Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 52 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 27th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #766
Major Player

Bad news. Thanks, Edward. Maybe in Vegas 7. :-(
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #767
New Boot

I'm trying to just get a good render right now - since the .AVI wouldn't play without the images jumpy (on another PC).

So I rendered to MPEG2 (which I think is required for DVD creation anyway??) - and it played without jumping on the other PC. But it did crash windows media player with a memory error (on the other PC!). So I think that the virus software and other suggestions you have made might help that.

What is the best format to render to (.AVI vs MPEG2)?
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #768
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Delucia
What is the best format to render to (.AVI vs MPEG2)?
It depends on what you are doing. If you're going to DVD, rendering to MPEG2 is fine. If you want to keep a higher quality file, render to AVI. Now, you didn't specify what format of AVI you were using. Common is DV-AVI which should play quite well. However, if you go to "Uncompressed" AVI, it could certainly stutter and takes a LOT more disk space.
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #769
New Boot

I could not find DV-AVI as an option when I render.

Is that just using NTSC DV as the template?

Why would using MPEG-2, which goes on a DVD, be lesser quality? I'm confused - wouldn't DVD want a better quality?
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #770

Yes, pick "AVI" as the file type and then NTSC DV as the preset. That is DV-AVI.

MPEG2 is much more highly compressed than DV. For example, if you put 2 hours on a DVD, you're taking 26Gig of source and compressing that to just over 4 Gig. And, yes, that will reduce the quality - especially if you're wanting to do future editing.
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #771
New Boot

Ok - I'm starting to understand - I think.

So, I created each "chapter" as a different Vegas project. I thought I would render each of these to .AVI (since they are made up of .AVI and JPG anyway). I didn't think I would be losing any quality with this.

Each of these .AVI segments would then be put into a new project that put the whole thing together.

That's when I realized that the .AVI wasn't working well. Should a NTSC DV .AVI play on another PC with WINDOWS MEDIA player? Or is that NTSC DV only going to play in Vegas?

How can I make sure that a file I render is good quality? Will rendering be affected by virus software, or will it simply slow down while something like that runs?
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Delucia
Should a NTSC DV .AVI play on another PC with WINDOWS MEDIA player? Or is that NTSC DV only going to play in Vegas?

How can I make sure that a file I render is good quality? Will rendering be affected by virus software, or will it simply slow down while something like that runs?
Yes, a DV-AVI file should play fine on another PC with WMP. Virus software would simply slow things down.
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #773
Major Player

Are you using Vegas 6b by chance. 6c clears up a bug that crashes Vegas during memory intensive renders.
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #774
Trustee

Frame Accuracy???

Occasionally when I render a timeline in Vegas (24p), I find that it is inserting a duplicate frame at some point in the timeline. When I then overlay the new rendered footage over the old region, it is not frame accurate! It is off by one frame! It only seems to happen with codecs other than DV.

And the duplicate frame happens in exactly the same spot each time!

Any ideas??
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #775
Major Player

Thanks Edward --

Will do. Wasn't sure where to find you as I've only known you from these boards.

Will redirect all matters excalibur to there in the future!
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #776
Regular Crew

Thanks Laurence, I am using B, I hadn't checked for an update in a while. I did get it to finally render though. I have an ASUS motherboard that has automatic overclocking and I didn't notice that because I haven't had this many crashes before, but I set it to STANDARD and it rendered fine. It must have been overheating. But I will definately check out 6c. Thanks again.

As an aside I'd like to mention that the Gearshift plugin rocks on multiple levels. It made editing all that HDV footage a breeze. Those VASST fellas make some nice stuff.
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #777

If you downloaded yesterday, you may want to check back today and get the new 4.6 version. Click on the What's new in version 4.6? button for details on some of the changes in this version.
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #778
Major Player

Gearshift is really cool, but IMO Cineform's ConnectHD is the way to go for HD.
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #779
Major Player

I can get in today. And Excalibur 4.6 is out? Thanks Edward!
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King
And Excalibur 4.6 is out?
Yep. Just made it visible this morning. Click on the "What's New" link to see the major changes. Pay particular attention to the new Quick Label tool!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...