Scrubbing in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 27th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Scrubbing in Vegas?

Well, hello to all you people...
U know, I've been here for a while finding lots of useful information on the forum but this is my first thread on dvinfo.net, yeah... :)

Let me go straight to the point...
The question is how do you scrub in Vegas? (or do u scrub at all?)

with ctrl+cursor?
I find this way very unoperative because it goes much faster and faster if you move mouse to left or right more, and after few moments, if you are not VERY careful - whhhhshhhhh - cursor is gone far, far away... :/

Theat "ease-in" and "ease-out" with crtl+drag cursor is driving me crazy... Is it somehow adjustable? You simply cannot do it left-right FAST.

It is very easy to do in Premiere... You drag cursor left-right a little bit where you want, then you can quickly move it to another place and do another scrub left-right to check audio and video... Speed of scrubbing is defined by speed of your mouse movement left-right...

Any thoughts, tips, techniques about this will be appreciated...
If it is not clear what I mean, I can do a screen capture to show you.

thanx in advance!
Neboysha Nenadich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #2
Major Player

The keys j-k-l will do it for you. Hit one several times to pick up speed. Set the speed factor in preferences.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #3
Old Boot

Contour Shuttle Pro .. .

You can try the J,K,L keys .. and that which you are trying .. but the long and short of it . .IS to get a a Scrubber device . .I use the Contour SHuttle pro .. it woks .. it's great .. it's slick and it's got buttons too!!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanx for replies folks...

I am just experimenting with JKL keys...
okay, it is far better than ctrl+dragging but unfortunately still not good and smooth like in premiere...

Scrubber device?
hmh, tell me, what is the cheapest solution that can be useful for me?
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

There are already a variety of ways to scrub. I usually use the JKL keys - especially if you want multiple speeds. However, the enter key and space bar can also be used to play at normal speed. You can also use the scrub head on the left side below the track headers. Frequently, I'll just click and drag which DOES create a region. However, I have "collapse region" set so a single click afterwards will remove that region. Finally, I also use the Shuttle Pro. It is very handy for this function.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #6
Old Boot

The Shuttle Pro is great for using the Inner Wheel to go frame by frame. It all seriousness, really the Shuttle Pro is now the ONLY way for me .. I do a lot of graphic stuff within my work and not not having this option NOW would be unthinkable .. . The Outer Wheel helps you accelerate up to 20x in the twinkling of an eye and the inner wheel lets you immeadiately, and I mean immeadiatley, creep frame by frame . . . . marvellous!! Yeah, I did tink it was an extravagance prior5 to purchasing it .. but when I saw it at a Video Show 1 year ago discounted by some 25% I thought, okay, gotta do it!

Regards,

Grazie
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Shuttle Pro
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #8
New Boot

You are not going to get scrubbing like it is in Premiere.
Stephen Warriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #9
Old Boot

Why? Is it better in Vegas? - Yeah, guessed as much . . . Grazie
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #10

People coming from Premiere seem to like Premiere's method better. I've never used Premiere for a comparison so Vegas' method has been fine to me.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #11
Tourist

I like the scrubbing method used in DVD Architect. Left click anywhere in the timeline and drag back and forth. Maybe that is what Neboysha is speaking of.

It would be nice to have that option in Vegas5.
Kevin Lill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #12
Trustee

Yeah that's how Premiere does it and it's great. Same as Avid. Just click on the timeline and drag left and right and no stupid region is created.

I've sent in enhancement requests for at least an option to change to the Premiere/Avid style but, well how likely is it really?

I'm going to be getting a Shuttle Pro soon.

Aaron
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:41 PM   #13
Old Boot

Aaron you wont . . look back?

Grazie
Old February 28th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #14
Regular Crew

yeah, Vegas is great piece of software, this is only thing that bothers me...

The only solution I found that is similiar to Premiere scrubbing (but just for video, not for audio) is to make small region... When you drag that region you then have preview of picture as you are dragging your mouse.

Heh, it seems that people that get used to Premiere's way of scrubbing have problems to get into approach that Vegas is offering... However, who started with Vegas obviously have no problems with this issue
:)
Old February 28th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #15

<<<-- Originally posted by Neboysha Nenadich : Heh, it seems that people that get used to Premiere's way of scrubbing have problems to get into approach that Vegas is offering... However, who started with Vegas obviously have no problems with this issue
:) -->>>

I think you hit the nail on the head. I never used Premiere and have no qualms. However, I can understand missing something you've used in the past.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...