Go Pro cameras - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 10th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #76
Major Player

Re: Go Pro cameras

Thanks Art, I'll try that, I hadn't updated the firmware as I understood that it was only necessary to use the WiFi app, but I'll give it a try.

Chris, I appreciate what you say, I never intended it to be my main, or even 'B' source. I don't know how Philip will go on when he attempts a GoPro only wedding.

I read across in the GoPro threads that you've removed the dome from the case to prevent fogging, would you advise doing that; looking through my footage from Saturday I can see that it fogged after 15 minutes or so, that footage is completely shot.
I might end up just using this for car chase footage as they speed off from the church to the reception.

Oh, the overhead shots during the dancing are good though I should have gone for full wide. Still this was just just the first outing.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:26 AM   #77
Inner Circle

Hi George

The dome on only my skeleton housing is removed...if the weather is bad I'll use the waterproof one ...Someone else suggested using the camera totally removed from the case so I met the idea halfway and the last shoot definately had no fogging. However I never used any of the footage!!

Yeah you do need to update the firmware for video video..it never occured to tell you as I did an update a while back and video out was fine.

I did a videoshoot at a golf resort in June and we had the use of little electric carts to use to speed around the course...as we sped off around the greens and fairways I realised I never bought the Hero ...talk about dumb!!! I have more shoots there in the new season so I'll make sure the cam is fastened to the cart straight after the reception!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #78
Major Player

Chris.

I don't get outdoor weddings here (well I have had one) so all of my use would be indoors so the weather wouldn't be a problem, but you, or someone, mentioned that the coating on the lens is very susceptible to scratching, that worries me, I guess it means extremely careful handling as without the dome it is very vulnerable. How do you attach it when using it without the case?

Following Art's advise I'm attempting to upgrade the firmware. I say attempting 'cause this is my fourth try and the fourth 'Firmware Update Failed' notice. I've read that this updating procedure is a big problem, any tips?
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #79
Inner Circle

Hi George

I updated a while back and as far as I remember it works OK!! Maybe someone else has tips....I think I'll stick with using the camera inside a skeleton case with the dome off (I also drilled a few holes in the top and bottom to create an airflow) With the Dome off the lens is pretty protected still.

I'm not too sure how they attach a bare camera...double sided tape??? The skeleton housing works great!!

I'll try mine with the latest update and see if it updates OK and let you know!

Chris
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #80
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
Following Art's advise I'm attempting to upgrade the firmware. I say attempting 'cause this is my fourth try and the fourth 'Firmware Update Failed' notice. I've read that this updating procedure is a big problem, any tips?
It didn't work for me so I emailed them and they sent me the file to install...straightforward...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:32 AM   #81
Major Player

Thanks Renton.

I've just turned off the UAC and Avast! and it worked. It must have been firewall/antivirus that was stopping it. Firmware updated.

addendum: I've tried it on the monitor but I'm still getting a scrambled picture.

Last edited by George Kilroy; July 10th, 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #82
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

I couldn't update Version 8.1 at all. I put a 32GB card in and also disabled UAC, Antivirus and the Firewall and it still comes up with an error.

George?? Doesn't appear that yours worked either if the image is still scrambled!!!

Chris
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #83
Major Player

It tells me that it is up to date. First off I should have realised that the update set it back to shipping default (NTSC) but I changed it back to PAL 1080p25 but still not good.
Chris was your composite image okay to begin with or did you have to do the original update first before you could see it?
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #84
Major Player

For anyone who may be interested in my latest outing with the Hero2 I've posted some comments (and pictures) and asked some questions over on the Gopro forum.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/new-micr...ml#post1743719 #24

I'd be interested in comments from anyone who uses GoPros for theatre work if they have come across similar situations and if they have found a solution or a better way of using them.
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #85
Inner Circle

Just to show that there are circumstances in which I think the GoPro can be a great asset when shooting a wedding here is our latest highlights video from a large Jewish wedding we filmed at the Riverside Plaza Hotel in London a few weeks ago. The Thames Room where the ceremony was held is wonderfully well lit with vast windows overlooking the river. I put a GoPro up in the chuppah looking down & you can see at 2:40, 2:50, 3:00 & 3:05 that in good light the image quality of the GoPro is pretty decent. The point of view certainly makes for a great shot of the groom stamping on the glass. At 3:00 you can spot another GoPro on a GorillaPod fixed on the metal rail in front of the window behind the chuppah. The sharp-eyed among you will also have spotted Lord Jonathan Sacks the Chief Rabbi officiating.

Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 02:13 AM   #86
Major Player

Nigel. In contrast to the problematic GoPro images I got at the theatre shoot these shots are very impressive, in fact they look to my eyes clearer than the shots surrounding them. Just goes to show that in good lighting GoPros work very well.
Just a side point, is there a reason for the cool blue grading in some of the shots, it stands out noticeably against the 'truer' colours of the GoPro.
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:55 AM   #87
Inner Circle

Hi George

I agree too!! The Hero looks really pristine..I guess the difference might be that the main cameras might have a colour profile that creates a "cinematic look" whilst the GoPro only can produce a "video look" ..The cinematic look if often made (intentionally) a lot more contrasty hence the difference.

I'm sure Nigel will tell you the reason. He shoots on a range of cams including the new Canon 5D III

It really is a big ask to expect the Hero to perform well in a dark and contrasty theatre...Dunno about the UK, but here a GoPro is a mere 1/17th of the price of a JVC HM750 with Fuji lens!!! My Hero cost me $399 and an HM750 here is around $6850 (before tax too!!)

The nice thing is you can add them without breaking the bank and you don't HAVE to use the footage but more and more I find myself adding in the GoPro footage here and there cos I love it!!!

Chris
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:48 AM   #88
Inner Circle

We had already picked that up as it looks like Vimeo compression accentuated the colour differences that we were aware of between the clips but looked near enough in Premiere. While the Thames Room was very well lit by daylight it was a blustery day so clouds were whizzing across the sun so maintaining correct white balance (& exposure) was a bit of a nightmare. The GoPro auto-everything actually handled it pretty well although it was a bit too heavily saturated compared to the other cameras. We have re-visited the colour correction & got it a lot more even now.

The GoPro works very well in bright daylight which is why all the surfing & snowboarding videos shot with it look so good.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:32 PM   #89
Inner Circle

Hi Nigel

Yeah that would change it quite a lot. You also have to remember that a bride wouldn't pick that up in a thousand years cos she is looking at what's going on during her wedding not technical issues. Regardless, I think you did a really nice job there, the bride must be pretty happy!!

Just for interest what were the other cameras in the shoot??

Chris
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:41 AM   #90
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Nigel

Yeah that would change it quite a lot. You also have to remember that a bride wouldn't pick that up in a thousand years cos she is looking at what's going on during her wedding not technical issues. Regardless, I think you did a really nice job there, the bride must be pretty happy!!
The bride was very particular & we had several iterations before she was totally happy but just received this from her in an email
I am EXTREMELY happy with the video and Alice has very kindly given her time and dedication to use her professional skills to perfect this video! I absolutely love it now and feel that it really incorporates everyone's emotions, the atmosphere of the event and the beauty of the environment. The video totally builds up the Bedekken and Chuppah so amazingly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Just for interest what were the other cameras in the shoot??

Chris
Lots!:-) We are not Jewish & had never even attended a Jewish wedding until about 18 months ago. They are hard work but such fun. We have since shot six or seven very traditional Orthodox weddings all on a similar scale (5* London hotel & 250+ guests) & have another couple booked for later this year. Apart from Alice & myself there were two other camera operators & we used at various times Canon 5D2, 5D3, XF105 & C300. With all that is going on at these large Jewish weddings it's really not over the top to throw so many resources at them & is a nice chance to break out the big crane & other gear that we usually don't get a chance to use at smaller weddings.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques