gripes. The glossy screen is a big problem shooting exteriors. The control buttons are a joke, The amount of times I have turned the monitor off while trying to adjust things is driving me nuts, The OSD controls block out what you are trying to see!... and the batteries give up without any warning.

However, for the price I'm happy.
Neil McClure is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software