Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 45 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 14th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #661
Inner Circle

thats cause the license is only for stereo or 5.1 (ex included)

if you want full ballsy DD manipulation, u need something like nuendo or the standalone Dolby encoder (sonic foundry softencode) which is no longer available.

the trick is to run a stereo track but tun all ur audio into mono. Also, make sure ur environemtn is set to film (tighter spacial environment)

you can do this with 5.1 surround sound, and by muting the FL, FR, RS, LS, and LFE channels on th etrack (Just double click the panner in the track header, and turn off those respective speakers), to emulate the whole 1.0 audio field (basicaly killing off the surround but maintaing the centre channel only) problem with this is that from memry, youstill ahve to render 5.1 which is 5 extra dead channels being rendered out and taking up precious storage space
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #662
Regular Crew

Wow, this thread turned out to be alot more helpful than I imagined, thanks for that last piece of info Brian, that will be very helpful in the future
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #663
Major Player

One of the VfW templates is fields to frames in Vegas 6.
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #664
Trustee

Peter, I did in fact get a mono AC3; not just a stereo or surround with identical channels. From what I can tell, the Mainconcept encoder can create everything from 1.0 to 5.1
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #665
Major Player

MPEG edit techniques

OK...so I know MPEG isn't really a good codec for editing (the whole Group of Pictures thing), but that is the source format for some video I need to slice and dice.

1. What techniques are there in Vegas that will help when editing MPEG-2 video?
2. Should I turn Quanitize to Frames ON or OFF?
3. Are there other Vegas settings or Preferences that should be enabled to edit MPEG-2?
4. Is there any way to zoom in close enough on the timeline to tell where a GOP starts and ends so that I try and split or cut on those natural breaks?
5. Should I just render out to AVI? If so, does that create audio sync problems?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #666
Sponsor: JET DV

1. Render the whole thing to DV-AVI and then edit that. It will save a lot of headaches.

2. ON

3. Nope. It will handle it as-is.

4. I don't believe you'll be able to tell the difference between i-frames and the others. They'll all look the same on the timeline.

5. See #1 :-) Should not be a sync issue.
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #667
Tourist

Video Capture from XL2

I'm using Vegas 5 Vidcapture tool to capture video from my Canon XL2. The video was shot in 16:9, and it looks like it captures it in 16:9, but when I start importing it into my project I can't get the resolution and aspect ratio right.

In the specs for the XL2 the resolution for 16:9 mode is 960x480. If I put the project resolution in Vegas to 960x480 it doesn't look right. If I put it to 720x576 (default) I get a widescreen picture, slightly anamorphic, with the black 'pull down' bits at the top and the bottom.

The best I've got, is 720x576 (default - with the pull down bits) with the pixel aspect ratio set to 'square', but the rendering options don't allow alteration of the pixel aspect.

So I got 2 questions:

1, When the camera records on DV tape, does it record it in 4:3 anamorphic or 4:3 with pull downs or another format I don't know about?

2, What resolution settings can I use to edit and render in Vegas to get a proper widescreen project, that will playback on DVD, in widescreen?

Any help is much appreciated!!
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #668
Sponsor: JET DV

What are your project settings? Go to File - Properties and pick the right setting (i.e. widescreen).
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #669
Tourist

If I use the widescreen setting with res of 720x576 and a pixel aspect of 1.45, the video fills the preview but it's anamorphic.

I've just been playing around with it, and if I set the res to 870x480 with a pixel aspect of 1.0 square, it looks like what it does when it's captureing it. I think I've possibly answerd my own question!!

But of course, I can't render it like that, because the pixel aspect can't be set to 1.0 for the rendering.

If I set the project settings to 870x480 and 1.0 pixel aspect for editing, and use the widescreen setting to render with the pixel aspect of 1.45, will this show as widescreen when playing on a dvd?

Or have I got it all wrong?
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #670
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Anderson
If I use the widescreen setting with res of 720x576 and a pixel aspect of 1.45, the video fills the preview but it's anamorphic.

I've just been playing around with it, and if I set the res to 870x480 with a pixel aspect of 1.0 square, it looks like what it does when it's captureing it. I think I've possibly answerd my own question!!

But of course, I can't render it like that, because the pixel aspect can't be set to 1.0 for the rendering.

If I set the project settings to 870x480 and 1.0 pixel aspect for editing, and use the widescreen setting to render with the pixel aspect of 1.45, will this show as widescreen when playing on a dvd?

Or have I got it all wrong?
Lee,

The 16:9 is still 720 wide. You need to tell Vegas that your footage is 'anamorphic' and then it should know to 'stretch' those 720 pixels out to form a 16:9 ratio. How you do that in Vegas, I don't know. But you certainly don't want to change resolution settings. The ccd block is 960 but that's not what the camera records to tape. So, you will be working with a 720x576 image with an altered pixel aspect ratio that makes it 16:9.

Hope this helps.

-gb-
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #671
Regular Crew

You should look into getting software that is good at editing Mpeg.

I use Mpeg Video Wizard from Womble ($99), and, while it certainly is not equal to Vegas in editing and features, it handles mpeg with a GREAT DEAL more ease than Vegas, and it allows you to join Mpeg segments without recompression.

Gary
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #672
Tourist

Thanks Greg, makes sense now.
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #673
Major Player

Thanks Glenn, So much to learn, so little time....
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #674
Major Player

Edward and Gary,

Gentlemen, thank you specifically for answering my question here, but more than that, thank you for participating in this forum. Both of you make at least part of your living selling your knowledge (scripts, training, etc.) and I have to say how great it is that you give it away freely here when asked. Your participation in this type of forum is exactly why I'll continue to purchase your products.

Patrick
Old September 15th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #675
Inner Circle

what format audio are u encoding to??
as i can guarantee u that vegas doesnt use mainconcept for Dolby Digital encodes...

im curious how you achieved this as it would save many hassles :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...