Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 6th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #571
Sponsor: JET DV

Take a look at vol 1 #12 of my newsletter where I talk about blurring faces. Same technique should be applied, only in reverse.

As for the mask, you may want tighter masking than the cookie cutter allows. Instead, you can use the Bezier masking tools to create a better mask.
Old September 6th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #572

What's a "Cribs Intro"? (assuming it's probably some television show I haven't seen?)
Old September 6th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #573
Regular Crew

sorry its an MTV show that show cases celeberties homes.. At the begining they have this shot of blue prints forming to make a drawing of a house. I was looking for that same look, i wish i could show you a screen shot.

Here is a link

http://www.mtv.com/onair/dyn/cribs/series.jhtml
Old September 6th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #574

Could you have an image with and without the blueprint and then do a luminence change between the two? There's a free luminence transition available.

Or maybe just transition between the two but use a more organic transition so different areas appear at different times in different ways.
Old September 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #575
Major Player

Not sure what you are specifically doing but sounds like a tv sports intro I did.Say you want a pan that last 20 sec. Movement left to right from offscreen to offscreen , a box with video content in it.
Lay down the first video,make it 20 sec. add the pan and crop for the full 20 sec clip. Add the next clip above it again 20 sec long but set the start point to wqhere you want it to come in( maybe 3 sec after the first) and drag the left edge adding more video. Drag the right edge to match the 1st.
Copy the pan and crop from the first clip,apply it to the second.
Do this for as many clips you have to span that pan and crop.
Than go to 2nd clip find the in point and if you wants cuts ,split the clip ,if you want to fade move back the number of frames you want faded and split it.Apply the fade.Move up to the next clip and repeat.Each will hold their relative position in the pan.
Make sense?
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #576
New Boot

Thanks Brian:

Yes, I use Vegas 6.0. I tried this and it fixed my problem.

-- Keith
Old September 7th, 2005, 05:49 AM   #577
Major Player

Vegas & HVX200

http://www.dvfilm.com/hvx200/
Old September 7th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #578
Major Player

Multiple Transitions to Multiple Pictures

Is it possible to import multiple picture files and program the length, the overlap, and the transition to be applied to all the picture files upon the import?
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #579

Sort of. Go to Options - Preferences to the Editing tab. There you can adjust the new still image length, specify you want them overlapped (cut to conversion overlap) and the amount of the overlap.

Now when you drag a series of images to the timeline, they will all be set to the length you specified and be overlapped by the amount you specified. By default, they will all have a crossfade.

If you want a different transition for ALL of them, simply select all of the events, drag the desired transition to one of the transitions, and all will be changed to that new transition.

To do more than the above, it's really best to resort to scripting. Scripting can set event lengths, crossfade amounts, and apply any transiton to any crossfade. There are many free scripts available for Vegas and a handful of scripts that cost.
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #580
Major Player

Thank you. That is powerful and quick.
Old September 8th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #581
Regular Crew

PAL Question

I have a client that I am mastering a dvd for whom also wants to try & sell his product in Europe and has requested a PAL version mastered in addition to the NTSC version.
I have yet to run into this situation and am wondering that if in DVDA2 I can just change the project properties of my NTSC project to PAL & be done with it?
And, at which resolution, 720 x 576?
Or do I have to re-render a PAL mpeg or AVI in Vegas first?

Thanks in advance

I just did a search on PAL conversion and I am still confused. Will Vegas 5 do an adeqate job of the conversion?
Do PAL dvd players play NTSC dvd's as one person stated in a similar thread?

Thanks again.
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #582
Regular Crew

credit roll adding

Hello everybody!
I have a video track 2, and track 1 above is in multiply /mask/ compositing mode so that to get custom letterbox on my footage. Ok, but how to put a track with text or titles on my video now? I know that it must be a track above, but there is something wrong because of multiply masked track 1 /letterboxed/. So,what have I got to do? Maybe the problem is by proper setting of compositing modes? Any help???
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #583
Major Player

In Europe, virtually every decent setup (and many non decent setups!) will have zero problem with coping with an NTSC coded disc.. its very much a reverse of the situation in North America where PAL playback can be an absolute nightmare.

Multisync displays outnumber those that cannot display a 60hz picture by at least 100:1 (at a guess!), I've not owned any TVs in the last 10+ years that cannot do this. Some DVD players will even do an "on the fly" conversion to PAL50 (most do PAL60/NTSC output switch) at worst.

You'd have to encode the project again if they are unable to cope with this mind. Personally, I'd supply it in NTSC (unless it was shot on PAL, which is common to get the resolution advantage, but in this case unlikely) , but would check to make sure that is ok first.
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:46 AM   #584
Regular Crew

Brightening background while keeping subject as is?

Hi,

Is there a tutorial or newsletter that shows the steps necessary to use the bezier mask to be able to increase the brightness of a background while keeping the subject the same?

Thanks,

Tony
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #585
Inner Circle

Try the article "Are You Exposed?" at
http://www.dvformat.com/articles/vie...fterinter=true

Mike
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...