Go Pro cameras - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 17th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Go Pro cameras

This is a Greek wedding from yesterday

Old June 17th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #32
New Boot

Regarding the F.O.V. choices (I apologize if anyone said this already, I just skimmed the thread).

The medium and narrow angle options merely crop the footage so there is a big price to pay in resolution. That said, on the medium setting it is a decent trade off because although you lose pixels it is before the compression (at 17Mbps), so you get less resolution but you don't have to magnify the compression artifacts by cropping during the edit.

This wedding trailer has two gopro hero 2 shots mixed with footage from HMC150, HMC40 and Canon T2i (550d).
Jim Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Hi Art...nice video there...how many shots did you take with the GOPRO Hero 2? are all the extreme wide shots taken with the Hero 2? What did you use to shoot the main wedding? It looks so clean and lively.
I just started using a Canon XF300 for my weddings but I mix footage taken with a Canon T3i.
I'm wondering if a HERO 2 would add a new dimension/feeling to my videos..
thanks
Erick
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #34
Major Player

Looks to me like the Go Pro suction Cup is identical to the Delkin ones...though of course there is only one of them...

I've now received my GoPro complete with the suction cup. It is not identical to the Delkin ones. The GoPro one has a proprietory join with which to attach the camera, no doubt specially made to withstand the pressures that this apparatus encounters. You can however attach the GoPro tripod adapter to the GoPro suction cup arm and it then has a 1/4"20 female socket and can be used in any of the usual ways n.b. stick it on a lightstand / magic arm / tabletop tripod etc.

The Delkin already has a 1/4"20 male adapter so you can use it straight into the GoPro tripod adapter.

You could modify a GoPro tripod adapter by fixing your own extra long piece of 1/4"20 into its female socket so as to change its gender from female to male.

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/tripod-mount/

The Delkin is a longer bracket and rather more configurable than the GoPro in addition to having two suction cups - which themselves can be set at different angles such as those found on a sloping metal vehicle body. It is more configurable than its Delkin brother the Gator, which really needs a small ball and socket head for maximum wiggle room:

Fat Gecko "Gator" Clamp Camera Mount

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
Looks to me like the Go Pro suction Cup is identical to the Delkin ones...though of course there is only one of them...

I've now received my GoPro complete with the suction cup. It is not identical to the Delkin ones. The GoPro one has a proprietory join with which to attach the camera, no doubt specially made to withstand the pressures that this apparatus encounters...
I was referring to the actual suction cup, not any arms or the various means of attaching cameras...sorry...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #36
Inner Circle

For those DIY guys

You can make a brilliant suction cup device (two actually) by going to your auto spares shop and buying a "dent puller" ..Mine cost $15.00 and the two cups can hold at least 100kg!!! I have a car windshield rig using the twin cups that holds my 8lb cameras quite safely so they will hold a GoPro!!!

The GoPro one is rated for aircraft use up to 200MPH!!! That's one tough sucker!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #37
Major Player

I've been debating getting one recently, seen a few go cheap on craigslist. Cool for fun shots, doing some videos for a summer camp and stuff, but also nice to leave as discrete cameras, or easy time-lapse cameras. I was wondering if they were strictly auto cameras or if you had any control over white balance-fstop-so on. Loving seeing the examples of how you guys used them! That filling the glass shot if my favorite for sure.
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:55 AM   #38
Trustee

Got mine today. Filmed a short video successfully onto 32GB SD card. Attempted to update firmware from 08-12-70 to 08-12-124. Repeatedly failed the update...saying I needed to install SD card. SD card is installed. Anyone else had this issue?

(Like 'Jeb Corliss grinding the crack' with three Go Pro's on him. Don't think I'll try that...Anyone for filming a base jumping wedding? Would be over quick. Maybe the marriage would be also...)

EDIT: Fixed by GoPro...very fast...

Last edited by Renton Maclachlan; June 21st, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:52 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
I just started using at weddings and I can see how useful they can be, The cool thing is they'e so small you can stick them anywhere. I put one up high on a lightstand for this beach wedding and got some good safety footage. At 2:45 in the clip, I was moviing the light stand with the GoPro and saw the bride was about to throw her bouquet so I quickly hoisted the cam over head. Lucky shot but couldn't have got it without something like the GoPro.

Art
Nicole & Jon Wedding Highlights on Vimeo
Hey Art, you shot that whole thing on the GoPro?
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:08 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Hey Art, you shot that whole thing on the GoPro?
No- I had a standard fisheye going too. You can see some of the GoPro shots at 1:19, 1:45-1:55, 2:29, 2:33, 2:44

Art
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #41
Major Player

Well hell . . . I just couldn't stand the pressure anymore and I bought one. At the rehearsal last night for the wedding I shot today, I simply had nowhere to place a camera in the back for a wide shot -- a tripod would have been in the way no matter where I put it, and there was nothing to clamp a magic arm to.

So I decided this morning to run to Target and get the Hero 2, then went to Best Buy for the Wifi BacPac thing with the remote. Needless to say, I had very little time to charge and set everything up, as the wedding was an hour away.

My experience was very positive, except for one big nuisance: the firmware updates. None of them have gone right. For the GoPro body itself, I had to resort to a manual upgrade, as the one through their proprietary software kept failing. Then, when I tried to update the Wifi BacPac, it simply froze mid-update. I ran out of time to mess with it, and just left the BacPac and remote at home.

I'm impressed with the results. For a tiny camera that I suction onto a wall, this is simply amazing. I don't know how well it will mix with my HMC40's, but I'll make it work.

I attached a screen grab. I love the wide angle, nearly fisheye look. With some noise reduction and levels correction, I think it will turn out pretty decent. And yes, that's my weird head in the bottom right corner with the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Go Pro cameras-screenshot.jpg  
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Hi Corey

They are good aren't they... I like the fact that you have nothing to lose running a hero and a lot to gain!!

I don't shoot at the very wide angle but the middle one (I think it's 127 degrees???) Yeah I have had stuff in the shot that I never realised the very wide angle would get to but it still doesn't detract from the overall shot!

I'm shooting weddings on two HMC82's which are basically HMC40's in a shoulder mount and XLR audio and the Hero mixes in very well!! (I gave up on the new AC-130..just didn't cut it for weddings!!)

In Summer, watch out for fogging on the GoPro if you use the waterproof case!! I had a few outdoor weddings where the case fogged up so I bought a skeleton case with the open sides, and just to make sure I take off the front dome so the camera can breathe! Never had an issue in Churches but outdoors might be an issue as I run mine from way before the ceremony..then do the briidal congrats and only then get back to turn the Hero off so it sometimes runs for nearly 2 hours!!!

John Knight uses the camera inside the limo too..I haven't tried that but there are dozens of innovation uses for it!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #43
Trustee

Used mine yesterday at an outfit called Adrenaline Forest where you climb around on all sorts of scary wire bridges and heaps of flying foxes up to about 30m off the ground...used the head harness...turned out great. Didn't have it on wide screen unfortunately, and the battery ran out after about one and a half hours...will get a battery bacpac...also need some stuff on the lens to disperse droplets... it rained a bit...just great not to have to worry about water...

Then this morning filmed two of my daughters finishing a 10km fun run with it...and took stills of them together after. I like it...
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #44
Major Player

Do the UK models shoot at 50p?
All the information I've seen seems to indicates they shoot at 60p. If so how do UK users find it mixes in with 50p footage?
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #45
Major Player

George, one of the menu options is 1080p 25 PAL

Just download the manual from the GoPro site. There's not much to know - unlike most cams :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques