Go Pro cameras - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 15th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Go Pro cameras

I have a GoPro HD Hero 2 but am not half as enthusiastic as some of you guys. The image quality is OK-ish but in any other than really good light it isn't great. It doesn't really match in with 'proper' video from DSLRs & camcorders. It's OK for an interesting angle for just a couple of seconds & I prefer to use the medium semi-fisheye look so that it is clearly different from the decent video footage. Art's shot is a perfect example. There are plenty of far better quality cameras to use for safety/C-roll e.g. my wife has a Canon Ixus point & shoot that records far better video than the GoPro at about a third of the price. The GoPro is very good for what it was designed for, attaching to snowboards, immersion in water, sticking on the bonnet/hood of a car etc Art's clip is the perfect example of how I like to use the GoPro just a couple of seconds for a very unusual point of view & he also has the benefit of strong sunshine which we have been missing in the UK for the last couple of months.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I love my go pros! i have both the hd and the Hd hero 2.... The hero 2 is MUCH better then the hero hd. Here's a video i shot a few months ago as a test but you can see the difference between the hd and the 2 not the best video i ever did but its a sample ( keep in mind the hero video had MAJOR color correction) see if you can figure out what ones what:

Im excited to get the the Go Pro remote.
Tom Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #18
Major Player

This has really interested me. As a wedding videographer, I want to have cameras that are nearly hidden and as unobtrusive as possible. Churches in my area are very strict, and very difficult to place cameras in. So, after reading about the GoPro, and attending a rehearsal tonight, I zipped to the nearest Best Buy to pick one or two GoPros up.

But I didn't. Not even one. And here's why.

1. The price of $199 for a naked model is enticing. But you get the bare bones camera and an adhesive mount. That's it. I have a problem sticking anything to church property. I want something mountable to a tripod/light stand or a clamp.

2. Additional mounts (read: cheap plastic pieces) run you $20-40.

3. No way to tell what you're shooting. Unless you spend eighty more bucks for a very small LCD attachment, or the $99 wifi thing.

4. As I was examining the GoPros, some random guy came up to me and said that he didn't recommend them, in favor of a Contour. He said they're cheaper, yet better overall. However, upon checking them out, I'm not any more impressed with them for my uses: a fixed, wide, hidden, 1080p camera for mounting in all kinds of crazy spots, that I can actually see what I've framed. I'd rather duct tape a Flip Camera to the wall (at least I can see what I'm shooting).

For my money, I'd just as soon buy a GH2 and a magic arm (for about a grand total). Much more flexibility, better quality, albeit less "hidden."

Sorry for the anti-GoPro rant, but those are just my thoughts. Perhaps I'm in search of the Holy Grail here.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Corey

I just have a bike mount and stick it on a light stand! I like the idea that you turn it on and that's that..an hour later you turn it off. Seriously with a FOV of even 127 degrees, it's pretty hard to miss your target. At the back of a Church I can hoist it on a light stand, angle it at around 45 degrees and it will take in the floor, roof and everything in between.

The idea from the OP was for a ski trip so the GoPro is ideal...clip it on your head and run down the slope!! I was the one who said I use it for weddings...sometimes I don't even use the GoPro footage but sometimes it's really great.

I still love my GoPro's !!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #20
Trustee

I haven't done any filming for ages and no weddings for longer...I'm not doing any of this for an income...except for my long term project which got me into this in the first place...which is now in post-production. So I'm not looking at the Go Pro for weddings, though if I did one it would come in handy. I want a rugged, indestructable, totally water proof camera, initially for a ski holiday my family are having next month, but for any occasion I would hestitate about using my other cameras...tramping, and such like. Perhaps some of this action footage I will be able to use in my project to illustrate points...or just for interest...

I'm getting a suction cup mount with my Go Pro [along with a tripod mount] thus can use it on cars, etc. With a suction cup at a wedding, you could stick the GO Pro on a window somewhere - any glass - and film from there. Because I want to use it as a still camera as well, I'm getting the BacPac also...

The 'Naked Go Pro' I take it is the Hero, not the Hero 2...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Renton

Yep the Naked Hero was the first model so it doesn't have the ability to change FOV and I think it's only 960 as well. My buddy Chip bought one and on-sold it rapidly..I have an idea the older ones use alkaline batteries..the Hero 2 uses Li-Ion and they last ages!! However buy a spare battery!!!

Definately get the Hero 2!!

Chris
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #22
Trustee

It's on the way... :-) Haven't ordered a spare battery though...

Just watched a video of some guys of the Bahamas baiting a Go Pro with fish to entice sharks to come and chomp on it...to see how it withstood the treatment...filmed right inside the sharks mouths!!!

Pretty impressive under water filming with the flat lens case. I guess you could use them to film an under water wedding!
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I worked with the guys at Reel Vision on this wedding in Ibiza, I hope they don't mind me posting this.

This is day 3 of a 3 day wedding in Ibiza.
The GoPro was used on day 1 to get some shots of the sea lapping up the beach, on day 2 we mounted it to the front of the Rolls Royce and on day 3 I spent pretty much the whole day in the pool.
I always travel with my GoPro for that just in case moment but without it this film would be nothing.

They really are a versatile little camera that always travels with me.

Old June 16th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #24
Major Player

That shot of the drinks being poured into the cocktail at the start was magic! Great use of the GoPro. (Although Corey would just use an EX3 - aye Corey?)
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #25
Major Player

Andrew: amazing video.

John: it's the creative stuff like this that is really tempting me. I guess I had seen the GoPro as a means for one specific purpose for me -- an easily-mountable, discreet camera that shoots 1080p. I'm not so sure that's what I would use one for now. After seeing Andrew's video, I'm definitely rethinking it.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #26
Major Player

Cory, I'm still awaiting delivery of the Hero 2 I ordered a week ago - they appear to have been in short supply at Amazon UK - but I have received the separate tripod mount.

Its £8 but this tiny addon to the bottom of the GoPro enables you to use any number of ways of attaching as it has a standard metal 1/4"20 socket. So lightstands, magic arms etc are all possibilities.

I used a Delkin Gecko double suction mount for a camcorder at yesterdays wedding. I attached it a few inches below the top of a door. It gripped the painted surface perfectly. It went completely unnoticed. I had to point it out to the registrar so she would not inadventently block its view. The bride and groom didn't even realise it was there as I discovered when i was discussing the ceremony with them afterwards. Obviously a GoPro would be even more discreet.

Framing and levelling with the camcorder was a bit fiddly because of not being possible to get a good view of the screen. I anticipate that framing with a GoPro will be much easier with its 127 degrees field of view. I will however probably use the 90 degree view and the smartphone app to aid framing.

This was just one of three cams running and it makes such a difference to the final video to be able to cut between all those different viewpoints. The GoPro would be a fourth.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #27
Trustee

Looks to me like the Go Pro suction Cup is identical to the Delkin ones...though of course there is only one of them...
Old June 17th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #28
Inner Circle

One thing that convinced me was John telling me that he would put a Hero and suction mount on the back of his car and let the limo follow him. Then he would stop and transfer the cam and suction mount to the inside of the limo and let it run.

I never saw any footage but I really liked the idea..those sort of situations couldn't be done on a normal camera unless you made a custom mount and had a fisheye lens on it...with the GoPro you just stick it onto the window, point it at the bridal party and let it run!! Would be some unique footage!!!

Chris
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I love mine! Lots of fun with it.

I had it in my hand holding it the whole time riding roller coaster :)
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Also use it in a wedding clip here (at 3:12)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques