Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 48 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:40 AM   #706
Inner Circle

Just make sure that your preview window is set to "Best/Full" or you won't get the best quality grab.
Another option is to use a script like the Automated Photo Snapshot one for doing this. It's a part of the collection at http://s92274348.onlinehome.us/vegas.html

Mike
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:46 AM   #707
Sponsor: JET DV

Do a search here for "DivX" and/or "XVid" which should point you to the proper codec to install so that Vegas can "see" the video.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM   #708

Depends on what you mean by "Real Time". You can apply these effects, press "Play", and the timeline will playback in real time WITH those effects applied. However, if it cannot keep up, a couple of things happen:

1) Preview Quality: You can change the level of preview quality. The default "Preview" is a reduced quality version. For a higher quality, bump it up to "Good"

2) Reduced Framerate: If the computer cannot keep up with the effects in real time, it will start dropping frames. This is all system and effect dependent. Naturally, preview set Preview quality will drop fewer frames than one set to Good quality.

One really neat thing you can do is create a selection area and start a looping playback. Now, while the playback is looping, open the Effect window and start adjusting. You'll see the adjustments LIVE as you make them.

There is no hardware device that will help with the above. If you MUST see higher resolution than the above provides, a couple of options are RAM-Rendering and Prerendering.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:18 PM   #709
Inner Circle

A- Upgrading your CPU would help, although it is pricey.
Seeing Spot's VAAST demonstration, the dual core dual opteron machine he has (4 cores, about equivalent to 3.2ghz Pentiums each) is fast. *Real performance is less than 4X faster... probably about >2X faster.

If on a budget, you may be able to grab a Dell Inspiron 9100 for cheap and cannibalize your old machine (upgrade to dual core... may be like 40% faster than what you havenow). The base system can be a good deal, check hot deals sites for the US. Upgrades are way overpriced.

B- More RAM means longer RAM previews and more stuff can get buffered into memory while you loop.

C- Try Celluloid or Reelpaks (from VAAST) [i forget the exact name], as they render much faster than Magic Bullet. Some of the looks involve the gradient map, which can create banding in some cases. The workaround is to use the secondary color corrector to add tints instead.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:47 PM   #710
Regular Crew

DVD intro sequence?

First, I have been lurking for a few days now and let me say this forum
is awesome. I am a super novice user of Vegas but have been playing around with it for < a year now..Used it last winter to edit a motorcycle Stunt DVD and since then I have been trying to get better..

So my question is related to DVD architect. How do I make a DVD so that it plays an intro movie sequence before the main DVD menu comes up ?
We are currently doing another stunt dvd this winter and I would like our animated logo and trailer to play before the menu pops up ??

Cheers and thanks again for all the great tips and advice I have read thru..

Cheers

SC
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:54 PM   #711

Set the Intro Video as the "First Play" option and then have it "End Action" to the menu.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:17 PM   #712
Regular Crew

Got it...thanks....

Cheers

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Set the Intro Video as the "First Play" option and then have it "End Action" to the menu.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:54 PM   #713
New Boot

Recording audio

How can I record just audio with Vegas? I also have a Canopus ADVC 110 connected to this system. I switched a dip-switch on the bottom of the ADVC but it didn't help.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:43 PM   #714

Via firewire? Use Scenalyzer Live

Via your soundcard? Straight to the timeline!
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:58 PM   #715
New Boot

Merging multiple clips onto track

I shot a series of clips which are no more than 2 seconds long but need to be played in reverse and sped up. There are about 20 of these clips and I was wondering if it's possible to add them all as one onto Track 1 instead of individually so that the envelope edit for time affects every clip on the track, somewhat akin to the "Flatten" feature in Photoshop.

Thanks guys
Old September 24th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #716
Regular Crew

Add the 20 clips to the timeline and select all of them. Right-click on and choose reverse. While all still selected hit G to group them, then Ctrl/drag the right edge of the last one to the left.

Gary
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #717
New Boot

Much abliged
Old September 24th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #718
Regular Crew

HDV m2t workflow if going back to m2t? possible?

Hello. I am working on a project for a client and they want me to edit some footage they shot in HDV. I have the m2t files, and I have used HDV before as I have an FX1, but I have only converted them to quicktime or AVI's to edit them and not worry about getting them back to mpg/m2t files. But they want me to do this. Is it even possible without Cineform? They also want me to create a log of some sort, how do I do this?

sorry for the noob-esque questions.

thanks
Jamie
Old September 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #719
Major Player

Hey there. I know this thread was quite a while ago, but no one suggested a motion blur envelope, which would have accomplished the blurring of light without blurring anything else, and it's built into Vegas. At least, Vegas 6.
Old September 24th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #720
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Francis
Hello. I am working on a project for a client and they want me to edit some footage they shot in HDV. I have the m2t files, and I have used HDV before as I have an FX1, but I have only converted them to quicktime or AVI's to edit them and not worry about getting them back to mpg/m2t files. But they want me to do this. Is it even possible without Cineform? They also want me to create a log of some sort, how do I do this?

sorry for the noob-esque questions.

thanks
Jamie
Usually helps those who would love to offer assistance if you give some idea of what computer platform you're using (Mac/PC) and what editing software (NLE) you currently have.

This answer will be "hit or miss" without such information, but:for PC - if you get the demo version of AspectHD or ConnectHD and your NLE can write to MPEG2 Transport Stream of the same frame rate and bitrate of the HDV stream used, you can then use the Cineform HDLink utility to write back to camera. (tip: m2t is MPEG2 transport stream, so any *.mpg that is MPEG2 TS just needs the three character file type extension changed to .m2t and HDLink can use it... this works in reverse for player apps and NLE's that don't "natively" support HDV)

For Mac, I believe LumiereHD provides much the same functionality...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...