Camcorders only - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 21st, 2015, 10:51 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Re: Camcorders only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
An AX100 is about the same price as a GH4r with a wide angle lens so take your pick.
Hmm, food for thought!

Will have to get some info on lenses for the GH4.
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 10:55 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walsh View Post
Hmm, food for thought!

Will have to get some info on lenses for the GH4.
Note that I specified the GH4r which is the version with no recording limit.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 11:00 PM   #78
Regular Crew

So the GH4 would be cheaper again.

I'm pretty sure that there is no limit on Australian models.

Haven't read much on the GH4r yet, but I will.
Old November 21st, 2015, 11:35 PM   #79
Inner Circle

If you buy an genuine Australian GH4 that actually comes from a dealer, yes, there is no record limit ...the grey imports might be cheaper but they could also have a limit depending where they are sourced from.

My GH1 had no time limit but the firmware had been hacked ...I got that really cheap from the USA and the hack allowed a higher bit rate, NTSC/PAL switching and no time limit so you could always find something like a GH2 or GH3 that has been worked on but remember they won't have any 4K modes.

My issue with the GH4, as great as it is, is having to buy new micro2/3rd lenses ..ouch ..that's why I went with the FZ1000's
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 12:20 AM   #80
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post

My issue with the GH4, as great as it is, is having to buy new micro2/3rd lenses ..ouch ..that's why I went with the FZ1000's
Not quite true. There are adapters for other lens systems like Canon and Nikon if you own any of those, though with some loss of functionality.

Seeking 4k for an unmanned camera, the ax100 has easy setup and maybe longer battery life in its favour. GH4, the chance to add further faster lenses down the line. The fz1000 has a cheaper price, but a recording limit, albeit with remote control via smartphone. There are other options of course. No right answer for everyone, so down to budget, how it would fit in with your other equipment and whether it's being used in very low light situations.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 12:23 AM   #81
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post

I'm hearing you Chris, seriously considering an LX-100 for Low light, "Dance floor. etc" for that reason. Lens and body in one, sorta thing! 15 minute 4K pretty useless though...
They seem to be getting cheaper too!
Old November 22nd, 2015, 12:30 AM   #82
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Not quite true. There are adapters for other lens systems like Canon and Nikon if you own any of those, though with some loss of functionality.
Good point. I'm trying to get accurate info on the functionality of canon primes with the GH4, seeing that I do have some useful canon lenses.
Those adapters aren't cheap.

Last edited by Jack Walsh; November 22nd, 2015 at 01:43 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 01:48 AM   #83
Inner Circle

Sure, I have a nice selection of Nikon mount lenses but I'm lazy!! I prefer to use AF on the camera or at least half shutter press to focus. I ran my EA-50's with Nikon mount lenses and manual focus and it's a lot harder work than push the shutter to focus .. I do like to seek the easy way out and apart from bridal entry I use the FZ1000's without continuous focus ..it's much easier to just half press the shutter ..see what's in focus and record!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 02:41 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Yeah, if I was to get the GH4s I would be using AF compatible only.
So that would mean selling my Canon and going to Panasonic lenses!!!??

Gotta start somewhere I guess!
Old November 22nd, 2015, 12:36 PM   #85
Trustee

Some useful points. GH4 in 4k mode has poor af. Compared to the HD mode, where it is much more reliable, I find in 4K it can find focus then lose it. Even in situations outdoors where you think a deep depth of field would help, it can go in and out of focus. As I predominantly shoot 4k, I do a lot of manual focus, often just setting focus using af before hitting record, then adjusting as and when. Some micro 4/3 lenses like slr magic and voigtlander are manual focus anyway.

In 4K mode, focus becomes even more critical. Indoors especially, its important to check rather than rely on af. Unless you're shooting with a high aperture, I find I have to set focus to a point in the room to ensure as many of the guests are in focus, as the larger sensor and low aperture can contribute to a narrower depth of field even in wide angle. This can end up looking terrible if you're cropping the 4K image in post production. In some ways a smaller 1" sensor can have an advantage there, as depth of field is naturally deeper.

Although I use a GH4r as a B camera, and benefit from easier colour matching in edit, unless you're running a GH system throughout, like I am, more flexibility can be had with something like an AX100, unless low light is a serious issue for you. By all means trade in your main camera for a GH4, but for a B and C camera, you may wish to look to camcorders.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 04:36 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Good info Steve, food for thought.
We can be too reliant on auto focus. been caught out even with camcorders. Learnt the hard way!
Been using a Sony FX1000 for the Aisle cam for ceremonies, then fixed on main speaker at reception, recording Pro Res to Ninja Star. Can get in to trouble if I forget to switch it to man focus after setting in auto.
Will replace the FX with something smaller that shoots 4K, and is good in low light.

Is there a quick way to change the GH4s back to manual focus during recording?
I've done absolutely no research on the GH4, so time to start I guess.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:25 AM   #87
Trustee

Quote:
There's a switch on the GH4 that allows you to go from auto focus to manual; it can be used during recording, so I can sometimes use it to get a lock then switch to manual.
Old November 24th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Quote:
Good info Steve, food for thought.
We can be too reliant on auto focus. been caught out even with camcorders. Learnt the hard way!
Been using a Sony FX1000 for the Aisle cam for ceremonies, then fixed on main speaker at reception, recording Pro Res to Ninja Star. Can get in to trouble if I forget to switch it to man focus after setting in auto.
Will replace the FX with something smaller that shoots 4K, and is good in low light.

I set my G7 up for BBF, I then use it to acquire focus with one press and as soon as released you are in manual
Old November 26th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #89
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I have attached a varavon loupe to the lcd screen so I can hold it to my eye
Noa if you don't mind me asking what model is that Varavon? Is it the low angle EX Supporter for the Canon 60D? Looks like a reasonable setup for bright outdoors.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #90
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post

Seeking 4k for an unmanned camera, the ax100 has easy setup and maybe longer battery life in its favour. GH4, the chance to add further faster lenses down the line. The fz1000 has a cheaper price, but a recording limit, albeit with remote control via smartphone. There are other options of course. No right answer for everyone, so down to budget, how it would fit in with your other equipment and whether it's being used in very low light situations.
I'd add the Samsung NX1 into that mix. 4K. Somebody just announced they were easily able to eliminate the recording time limit entirely in its firmware. You can charge it via USB (while recording, I believe), which seems super nice. It also got the best reviewed focus tracking between it, the GH4 (which did OK), and the Sony A7r (which got terrible video focus tracking reviews... might have been the A7r 2).

My main hesitation is that its a whole new lens system for me. *sigh* Darn it, Canon, stop being so terrible. I love my 70D,but rumors don't mention the upcoming 80D having 4K.

/just saw Steve's info about the GH4 doing poorer with focus tracking in 4K. Good note. Thank you.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques